Quantcast

aftermarket pulleys, are Bullseye Pulleys good to hook?

chrisJohn

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fayetteville, AR
The pulleys on a '01 Xt are getting seriously worn, two chipped teeth on the lower, went and salvaged basically new pulleys from my LBS, but have always wondered how those trick looking alloy pulleys worked. Have heard bad things about the Carmichael type, breaking and being difficult to set up. BikeWorld.com has Bullseye brand pulleys, sealed bearing and the like. Should I stick with my current set up?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

When I had to change out the jockey wheels on my Trek, the sage at the LBS said "...alloy jockey wheels?! You do know thats a un-lubricated, metal-to-metal contact..." And then I bought the really great Zytel ones from Tacx. Come in a rainbow of colors, are dirt cheap, and last a real long time. There's real bearings in there as opposed to a plastic bushing.

The Tacx get my vote (and buck for that matter..)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'll vouch for the Tacx jobbies. Worked like a champ in my XTR 9spd setup. No float in the top pulley either. I've used aluminum ones in the past but not Carmichael or Bullseyes. The ones I used were shiite.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Acadian
I have to agree. I've tried multiple aftermarket pulleys in the past, and none worked the way the Shimano ones did!

Yep, theres proof in the pudding:p If you have to have one of those cool pulleys, just run one on the bottom:thumb:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Did you know that the Shimano XT stuff is warrantied for 2 years ,I love a warranty and Shimano has a good one have your LBS get the RA# and send that bad boy back and if you shop is as good as mine you could even up grade for a small price :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Good Luck