Quantcast

Airborne Bikes is releasing a new 29er

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
Here's a spy shot of the prototype

It's looking like the bike spec will be SRAM X7 2x10 group with Avid Elixir brakes, Reba RL fork and Small Block 8 tires....that's all I know for now!

Oh, also looking like $1200 retail.

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
MMcG: I'm still waiting to hear all the details and to hopefully have one to test out!

boostindoubles: Only thing similar is the name. I guess someone bought the rights to the name and is re-releasing it as a new company.

Toddre

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Good Ole CT
Hey guys, I thought I'd post my 2 cents here since I'm a lucky recipient of one of the proto's floating around.
Couple of things to note
- This is pretty much the same Airborne as the 90's/Ti Airborne, but they are going with a different philosophy this time around. Their marketing strategy for right now is aimed at the budget minded enthusiast.
- Bikes are aluminum, not Ti. Again, this is due to the target consumer/cost considerations. I know alot of people are disappointed that it's aluminum due to it's "harshness" (I was skeptical) but I have to say the guys did a bang up job in tube design and this is a nice riding frame. Remember, not all aluminum is created equal...

@Bikefan84... I have to agree with you on some of the bikes that are available now. At the time, they decided to buy some older designs and re-tweak them. Some misses BUT a couple hit it really big. Wait to see what's coming... you'll be surprised.

Here's a pic of my bike... Not a very stock set up due to the fact it's a prototype, but you get the idea..

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
boostindoubles said:
Is this the same company that was making the Ti bmx bikes a decade or so ago?
No, but related.

The original Airborne was bought by Huffy early on, though it was still run by the founder. A few years later the founder bought the company back, but Huffy retained the trademark of the Airborne name. After the license expired, the company name was changed (Flyte) and died shortly after.

The new Airborne is owned by Huffy and based at their offices in Ohio.
Google their address (6551 Centerville Business Parkway Centerville, OH 45459 obtained from the Airborne web site) and see.

Last edited: