Quantcast

Advantages of a wider bar....?

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
When does a +29" bar come into place? When is it overkill? I understand for stability at speed, but is that it? At what rider height would it be avdantageous. Obviously a 5ft 4in rider would not want this. Just trying to gain more perspective on it. Thanks.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
trend points+++++++++

i started running the new sunline 29.5" bar a few weeks ago and like them alot more then my old ones (27.5"), i don't really notice any difference handling wise but for comfort they are alot nicer on my body (6'1)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its for more stability at speeds, better leverage for manhandling the bike, and I know for myself at 6'1" it helps reduce the fatigue on my shoulders/shoulder blades/upper back on long days of riding.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wider is better for big folks. I run a 28" bar and it helps, I wish I could get a wider bar for my motorcycle for the same reason.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Wider is better for big folks. I run a 28" bar and it helps, I wish I could get a wider bar for my motorcycle for the same reason.
at some point putting a steering damper on your dirt bike is more advantageous. :)

My moto bars are wide, but I hit stuff (trees, stumps, etc) in the woods if I am not carefull. :) My MTB bars are Renthal moto/trials bars and are 28" wide. Been running them (have two pair now, on the DH and Commuting bike) for 8 years now. I use a shim to match them to MTB diameter. 28 inches does not feel narrow to me at all for MTBs, my think my moto bars are wider (plus the Cycra bark busters lol)

I think back to some of my buddies bikes in the early 90's... the Scott bull horn bars (bar and barend combo one piece) especially. They were NARROW. The brake lines got in each others ways my buddy had to stagger their hight to have them clear. lol Never like those.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
at some point putting a steering damper on your dirt bike is more advantageous. :)
I was talking about my street bike, but I know what you mean. I have a 27" drag bar on there now and on road trips, I feel it in my shoulders. I spend a lot of time single handed, thank goodness for throttle locks. :D

I had the widest bars I could find on my Husaberg. IIRC they are Azonics (Answers?).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
search function.......

Seriously, how many threads do we need for this, I think we see one about once a week now?

I am glad to see wider bars in DH now, we can properly fit more people to thre bikes now.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'm thinking of running wide bars. We don't have trees in AZ, only up North. I'm thinking it may be worth it. I love the Sunline bars, have a 28" one on my Bullit.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
I was riding 27.5" bars and recently made the switch to 32" gravity lights. At first it felt pretty weird when pedaling at slow speeds but when you start going fast, that's where they come in handy...

now after 3 weeks on them, I still didn't cut them and still love the feel of the bar...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I was riding 27.5" bars and recently made the switch to 32" gravity lights. At first it felt pretty weird when pedaling at slow speeds but when you start going fast, that's where they come in handy...

now after 3 weeks on them, I still didn't cut them and still love the feel of the bar...
Wow that is a big jump. I have always found 28" bars to feel a bit narrow as I tended to ride with half of my hands off the ends of the bars. Many a day at whistler with bruises mid-palm from my bar ends. Even way back in my BMX days I would run plugs to get a wider bar.

At 6' even and fairly wide shoulders, the 29.5 sunlines feel great...just the extra that I had been wanting. I also have a pair of the g-light 31.5s and in all honesty they feel too big. I might be able to 'work up to them' but they seem, for me at least, to be that little too much that would make a dedicated DH bike even less versatile.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
well I'm almost 6' 3" and I have pretty wide shoulders, so a 27.5" bar was way too short for me...

since I have them, I only had one mishap with a tree in a not-so tight spot which resulted in a small bruise on my right shoulder (my hand clipped the tree first, I was riding gloveless but didn't get a single scratch...). On some super techy trails where you don't need that much speed they can become tougher to handle but since the majority of the trails at bromont are rather fast, they seem to work amazingly well!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin

I did the same, went from 27.5" ProTapers to 31.5" Gravity Lites. I'm 6'1" with a 6'5" wingspan and wide shoulders. I like the extra width for sure, but haven't had enough time to decide if I need them at full motocross width. :) Might knock them back to 30" but will wait on that.

My XC hardtail has a 28" flat bar and I'm totally in love with that.

Jun 16, 2008
Wider bars also allow you to not jerk the bars as much, which is a sense to turn yoy dont have to move the bars as much as you would shorter bars. Mine are 30.5 wide took lock on grips and moved them off the bars to make them even wider at 32.5 =0