Quantcast

Advantages in height for DH racing.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
Do you think that taller people are faster DH racers? It seems like a lot of podium guys are rarely under 5'10"

If everyone had the same skill what would be the perfect body structure for DH racing, weight and height?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Big guys - Usually more room for absorbing stuff.

Small guys - Lower center of gravity.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
It's no so much the height as it is the build. Look at the body types of top DH racers versus XC racers. Big, powerful builds (Kovarick, Rennie, etc.) have an advantage on lot of courses where power and stregnth come into play. Same concept of marathon runners versus sprinters. Power/strength versus endurance.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Power is definitely an important factor, but the likes of Minnaar, Hill, Neethling [Andrew] etc aren't exactly power houses. I think each body type has its advantages and disadvantages, and it is the riders who maximise the advantages and minimise the disadvantages that eat the cake and take the ribbons.

Although that said... after time on the circuit riders definitely tend to bulk out, not sure if this is due to the rigors of riding, or because of additional/ supplemental off season training. Oh wait... I think it may have to do with something else... :cheers:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys ever seen mick hannah in person?

He's like 3 feet tall but looks like one of those little muscle men you buy for a quarter at the grocery store. I had to move out of his way when he walked by me to make room for his calves.

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
Im tall too, but im the slowest guy on our team... most likely because of the mental part of riding, not the physical; I probly have the biggest legs.....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think that height is definitely an advantage. There aren't that many really short, really fast guys out there. Height gives you better extension and better ability to absorb bumps...at least up to a point. Not that short guys can't be fast, I just think it's harder. I think that height is probably one of the reasons why women post slower times.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I think that height is definitely an advantage. There aren't that many really short, really fast guys out there. Height gives you better extension and better ability to absorb bumps...at least up to a point. Not that short guys can't be fast, I just think it's harder. I think that height is probably one of the reasons why women post slower times.

Several of the fastest riders in the NW are shorter.
Height has nothing to do with women being slower.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
A buddy of mine that i have ridden with for a couple years and travelled with last year is 6'5 and i'm 5'8 or so.... Like someone else said being tall has it's advantages and being shorter has it's advantages. In tight twisty trails i can loose him easier beacause he's not as nimble. But following him in practice for the a-line race in Whistler i had no chance of keeping up because he could suck up all the lips at high speed and if i followed at the same speed i'd be landing flat....

We we're riding with a friend of ours in Saint Anne, and we took off into a rocky section about half way down, and when we got to the bottom our friend was amazed that we rode the same trail completly different, but basically at the same speed.... Spots where he would suck up a big rock in the middle of the trail I would eaither boost off of it to find a tranny of the other side, or i would be able to qucikly move around it.

I think it comes down to mostly mental ability. Unless your 5'2 or 7 feet tall it could be a bit harder with balance and bike sizing etc.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Nico? Missy? Leigh?

Height has advantages, but skill can easily overpower it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My buddy who races pro is like 5'9-5'10. He is fast as hell.

I am 6'1 and pretty damn slow most of the time. I dont ride with really anyone else whos my height. Everyone else is shorter. And better. =]

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Who is that world-famous freerider that is freakishly short? Robbie Bourdon? Also, Bender ain't that tall either.

I say its all about the skills. Brass balls never hurt either.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
DH probably has the broadest range of different body types, and they all get on the podium. When Neethling gets a podium, then Peat does, then Hannah and Sam Hill, you can't say that there's one optimal body height.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
everyone just adapts to a different riding style that works best for them. i don't think height is a factor.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Nico? Missy? Leigh?

Height has advantages, but skill can easily overpower it.
Yeah, I didn't say it couldn't...I just think that everything else being equal a taller person (within reason) has an advantage over a shorter one...of course, everything else is never equal.

I'm not saying that shorter or average height people can't be good- just that taller people have an advantage. If that's true, then it has to be reflected some way in women's times compared to men. Not saying it's the most important factor (far from it), just that it has some effect.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't know, smaller people can maybe corner better because they're lower to the ground in terms of COG? Even hypothetically I don't know if there's an advantage.

thevan

Chimp
Jan 5, 2002
seattle/boulder?
I would say the only advantage us tall riders (i'm 6'8")have is extra travel in our limbs...like the ability to case anything and get away with it....or suck up a drop or stay down on a lippy jump.....
other wise it is definetly a disadvantage for me in tight trees and some corners........IE:I have to lean the bike between my legs, instead of leaning my whole body in corners......or I smack a tree with my head or shoulder......

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
i'm 6'2, and i've always thought tall(er) people tend to move the bike around a lot more than riders who are on the short side. you can't always just lean your body and bike into a corner, sometimes you've gotta compensate with one or the other, usually the bike.

just thought about this....does being taller allow you to get more weight over the front wheel in turns and decrease chances of washing out? hhmm.....

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
All good points, but i was asking; say you have three riders all equal in skill, when it comes down to it, geometry and physics, who would be the fastest rider in a modern tech DH course? 1st rider 5'5" 2nd 5'10" 3rd 6'4". I believe it would be close tie between the 2nd and 3rd rider because of ability to take a better bumb absorbtion, momentum gravitational mass pulling you faster down the mtn, and further extension of the bike due to longer limbs.

There has to be a computer algorithem out there that can solve this. Wouldnt this make a good "Myth Busters" episode?!

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
^ that doesn't make sense. Firstly, because each will be riding a different size and should thusly be relatively equivalent in bike manipulation. While the taller ones may have an easier time with taller trail obstacles, the shorter ones will have a lower center of gravity as others stated. I would take those points to be moot, since each has advantages and disadvantages.

Assuming identical resistance, the 3 riders will have identical acceleration. Moreover, height isn't a measure of mass, so stating one has more momentum than the other is invalid also.

Generally, I think it's pretty much an even playing field unless you are nowhere near the standard deviation for height.