Quantcast

Adobe Monkeys! Digitalis!

Adobe Aperture 1.0; 1.1 or (Gasp!) 1.5! Do you Use It?

• Yes I do and I love it!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No I don't and What the Hell are you Babbling about?

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I'm tempted!

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Just installed and started to use Aperture - may I say it? Holy Phuc'n Geezus!

Toys!!!! Yay!

:monkeydance: :clapping: :monkeydance:

Anybody else using it?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Adobe aperture?

Do you mean Apple Aperture, or adobe lightroom?

I have tried both, don't like either one of them. Both have demos now. I will stick to Capture one and Iview media pro.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Damn, yer right - Apple Aperture. ugh.

Well, I'm liking it for a few specific features. I'm guessing Transcend has a much higher demand list than I do - I'm purely amateur but I can't abide by the iPhoto limitations.

I have and use Photoshop CS1 and don't need to upgrade it, but i've also got well over 4,000 digital images to manage and Photoshop's browser is too clunky when doing the big numbers...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Damn, yer right - Apple Aperture. ugh.

Well, I'm liking it for a few specific features. I'm guessing Transcend has a much higher demand list than I do - I'm purely amateur but I can't abide by the iPhoto limitations.

I have and use Photoshop CS1 and don't need to upgrade it, but i've also got well over 4,000 digital images to manage and Photoshop's browser is too clunky when doing the big numbers...
Well, I REALLY wanted aperture to work, but it falls short. Since the first release it has been flawed. They are slowly ironing the problems out, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

It is still slow as molasses, even on my mac pro, especially when compared to C1 and Iview.

They have fixed the bad output, crashing, stupid database structure and sped it up a fair bit, but it still needs a lot of work. In Iview, I can be selecting, categorizing, keywording and trashing images within about 30 seconds of adding files to the DB. In aperture, it is more like 20 mins and the files aren't even all loaded up yet. It's absurd.

Lightroom seemed much snappier, and the adjustments were more familiar to me from having used photoshop forever, but I just didn't like the whole feel and layout of things, I prefer Aperture in this aspect.

I will say though, Aperture has some sexy web galleries. Mega easy to use, fast to build (on my Macpro, forget about it on my G4 powerbook) and look fantastic. The dual monitor setup is awesome as well.

The part I was most excited about was the keywording and organization and I feel that both applications fall short here. I keyword and categorize EVERYTHING. I have to, at 16 000+ images a season, I would never be able to find anything. Both applications are convoluted to setup keywording the way I want (althought the latest aperture update made it light years better). Iview is super easy drag and drop thumbnails to categorize, and is MUCH faster. Searching in Aperture is tedious. Start a search and get a cup of coffee slow..I mean drive to seattle for starbucks and fly home slow. In iview, it is one click and 2-3 seconds.

Anyways, they all have demos. Try them all out and find what works best for you. I need my applications to be snappy, i get angry when my computer lags behind me (it's not a healthy situation).

Personally I use Iview to organize, C1 to process and Photoshop for fine tuning if needed. I use Aperture for galleries - after i have done all of my selections and edits I import the final files and dump 'em to a gallery.

BTW the photoshop CS3 browser (bridge) is MUCH better than before. It is useable now to some extent.

Iview - http://www.iview-multimedia.com/
Capture one - http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/PROSoftware.aspx

I haven't tried the Iview update. They were bought by MS and it is now called expressions.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Well, Fraze - I'll be the last one to ever say you're not forthcoming with pithy and useful responses!

Thanks!

I'll muddle along with Aperture for a bit - see what I can update/edit/create and keep an eye out for CaptureOne - I bought this Aperture from a local photog who was upgrading to an Intel mac and got a deal on the newer 1.5.

Still beats my complaints about iPhoto, tho. Both are no speed-demons... Not that i'd notice on my G4 powerbook, either way...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, Fraze - I'll be the last one to ever say you're not forthcoming with pithy and useful responses!

Thanks!

I'll muddle along with Aperture for a bit - see what I can update/edit/create and keep an eye out for CaptureOne - I bought this Aperture from a local photog who was upgrading to an Intel mac and got a deal on the newer 1.5.

Still beats my complaints about iPhoto, tho. Both are no speed-demons... Not that i'd notice on my G4 powerbook, either way...
Wait, he paid for 1.5? It is a free update to 1.0.... I hope he didn't sell it to you for full price, they dropped the price like $300 recently.

For the g4 powerbook, all digi darkroom apps suck. The only one that felt the least bit snappy was Iview, and it doesn't process raw files. I fought with C1 forever until I just realized my powerbook is slow. I still use it when on the road however and just deal with it.

Grab the demos of the other aps and give 'em a spin just to try them out, see what works best for you and your workflow. I am constantly trying new photo related apps in search of the holy grail. Maybe Aperture 2.0 will nail it.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
The new 1.5.2 version of Aperture seems to have really spead up the browser on my MBP.

As for the app itself, since 1.5 came out I've seen even greater potential in it and have really changed my workflow to fit in better with Aperture. About 80% of my time I'm happy with the application, 20% I'm waiting on it to do something.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Wait, he paid for 1.5? It is a free update to 1.0.... I hope he didn't sell it to you for full price, they dropped the price like $300 recently.

For the g4 powerbook, all digi darkroom apps suck. The only one that felt the least bit snappy was Iview, and it doesn't process raw files. I fought with C1 forever until I just realized my powerbook is slow. I still use it when on the road however and just deal with it.

Grab the demos of the other aps and give 'em a spin just to try them out, see what works best for you and your workflow. I am constantly trying new photo related apps in search of the holy grail. Maybe Aperture 2.0 will nail it.
No, i think he got it as a favor from the local apple store - he does some work for them. no cost for his upgrade, very very cheap for my used software :clapping: so no complaints...

I've never used any of the higher-end darkroom apps, just finally got tired of manually using Finder+PS CS1+it's 'browser' or iPhoto and it's funky library manager...

I'll try the demo for each and see if anything works for me... that is, better than anything else.

If it helps. i'm using the Aperture for Slower G4's...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What GPU is in your Mac? Aperture does most of its processing on the GPU.
Actually, it doesn't. Only select jobs are passed along to the GPU. Most of the work comes from the main processors as usual. In fact, even with the fastest mac vid cards out there, aperture is still laggy and none of the interface and general program work is offloaded.

Basically, they just really need to go back to the drawing board.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I was under the impression that it was performing the majority of its work through CoreImage which leverages the PS units on the GPU. There are several threads over on the Apple Aperture forums with people having horrible performance issues in Aperture on GeForce FX based cards, which is a POS GPU. When they upgrade the card to either a newer GeForce card or ATi GPU they have a very noticable increase.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Transcend, your method of using Iview (infranview? or is it a mac thing?) to put keywords and then put them into a Database sounds really good. What program do you use for the database?

Right now, I just use explorer with a bunch of organized photos.

I think i'm going to need a mac soon with all the photos (and soon video) i'm doing. What would be a good laptop? I would rather not have widescreen (preferably 14"/15"). I don't have a million dollars...:rant:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
well, i've just started to use iView Med Pro on my older G4 powerbook and it's rockin' fast!

I'm still fooling around with it's features, but there's no comparison, speed wise.

Now, just to figure out how to combine the results between the two...

oy!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Transcend, what do you think of Adobe Camera Raw vs. Capture One? Do you find Capture one a lot quicker?
I prefer capture one as I can do batches at a time and see more than one photo and adjust more than one photo. You can't really do that in Adobe Raw, and bridge was a HUGE pile of crap - and still didn't do it well. The new CS3 bridge seems much better, but still the same complaints adjustment wise.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I prefer capture one as I can do batches at a time and see more than one photo and adjust more than one photo. You can't really do that in Adobe Raw, and bridge was a HUGE pile of crap - and still didn't do it well. The new CS3 bridge seems much better, but still the same complaints adjustment wise.
Yeah, i had a chance to use bridge for cs2 and considered it e-swill...

yeccchhh.

okay, fine, nothing worth writing code for except the next generation of cpu's.

get me back to windows, i guess.

bastards.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There's a demo version of pro, and LE does everything 99% of people need it to do.

OH forgot to add: If you buy a sandisk Extreme 3 Mem card, you can now get a free copy of captureone LE. It's a special offer they have going.

--------
The SanDisk® corporation, the world's largest supplier of flash memory data storage products, offers Capture One LE RAW workflow for FREE with all SanDisk extreme performance memory cards: Extreme III.

Starting October 16, 2006, for a limited time only, SanDisk will include a coupon in their Extreme packaging for online registration and download of Capture One for free in Europe, Americas and a few countries in Asia. Capture One LE normally retails at $ / € 99. The product bundle is available at SanDisk retail stores.

SanDisk's awarded Extreme III CompactFlash™ cards are designed to meet the requirements of professional photographers, who work under less than ideal conditions and therefore expect more from their equipment. More speed. More performance. More reliability. Extreme III provides all this plus a whole lot more.

Photographers, who expect more, also want more out of their images. Therefore, they shoot RAW instead of JPEG. This is the reason why SanDisk offers Capture One RAW workflow as part of the Extreme III package.

Capture One is renowned for producing exceptionally high image quality and providing a professional workflow suitable for high volume production. For the demanding professional or the enthusiastic amateur, who wants 100% certainty that he gets the most out of his images, the combination of SanDisk's rugged and reliable Extreme flash cards and Phase One's high quality RAW workflow is simply the best!

For further information about SanDisk Extreme III please visit the SanDisk website