Quantcast

Advice needed! 20",24",26"??

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Hey folks!

I'm in need for some help here. I going to build up a bike for trails and a little bit of street riding. The thing is, I'm a DH racer and my question is wheter I should get a 20" bmx, 24" bmx, 24" mtb or an 26" mtb?

I used to race bmx before I started riding DH, so I thought a 20" would do the trick, but I'm not sure now because I'm used to 26" wheels on my DH bike.

I should also mention that I am 6'2" tall

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
If you have enough money, get the 26 inch. Naturally the 20's are going to be cheaper, and so on. So whatever really feels right for you. Or get yourself a frame that can run 24 or 26 inch wheels and switch when you want.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Would it be more natural for me to go 26" since I ride DH? Or could I get away with an 20" since I used to race bmx? Maybe a 24" would make a lot of sense. I have no clue

I have both a 20 and 26 inch djer and ride my 20 way more. it makes the dh bike seem really stable and easy to ride and thus I feel more comfortable going faster on it. If you have ridden 20s before you will feel more comfortable on them. it doesnt take but a few minutes to get back comfortable on the dher

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
20's will give you mad skills:-) Seriously, having control on a little bike will make it so much easier to feel confident on a big bike. I feel like I can do so much more when I get back on a 26". I mostly ride 20", but have always retained a 26", and am in the process of a 24". Who knows, that might be the happy medium, but I think I will always have a thing in my heart for the little bike. And, as for price. you can drop as little or as much as you want on any bike. Just cuz its little doesn't mean it can't be pricey.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Ok that sounds good. I forgot to mention that I have an 4x hardtail(trying to get rid of it) I didn't like it very much though.

I tried out a buddy's 20" race bike for the first time in 4 years last summer and it felt sooo small.

Jul 4, 2007
bay, killafornia
im the same i have a ht that i used to use for everything. street, dj, dh then i got back into bmx and started riding my 20 full time for street and now full time for dj's too. just yesterday after being off the 26 for probably 2 months i jumped on and did some jumping and dh and it felt liked it never been off of it, plus it felt rediculously smooth.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Is there anyone else out there who's been in the same situation?

Since I mostly ride my full suspension DH bike, would it be more natural for me to have a 26" DJ bike?

All this thinking kills me

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I was in the same situation. Only, I didn't really have all that much money. I got a ****ty street bmx and just tooled on that for a while. I lost interest after a while, but the second I started to get new parts for the bmx, it took off. Parts are loads cheaper, so it just felt so much better on the wallet by going to twenty.

If you're just going to DJ, get a 26". That is just going to feel loads more comfortable. I use the kids bike for street and park, but I still feel really sketch riding DJs on it. Not horribly sketch, but I'd much rather be on a 26". I've used some friends' 26" for street riding, and ended up being a little disappointed.

20" if you want to ride mainly street and park and a little bit of DJ on the side. 26" if you want to ride DJs with some park and street on the side.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm mostly a dh guy, but i bought a yeti dj about a year ago. after riding that bike, i'd get on my downhill bike and feel a little more comfortable because everything felt way smoother and the bike was more sure footed. then i got a bmx, and after riding nothing but the bmx for about a week, even though it was only for about 45 minutes a day, i got on my dh bike and everything came together even more. i was more comfortable in every aspect, i suck on the bmx and it still felt better. it's a very weird feeling, but the 20 will certainly give you a little boost on your big bike.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
When you say trails do you mean nice, smooth, hardpack djs? Because if you do get the 20", but if you ride any rough/rooty stuff at least look at 24"s.