Quantcast

Adopting a cat or two

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody here adopted a cat or two? My girlfriend and I should be moving into a new apartment soon, which is pet friendly (finally). We'd love to get a cat, and I'm a huge fan of adoption from a shelter. Anybody BTDT? I'd love to get an adult and a younger cat, but I'm not sure how they would get along. What can I expect at the shelter?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We adopted two kittens from the same litter from the Humane Society. While kittens are certainly cute as hell, they are also terrors who don't let you sleep. If we ever adopt cats again, I'd want adults.

The shelter will probably just show you the cats they have and say "help yourselves", then run through all the medical FYI (spay, neuter, etc) and maybe give you some basic instructions if you haven't owned cats before. The adoption process is very easy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I keep waiting for something to happen in that image.

I've owned cats before, but never adopted. We usually picked up a cat from a local farmhouse and took care of the shots and everything ourselves. No we're in the city, where there are no farms. I'd rather help out a local shelter anyways.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I had a kitten that my aunt gave me and when she was around three years old I decided she needed a playmate so I adopted another three year old from the shelter. I went in, told them what I was looking for and they showed me teh kittehs that matched my criteria. It was quick and painless. That was about five years ago and I still have both cats

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
When me and my ex went looking for a cat a year and a half ago at shelters/rescue places, we found that most of the adults were pretty FUBAR'd. Sad, but true...Either abused and neglected resulting in serious mental issues or mentally jacked from birth.

We ended up getting two kittens out of the same litter after it started to become clear we didn't have the capacity to deal with a messed up adult cat. They've both been awesome, now a year and a half old. I think a key part of them being well behaved and social is raising them together, and being introduced to more than a few humans. The brother (Mars) will be your best friend within 30 seconds of meeting you.

OMNOMNOM

tunnelvision

Monkey
Oct 25, 2007
Ive adopted 3 cats about a year and a half a part from eachother. The first was from my fiances coworker. she was moving out of state had the cat since kittenhood and was probably 10 yrs old when we got her. she was a good cat but we had to put her down for medical reasons about 3 years after getting her. While Cloe was still alive we adopted a cat for my birthday present and Cloe hated him and the dog we got as well. she was very possesive of us and wouldnt let anything near when it was "her" time.

My birthday cat Buddy is the best cat ever, but he likes to bite people so if you come over, when you least expect it he will get you. his favorite place to clamp down is right between you thumb and pointer finger, right on the webbing part. He loves all animals and likes attention, he is my favorite.

Then there is Buster, he passed out in my Fiances arms at the pound so he came home with us....little did we know he really doesnt like people, at all, and was just tired that day. he goes out of his way so we dont touch him, gets mad when we do touch him. The dog on the other hand, he LOVES the dog, sleeps with the dog, cries when the dog goes outside, eats with the dog, plays with the dog, cleans the dog... you name it and on top of that his excrement can take paint off a wall. So yeah its a crap shoot when adopting, all in all I wouldnt trade any of them, good luck

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have 2 cats and a dog and if I were you I would stick with younger cats or kittens until you have a solid base on how things work with them. Most older cats come with a ton of psychological damage and can be a handful if you're a first time owner. Kittens or young cats can be easier to train and thye typically haven't been through a bunch of crap....D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My wife and I have 4 cats, all adopted from shelters. One of them was an adult when he was adopted, the other three kittens...two from the same litter. If you get a kitten be prepared to clean poop off of em...they tend to go to the bathroom and step in it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I adopted a five year old cat earlier this year - no amount of adult cat baggage could be worse than a few months of psycho kitty terror. Plus adult cats are much harder to adopt and more likely to be gassed than kittens are.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It's a slippery slope, ya know. Before long, you'll have 15 of 'em, your neighbors will compain about the overpowering ammonia stench and you'll become a mumbling recluse who only ventures out for more kitty vittles on full moon nights.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We adopted one about a year ago. We love her, but she's a terror. She is extremely vocal and sleeps on fiance's head (she tried with me but got chucked across the room). Otherwise, it's awesome having a kitty to come home to and play with.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
All the pets my parents have are from shelters. You've me them, they're sweet.
Not sure if you ever met that terror Jenny had. Horrid cat. Came from a farm.
I'm not saying all barn cats are mean, but this one was straight-up wild.