Quantcast

advantages of a Ti spring?

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
looking to pull the trigger on upgrading my Fox DHX 5.0 coil shock from the stock steel spring to a Ti spring. besides weight what are the advantages of having a Ti spring? is it an upgrade in ride quality/feel? let me know what your thought are, it would be much appreciated. thanks

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I'm thinking of upgrading the spring in my Lefty Max to a titanium spring. I hear it feels a little smoother and saves a little more than two ounces bringing the weight down close to 4lbs.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't think there's any difference besides weight. When people say they feel different that's probably because it and the steel spring probably aren't the exact same rate. There's some variation among mass produced springs of any material.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
I just got back from my LBS and the owner was telling me about some custom made Ti coils for Fox DHX 5.0. He said they were only available to sponsored riders for the World cup and were not RCS coils.
Anyone know about this?

Sep 12, 2004
if your not a WC rider, then does it matter?

WC riders get lots of special parts, custom valving, custom cranks, custom bikes...you cant get them, you cant beat them, done and done

i have a ti coil, really it just saves weight

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Saves Weight.

Uniform feel. Over time, a steel spring will become more "worn out" and feel different than when initially set-up. A Ti-spring won't, it will always feel the same as the day you bought it.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
weight is about it, some people with ccdb which is way different than a dhx said the steel spring felt better to them than the titanium they also used

rfx_turner

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Sure, it's less weight - but I'm sure most people (like myself) get it cause it looks way cooler with it on. I have it on my Avalanche (best rear shock) and it looks pimp. So if you have to money to spend, get it - u won't be disappointed - just envied

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:huh:

A can of spray paint will accomplish the same "look" and you can Paypal me the rest of the money for the idea, thanks.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Saves Weight.

Uniform feel. Over time, a steel spring will become more "worn out" and feel different than when initially set-up. A Ti-spring won't, it will always feel the same as the day you bought it.
This is partially correct the steel wears out faster than a ti spring.