Quantcast

Adjusting X.7 Derailluer......need some help!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

My brothers bike is setup with X.7 stuff. He was complaining of shifting issues so I figured I'd check it out. He did bend the hanger a little bit but I think I got it strightened out.

Problem is I don't think the Low (or L) screw does anything. I don't have much in the way of adjustment in that screw. So far I got the bike shifting OK up to the last (going from small to bigger ring) 2-3 rings on the back. It may just be a cheap chain but I swapped out the Sun-Race JUJU cassette for a LX one to see if it would help any (it did, but not a ton).

If it's riding rough on the larger rings in the cassette what should I look for? I've always setup new stuff from Shimano and it's been a piece of cake. This isn't that hard either but his bike has full length housing (no regular cable stops) so I can't prestretch the cable or anything. I did get it shifting good enough just for the glitch I can't fix while shifting into like 7 to 8.

Any ideas??? He also has X.7 shifters as well if that helps any.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
um you prolly need to use the shifter barrel to adjust it its not on the derailer like shimano

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Nope, no barrel on the SRAM stuff.....

Plus the bike has full length cable housing so I can't really "stretch" the cable by hand. The frame only has hydro hose guides (no cable stops or anything except for the front der.)

I'll make sure everything is stright and go at it again.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
sram runs the barrel adjuster on the actuall shifter. if he bent the hanger and straightend it and it's still skipping then it's probably not straight and just needs to be replaced. but check the cable for kinks and make sure it's tight, and if there's no kinks then use the barrel adjuster

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Did you pull the housing and see if the ends need trimming? Make sure it's not bent at either end.

I've had the housing crack and cause issues.