Quantcast

advisable to drill out a presta to schraeder?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've got a Rhynolite to XT disk wheelset. When I bought it it came with presta valve holes. But now that I'm getting more into DH, the tubes to fit larger tires are all schreader valve. Is it advisable to drill out the presta hole to enlarge it? What size drill bit should i use? how can I prep the area so that spurs won't tear the valve? Thanks.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
drill away. use a bit that's close to the size of a schraeder valve :) rattail files also work.

just clean it out when you're done.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I've always drilled my rims. I once got a flat in Hazard, KY while using presta valves. Ever try to buy a presta tube a Wal-Mart? You can't. Drilling is good but it takes time. You know find the bit, put it in, plug it up, clean it up, put it away.
With a tapered remer and a file you'll be done in like 2 minutes.

Jihv Mabone

Chimp
Nov 24, 2001
Ft. Collins, CO
If you go out to get a drill bit or reamer, be sure to pick up a deburring tool. They're pretty cheap and will easily remove all the burs left from the drilling. Otherwise you will have lots of fun with flats...but don't get spooked, it's an easy mod.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
HELLTACO's got it! Just curious but did you buy the wheelset from Jenson? Because I got that same wheelset and I drilled mine out no problem, just be sure to use a couple bit sizes smaller than what you think the schraeder valve is. You can always make the hole bigger, but if you drill it to big to begin with it can be a problem.