Quantcast

air shock for 7 inch travel frame

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
have a 7.785 X 2.25 inch coil shock now but wanted to get a highly adjustable, large air volume (i.e. linear) platform air shock as well. Fox DHX Air is shipping next month according to Fox but won't be avail. in the 7.785 size dammit. so now forced to look at other options. Manitou Swinger Air 4 way has piggyback reservoir, mucho adjustability, but only comes in 2.0 inch stroke in that 7.785 size. However swinger air 3 way comes in 7.785 X 2.25 size, AND manitou website sez that there's a twin tube version of the swinger 3 way with larger, more linear air spring which i think will work better on the gemini. But lacks the SPV chamber volume adjustment of the 4 way. Also, maybe it's just superstition, but i ususally associate piggyback reservoir with better performance on long donwhills.

WWYD? Should I be looking at other air shocks? 5th element gravity?

edit to add: the beyondbikes.com site lists the 7.785 X 2.25 3 way air, but manitou's site does not. i'm on hold w/ manitou now.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Thats a hard sizing to get cuz your robbing some extra travel out of it. Bang for the buck, get an old vanilla RC (used to standard size on old bullits) and send er to push. It will feel like more travel than an air shock, and there is seamless platform response.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
kicknitLivE said:
Thats a hard sizing to get cuz your robbing some extra travel out of it. Bang for the buck, get an old vanilla RC (used to standard size on old bullits) and send er to push. It will feel like more travel than an air shock, and there is seamless platform response.
if you have a current Fox, maybe PUSH it and get a Ti Spring? Couldn't be more than $350 total or so, around the cost of an air shock and wouldn't be much heavier... :nopity:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
last i checked, Fox DHX 5 was the lightest body, and weighs around 400 g...plus weight of the coil. i've weighed some ti springs in the past, and found that they only save weight IF you get the exact same stroke. I.e. i've seen 'universal' ti springs designed to go on many coil shocks that were just 40 g lighter than the steel spring on my Romic D. anyway you're looking at 500+ g even w/ Ti depending on which Ti spring you get.

talked to manitou and the swinger 3 way for 2005/2006 does incorporate the larger volume now as 'standard', and still weighs around 250 g, and it does come in the 7.785 X 2.25.

the romic D works fine (crossing my fingers) but my bike gets used in different situations, so i want to have two wheelsets (one more XC/TR oriented, one more DH/FR oriented) and two shocks (coil , and a light air shock) to switch out as needed. Some of my rides involve 3 - 5,000 vert feet of singletrack climbing, so I like to have a lighter shock/tires for those rides. 250 g weight saving in the shock is enough to be noticeable.

if i get the 4 way swinger air 2.0 stroke, i could set it up soft but with big damping ramp-up to prevent bottoming. the 3 way swinger 2.25 would work well for trailriding but might blow thru all the travel on drops.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Get the 3 way. I have a 4-way and have used a 3 on the same bike and both felt good. The 3 might have even felt a little better, but I think that might have been in my head. I'm sure a 5th would be good as well but I can't see it be really that much different than a Manitou.

Getting an air shock will not only save weight, but it'll be better in allowing you to set the bike up a bit stiffer for all-day riding and climbing. That's worth more than the weigh, I think.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
bomberboy1234 said:
I'd go with a long fox air shock. I have seen numerous m-1's in magazines with them and they seem to work fine!
Keep an eye on those magazines and watch for any problems with those shocks. Use a magnifying glass to see if they develop leaks or problems over time...might just want to keep the mag open on your nightstand for frequent inspections.

(Note: I'd LOVE to run a 9.5x3 air shock, mind you...specious logic just irks me...)

MD

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
my next fr bike (i like 7" of travel) will have a air rear shock for sure. they are lighter and just as adjustable (if not more). also many people will try to say they are weaker. that was true for the older one but the new one are just as strong as any coil over shock