Quantcast

Advance directives for health care

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A good friend of mine owns a funeral home. I will have to ask him what the weirdest burial he has ever executed.

I illegally placed my mothers ashes in Shenandoah national park. Wanted to make sure it wasn't a spot that was going to be a Walmart some day.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've always expressed the desire to be tossed into the woods so my dead body can complete the circle of life. That sounds like it would have legal ramifications however so cremation it is. I should probably have some sort of formalized statement put together, but I don't plan on dying any time soon so I can skate by for a little while.
There are body farms out there that will use your remains for decomposition studies.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Or you can have 1st year med students attack your dead body with a scalpel.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have one. just make sure your friends and family know that you do and where to find it. Keep a copy in your home so if the FD or Medics get called it can be presented before transport and that it goes with you to the hospital, do not rely on anyone procuring an electronic copy in the heat of the moment. Once you are hooked up to tubes no one is going to pull them without a direct court order.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have one. just make sure your friends and family know that you do and where to find it. Keep a copy in your home so if the FD or Medics get called it can be presented before transport and that it goes with you to the hospital, do not rely on anyone procuring an electronic copy in the heat of the moment. Once you are hooked up to tubes no one is going to pull them without a direct court order.
My lawyer said a common place to leave these documents is in a chest freezer. They are fireproof and apparently, first responders know to look there.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
My lawyer said a common place to leave these documents is in a chest freezer. They are fireproof and apparently, first responders know to look there.
No we don't, That said out here on the west coast those are rare. And I cannot say that in all my years as a fire fighter then as an ambulance guy we were ever trained to look anywhere for documents. We rely on the patient or family to let us know they exist and to present them. In an emergency we are in load and go mode and we don't waste time going through files or freezers. That's just my experience on the front lines.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
No we don't, That said out here on the west coast those are rare. And I cannot say that in all my years as a fire fighter then as an ambulance guy we were ever trained to look anywhere for documents. We rely on the patient or family to let us know they exist and to present them. In an emergency we are in load and go mode and we don't waste time going through files or freezers. That's just my experience on the front lines.
My old man was a first responder, and we had a chest freezer. This is the first I've ever heard of that. The only thing that went in the freezer was groceries.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My old man was a first responder, and we had a chest freezer. This is the first I've ever heard of that. The only thing that went in the freezer was groceries.
This is a good thing. Would want an errant 911 call to result in discovery of my hooker head collection.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have docubank which has all of my directives and POAs. The card which clearly states directives on it sits behind my drivers license. One phone call and you'll have everything you need as a medical professional, including current medical records. Worth the $35/yr imho.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Ok here are the California rules that I, as an EMT understand them. Unless we are presented a signed harcopy of a POLST, Advanced directive, etc at the time we arrive we are to perform all treatments that are within our scope of practice until such documents are presented to us.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was caring for my mother in home hospice style I had DNR orders posted on her bedroom door and strapped to the bed.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok here are the California rules that I, as an EMT understand them. Unless we are presented a signed harcopy of a POLST, Advanced directive, etc at the time we arrive we are to perform all treatments that are within our scope of practice until such documents are presented to us.
Interesting. Our documents are all scanned, hard-copy documents. No electronic signatures.