Quantcast

Advice on padded Shorts and Shoes

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I'm looking for a pair of padded shorts for DH. Wondered if any of you ladies had any recommendations. I've looked at the 661 and Pro-tec shorts but have no idea if they are any good or what size.

Also can anyone make any recommendations on footwear to use with flat pedals?

Thanks

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Other than a pair of longer bike shorts (I pull them over the top of my knee/shin guards to help keep them in place), I've never worn padded shorts for DH. If the course is really gnarly, I might put the hip pads in my moto pants, but that's about it. In racing DH for 7 or 8 years, I think there's only been a handful of times that I've crashed and wished I had a pair of padded shorts on. Personally, if you haven't purchased a good upper body protecter (Dainese is the best...IMHO), I'd put the money there before shorts. :)

I don't ride in flats, so I can't really help you there but look for something with a stiff sole. I think 661 makes some non-clip cycling shoes...skate shoes are another good option since they tend to have grippy stiff soles.

Congrats on getting into DH! I took a little hiatus recently, but I'm starting to get back into it again. It's a rush for sure! :)

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
VT Mtbkr said:
I'm looking for a pair of padded shorts for DH. Wondered if any of you ladies had any recommendations. I've looked at the 661 and Pro-tec shorts but have no idea if they are any good or what size.

Also can anyone make any recommendations on footwear to use with flat pedals?

Thanks
Dainese makes some good padded shorts, they run pretty small since they are a Euro company, so I'm sure they'd have a size to fit. I have a pair and really like them. They have a hard tail bone protector that is kinda strange till you get use to it.

The 5.10 shoes seem to be pretty popular with the flat set.

www.go-ride.com has both of them is you want to check them out.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Zutroy said:
Dainese makes some good padded shorts, they run pretty small since they are a Euro company, so I'm sure they'd have a size to fit. I have a pair and really like them. They have a hard tail bone protector that is kinda strange till you get use to it.
how bulky are they? i've been thinking of getting a pair of padded shorts for racing and for winter time (in the park). I'm especially looking for something with good hip padding.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have 661 flats that I wear (can't remember the exact style name) and they work out well. Not sure what size you wear, but there are a couple of pairs of 661s on closeout at Jenson (Duallys...they're 3/4 top and would provide some ankle protection).

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
amydalayna said:
how bulky are they? i've been thinking of getting a pair of padded shorts for racing and for winter time (in the park). I'm especially looking for something with good hip padding.

They're not bulky at all. The only thing I really noticed with them at first was the tail bone protector, but after you get use to it, it's no big deal. The bib shorts they make with the attached knee/shin pads are nice too, and don't have the tail bone protector if you don't want to have that.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Zutroy said:
They're not bulky at all. The only thing I really noticed with them at first was the tail bone protector, but after you get use to it, it's no big deal. The bib shorts they make with the attached knee/shin pads are nice too, and don't have the tail bone protector if you don't want to have that.
do you think the tail bone protector would get in the way with the spine protector in a pressure suit? how high is the tail bone protector? (sorry for all the questions).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
do you think the tail bone protector would get in the way with the spine protector in a pressure suit? how high is the tail bone protector? (sorry for all the questions).
If you look at 661's shorts:

It looks no higher than a regular pair of cycling shorts.

There might be some overlap from a pressure suit:

But considering a slightly bent over riding position, it should not interfere..

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
amydalayna said:

It's doesn't with the Dainese jacket on. It's fairly low, you actually are sitting on part of it when you sit down.