Quantcast

ahhhh my Michelins are crumbling....

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
my Comp16s to be exact. The actual treds still have some life to them but the side knobs are all broken half-way through at the casing, enough that i could pinch them off with my fingers..they litterally seem like the rubber's crumbling. Also they seem to be fragile in general, have put two holes in the casing since, big enough that a tire plug was required (tubless with sealant). Anyone else?

the original one i bought (and that the shop received plenty of) were cracked brand new, and my lbs guy had some inside info that this is sometimes the result of them experimenting with 'new' compounds (or oxidants as it was put). This could explain why they're allegedly comming out with a dual compound tire; hard on the inside, soft on the outside.

i really hate having a 100$ tire prematurely dissintagrate. My Comp32s never behaved like this.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
The 16's are easily the softest, and i've had one or two do this(out of the 8 or so Comp 16's i've used over the last 3yrs). But always from different batches, almost like someone somewhere mistreated them and sat them in the sun, the heat, or they just sat around too long in a back corner.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have never ripped a sidewall on a Michy DH tire in the 5 or so years that I have been using them.
I have ripped a few knobs on a 2.5 comp 16, but by the times this happens the tire is old and worn out anyway.
That sounds strange, especially the rubber "crumbling" part. If that is the case, you should see if they will warranty that.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
i should have been a little more specific, mind didn't start doing this until I have more than a few miles on them already and were starting to show a little wear.

Like Zedro said, only the side knobs were really bad, the center ones were still in great shape.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah, I've got plenty of Comp 16's and they wear, but I've never had a side knon come off prematurely. It almost sounds like dry rot. They didn't come from an online store or anything? Sure they weren't in the back room of some warehouse for a long time before they made it to you?

If not, definitely give the guys a call. They'll be cool about it I'm sure. just keep that internet sarcasm in check..... :sneaky:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
bizutch said:
Yeah, I've got plenty of Comp 16's and they wear, but I've never had a side knon come off prematurely. It almost sounds like dry rot. They didn't come from an online store or anything? Sure they weren't in the back room of some warehouse for a long time before they made it to you?

If not, definitely give the guys a call. They'll be cool about it I'm sure. just keep that internet sarcasm in check..... :sneaky:
naw, hot off the shelves of my LBS...and they've taken notice of the inconsistancies.

I wouldn't say they rotted, but that would be a good visual description. I'm actually surprised no knobs have actually come of considering the damage thats there; like i said, i could rip on off with my fingers.

maybe a Michy will chime in, like when i made a stink about their actual width (they did actually stretch out some).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I haven't use 2.2 Comp 16s enough to experience this. not a big fan of that tire thread, although a trimmed 2.5 Comp 16 works great as a front tire.

I've also been using Michies for the past 4-5 years and this year noticed a difference in widths and even compounds. It's like some of the 2.5 tires were narrower this year and the compound was different than in the past year - but then again might just be me imagining things.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm, my Comp 32 and Comp 24 have lasted a year and are only now starting to look shabby enough to think about replacement...knobs are starting to crack off the sides. I always thought Micchies wore better than any other tire.

MD

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
My Comp 16 2.2" did this as a rear tire. I just noticed it last week. My 2.5" is fine and is actually an older tire. The 2.2" Knobs look really aged from the inside out on the outer knobs. Never saw this on the other Michies I have run.

I replaced it with a 2.3" Hutchinson Octopus as it was the only tire like the 16 the shop had. So far it rides identical to the Comp 16 just the pressure needs to be a bit lower for the same traction.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I have 2 Comp 24.1's and one of them has cracked. Seems like the tread has removed itself from the casing. The other one has held up really well, with no signs of the same type of wear/breakdown. I have no explanation.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
They hooked me up when my Hot-S tires went south too quickly (1.5 months). It just so happens they knew about a problem with sidewalls (on Hot-S), and had since changed the design. The design change was noted in an ad I saw, which prompted the call.

The problem I had was only related to sidewalls. The tread was just fine. I did admit to them the type of riding I do (lots of rocks) is not good for any non-DH tire - they didn't care.

I cut out and sent Michelin logos from sidewalls of all 3 tires, one not even used yet . . . a while later, 3 new tires showed up. They followed-up with calls to tell me they shipped, and later to see if I rec'd the new ones. I still use the new ones up front, with a DH tire in rear.

Give them a call - Good Luck Zedro. Regards

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Speaking of crumpling tires....anyone remember the old Tioga (HS art class big crumbly eraser) XC tires from the early 90's?????

Those were prone to melting on the pavement.....way pre super tacky slow rezzay stuff.

:D

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
RhinofromWA said:
Speaking of crumpling tires....anyone remember the old Tioga (HS art class big crumbly eraser) XC tires from the early 90's?????

Those were prone to melting on the pavement.....way pre super tacky slow rezzay stuff.

:D
The butterscotch colored ones?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ROCKLAND said:
The butterscotch colored ones?
Someone that remembers :) the old crumbly tires. All my buddies loved them in college but I couldn't afford because my tires had to last....closest I got to a soft tire was the Spec Team Control in Grey(umma gumma? or is the the yellow side walls? :think: ). :D :rolleyes:

They always reminded me of art class big block erasers of similiar color....and would just desintergrate with any use. :D

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
RhinofromWA said:
Someone that remembers :) the old crumbly tires. All my buddies loved them in college but I couldn't afford because my tires had to last....closest I got to a soft tire was the Spec Team Control in Grey(umma gumma? or is the the yellow side walls? :think: ). :D :rolleyes:

They always reminded me of art class big block erasers of similiar color....and would just desintergrate with any use. :D
Yeah, looking back those tires really didn't do much other than making your money disapear. O and the white proupines as well. Crap crap.