Quantcast

Air shock on a Stinky

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I'm getting a new shock for my 2008 Stinky. I'm debating getting an air shock. Does anyone know how it will perform in comparison to a coil?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you will get the correct chamber volume shock (because some frames work like crap with higher volume shocks like dhx air with the bigger chamber) it should be good on jumps but imho it's better to invest your cash in a better coil shock (I ride a mojo tuned dhx air now and I think it could be better) because the tracking and overall characteristic of the airs is kidna different.

Though I have not tried rocco air and ppl say it is very good for an air shock also bos was planning one so if you got some but putting it into a stinky would be kinda silly ;)

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
If you will get the correct chamber volume shock (because some frames work like crap with higher volume shocks like dhx air with the bigger chamber) it should be good on jumps but imho it's better to invest your cash in a better coil shock (I ride a mojo tuned dhx air now and I think it could be better) because the tracking and overall characteristic of the airs is kidna different.

Though I have not tried rocco air and ppl say it is very good for an air shock also bos was planning one so if you got some but putting it into a stinky would be kinda silly ;)
I know. Haha. I'll probably just buy a DHX.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Imho the DHX air is the worst choice from the air shocks available on the market. Slumps to deep into it's travell.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I would stay away from the dhx air as well.. I had one, and got rid of it because it always rode too low in the travel. My dhx 5 coil was way better.
If you go with a coil shock and a Ti spring, the weight difference isn't that much, and you'll have a shock that feels great on that bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Roco R piece of ****. Which is why I want a new one.
Ask push if they do the R with their tune because if yes you may get more than you'd if you got some new. If not I'd go with what's hot for the new season so Elka.(it's cheaper around here than Fox so it's not that hard to decide)