Quantcast

Aerobic Training is Dead-The Scientific Proof

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
If I were in his shoes, here's how I'd approach it.

I'd find the most attractive female downhiller in my area. Get her to post up some riding pics for about a week or two and get all the little racerbois looking at her hienie.

Then once her username gets known, get HER to start talking about this great training program that her and her man have been using. No affiliation, just a happy customer spreading some knowledge.

Not only would it be more credible because it's not coming from the source, you'd be assured some attention because everyone would be checking her thread for more tanktop pics.
That's just me though:D
That is a really good idea. If I ever need to sell something to ppl on the Monkey I now have a blueprint!! :p

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
An interesting side note from moto, Jlaw wasn't doing as well last year when they had him training like a mad man. This year they are having him work on his skills more (aka: riding more, doing drills, etc). He is currently in the lead in the west points.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
some people take bike riding way too seriously. like many others, I'd rather just ride. my intervals come when i'm sprinting from corner to corner, trying to stay in front of my buddy.
Word. Personally, I don't really care if aerobic training is helpful or not. If I didn't want to spend my time doing aerobic exercise, well, I probably wouldn't ride very much.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Does that include the character with the fake boobies that shot milk like a cannon?? (good show!)

PS, I like his articles, adds another dimension here. Overall, though, people need to ride more and post less.

Really, what's the difference on this article versus some new gearbox thread? It's all about riding one way or another!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
An interesting side note from moto, Jlaw wasn't doing as well last year when they had him training like a mad man. This year they are having him work on his skills more (aka: riding more, doing drills, etc). He is currently in the lead in the west points.
Yes, DH is a skilled based sport too IMO.....no need to train like Bruce Jenner, just need decent overall fitness...

But sometimes with limited time just getting decent fitness requires creativity.....the original post makes some good points on condensing things...

In a perfect world who wouldn't want to ride everyday....errr, twice a day.....

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
I've said my piece and people can either take it or leave it. I've seen this work with my clients, I have pages of testimonials from riders around the world telling me it has worked for them, there are several studies that point to the reasons this works so i really have nothing to more to say.

I would say that unless someone can produce a study comparing aerobic training to interval training showing that aerobic training produced better results compared to interval training then there is really nothing more to talk about. I don't care what the part lines are in the fitness industry, sometimes the part lines are unduly influenced by outside money (like the manufacturers of aerobic equipment and machines).

I can always tell the guys who spend way too much time in the class room or reading journals and not enough time in the trenches working with athletes in the real world with real world constraints. Intervals produce better or the same results in less time...I would say that unless you've tried it then you really can not speak intelligently about it. You can read all day about what other people have done but the only way to really learn is to get your hand dirty in the trenches.

What really cracks me up is that some people think I would use an inferior training method purely for marketing purposes. If aerobic base training worked better I'd use it. I don't have a horse in this race, I just want to help mountain bikers get better and have more fun.

I've tried aerobic base training both with myself and clients. It was way too time consuming and did not seem to give us a good "bang for the buck". Since being exposed to the use of intervals for increasing all aspects of cardio conditioning I've seen better results in less time.

Oh, and just for the record I am currently consulting with the Brodie B Team (Chad Loraine kicked some but in the last Fontana 4X race and Ian Odom credited my program with helping him get a 2nd at the last Fontana race) and last year I was a consultant for the Ssang-Yang Fusion World Cup Team. I may not have any world champions on my roster (yet) but I certainly have worked with several high level pros and have their thanks for helping improve their performance.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
And he has a DUI in murrieta as well as being arrested at Daytona Bike week! Jail training should be good for him too.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What really cracks me up is that some people think I would use an inferior training method purely for marketing purposes. If aerobic base training worked better I'd use it. I don't have a horse in this race, I just want to help mountain bikers get better and have more fun.
I think what caught everyone off guard was the fact that you said aerobic training is dead. And you do have a horse in this race, your pocket book.....you're selling a product.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
And he has a DUI in murrieta as well as being arrested at Daytona Bike week! Jail training should be good for him too.
yeah, I thought about posting that too but decided to pass. Any word on who he got in the fight with? One report was it was Hansen. The other was that it was some big guy that pounded on Jlaw and then took off before the cops rolled in.

Even though he get's into trouble, he is still more exiting to watch or listen to than Dungey. We'll see how well Dungey does after someone decides it's time to give him an initation into the big boy class. Good thing Ryno isn't racing anymore since he would have ate Dungey for breakfast. Preston or Evans would break have of these guys in half that are moving up soon.

Anyway, I equate Jlaw to someone like Palmer.

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Back in the early 90’s I was a weekend-warrior Novice XC racer who’d pay my entry fees for the privilege of getting smoked by the field here in the Vancouver scene. In 1995, through a series of fortuitous events I was introduced to a Professor at Simon Fraser University, Dr. Eric Bannister, who had this radical (at the time) idea about training.

His basic premise was that the athlete who performs his personal best at any given time is the one who can maximize the difference between how fit and how recovered he is, and he measured and predicted the fitness/recovery profile through what he called ‘training impulses’ (TRIMPS) which were basically intervals.

I don’t want to get too into it here but suffice it to say, he recommended I simply ‘give’r’ most of the time, and keep track of my recovery by recording a TRIMP and logging the data. Of course I needed a decent aerobic base to withstand the load, but the rest of my aerobic training was achieved simply by warming up and cooling down.

The advantage of ‘pinning it’ most of the time, according to the good Doctor, was that I’d improve my VO2 Max faster this way (i.e. bang for the buck), and ultimately, I’d be more accustomed to the pain and discomfort of maximal effort. In other words, when the riders around me wilted, I wouldn’t because I was ok with a bit of suffering.

At the end of the day we made a deal. He’d set me up on his program on the condition that he owned my data. With a bit of smart (and hard) work, I moved up the ranks from Novice, to Sport, to Expert within two seasons. Not bad for someone who had a day job, I suppose.

I guess the lesson learned here is not to dismiss what the original poster wrote. From personal experience, I think what he writes has some merits.

There’s a book published 7 years after my introduction to Dr. Bannister called, High-Performance Cycling. It references some the Dr.’s work. It’s interesting how long it takes for science to reach popular culture.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ya, Stephane's current and former client list does not have any World Champions or World Cup champions.
:shocked:
having athletes BECOME elite because of you versus hand picking elite athletes to work with you is a little biased. If I could get a client list like his, pretty sure I'd be famous too. The stuff Chris described to me that he had DH'ers doing...not much applied to DH. Now if you want pain and suffering and higher tolerance levels for the two, he's your man. :D