Quantcast

Advantages/Weight of 12 or 10 mm x 135mm

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok so I have an opportunity to run either a 12mm or 10mm on my new dh bike and I am on the fence as to which to run. At this point I am running a 135mm x 10 I9 hub with a hadley bolt which is really great but I am being forced into the 12mm option due to availability.

My question to everyone is do you notice a difference with the larger axle? Is it worth just going to the 12?

I am trying to keep this bike light as possible because i will trail ride on it a bit but i am not sure if there is even a weight penalty with the 12, if that is case i might just stick with it and build a new rear wheel.

Thoughts? Thanks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the main difference would be that most 12mm systems are dedicated through axles. which in theory would be stiffer.

i dont know what your 10mm drop outs look like.

the vp free has a 12x 150 hub, but uses a conventional drop out design, so it kinda doesn't take advantage of the 12mm axle.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
not to steal the thread, but are you familiar with a demo 8 frame? it has vertical drop outs and a bolt on hub right now, they call it a hollow thru axle and 135 spacing I will be building wheels later in the year. what hub would i want just a bolt on if made, or a 10 or 12 thru axle?

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
also with regard to the first question, what i asked, can kind of answer it too, but i don't think theres that much of a weight penalty from a 10mm axle to a 12mm axle, i just am not sure if all bikes will accept a 12 or a thru axle at all

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The 10 mm was just a standard mtb dropout on my bottlerocket. My new bike comes with either a 10mm or 12mm (blindside) but the 10mm are not available. I wanted to stick with the simple 10mm but that just isnt an option.

I am wondering if i should plan to go back to the 10 once available or just run the 12mm. Keeping in mind i like the simplicity of the 10mm and low weight. Like said above i cant imagine the 12 weighing much more few onces possibly which i could care less about.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
All over man, as for dedicated dh trails we have none but spend most weekends at resorts...Springs, snowshoe, wisp, diablo...we are working on some stuff...travel alot as well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so the 10 was like mine, a bolt on? where the 12 is a true thruaxle?
yeah just like a qr dropout im only 160 lbs never had a problem with it anywhere even at whistler and places so i dont want to go overkill. I am assuming the 12 is the closed true through axle system i just dont know i need it

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
how is springs and wisp? im from northeastern pa, and sometimes am in state college so wisp and springs arent too bad of a drive from there

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
weight wise, no noticeable penalty unless you jack off to your bike on a scale more than you ride it.

stiffness wise, you'll be much happier.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you're going from a standard QR/bolt on 10mm to a through axle, and you ride DH, there really isn't a reason to stick with the 10. Go 12, the stiffness will pay off.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
definitely go with the 12mm man.

IF you do still want to run the 10mm, you can get 12mm to 10mm step down axles that just fit in your standard 12mm hub.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
definitely go with the 12mm man.

IF you do still want to run the 10mm, you can get 12mm to 10mm step down axles that just fit in your standard 12mm hub.
Do you know anyone who makes them in aluminum? I just could find them in steel.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Ok well I will chime in here as I am upgrading to a 12mm from my current quick release. I did as much research on this as possible prior to making any decisions and I had kind of the same criteria; low weight, added stiffness. I know just going from a QR to a 10mm thru axle made a huge difference in stiffness (I swapped wheels for a weekend) so I figure going to 12mm would be a little better without really sacrificing much in weight. I found a site that sells Hadley parts and they have the weights listed for the thru axles. The 10mm axle was listed @ 56g and the 12mm axle was listed at 74g. Both of these axles are for 135mm spacing and are aluminum axles.

To the OP: you said you were running an I9 wheel. If its the right hub you can change it from QR to 10mm to 12mm. That's what I'm doing to be able to run the same wheel with a 12mm thru axle.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Do you know anyone who makes them in aluminum? I just could find them in steel.
hadley does them if i am not mistaken. but wouldn't be surprised if they are steel too, not much material there, outer limit is 10mm, inner limit is a 9mm quick release shaft.

but then again i know that the axles in hopes qr hubs are alu, so might be possible.

sorry, just thinking out loud here.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
To the OP: you said you were running an I9 wheel. If its the right hub you can change it from QR to 10mm to 12mm. That's what I'm doing to be able to run the same wheel with a 12mm thru axle.
Holy crap are you kidding...oh man i gotta send them a note

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Hey manhattanprjkt83 don't go through I9 for the axle kit. I emailed them and they said it was going to cost $75 to $80 and that didn't included the axle. I was able to find the conversion kit at competitivecyclist for $50. You still have to buy an axle as the I9 kit only changes the hub to allow you to run a 10 or 12mm thru axle. If you need an axle I recommend the Hadley ones and if you want I can let you know of another place online that has those for a decent cost.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
im pretty sure there isnt a human that can ride a bike thru a rock garden and tell a difference between a 12mm and 10mm axle. who cares. go with 10 so you have more wheel options.