Quantcast

Airlines and Baggage Fees.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
Has anyone had any luck getting around some of these high fees from the airlines to take your bike along. The new fees from Delta are killing me and they were put into effect after the ticket was purchased. Maybe bribing a skycap? Any help would be great...

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
my friend and i used to brake the bikes down as far as possible and put them in golf equipment boxes! we would tell the baggage people that we had two sets of clubs in each box! it worked for us but thats been about 5 years ago,when we rode nationals! we would also call the lbs at each event,and send the bikes about 3 days early via DHL.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Two ways around it:

1. Bribe the sky cap. This is a 50/50 proposition, but with some friendly words and a $40-$50 tip, your odds are at least decent.

2. Split up your bike into 2 heavy duty cardboard boxes. Get one that just barely fits both wheels and one that barely fits the frame. Coat the outside of both boxes with black duct tape for durability (silver duct tape seems to freak out security - thanks to Stik for this tip), then stuff as much heavy-but-small other gear that you're traveling with in those boxes to get them close to but not over 50 lbs. If you need more luggage, get a "roller board" style carry on and a back pack - you can carry both those on for free. Because the airlines are now charging for a 2nd checked bag, you may get hit with that small fee (usually $25, unless you're premiere level with them), but you won't get hit with a bike fee (~$75 on most airlines) and/or overweight (~$50). This way, you're only out $25.

I've been doing method #2 this season, and have made it through 3 trips and not been charged a penny (I'm premiere with Star Alliance, so I can check 2 bags free). It sucks to not be able to use my sweet Dakine bike bag, but I'm routinely saving $270 per round trip ($85 bike charge + $50 overweight charge each way), so it's worth it. One word of caution on method #2 - the airlines do have size restrictions, so be careful not to make your wheel or frame boxes too big. As long as they're reasonably small, it's pretty rare that an ticket agent will bust out a tape measure.

Happy travels,

--John P.

Last edited:

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Two ways around it:

1. Bribe the sky cap. This is a 50/50 proposition, but with some friendly words and a $40-$50 tip, your odds are at least decent.

2. Split up your bike into 2 heavy duty cardboard boxes. Get one that just barely fits both wheels and one that barely fits the frame. Coat the outside of both boxes with black duct tape for durability (silver duct tape seems to freak out security - thanks to Stik for this tip), then stuff as much heavy-but-small other gear that you're traveling with in those boxes to get them close to but not over 50 lbs. If you need more luggage, get a "roller board" style carry on and a back pack - you can carry both those on for free. Because the airlines are now charging for a 2nd checked bag, you may get hit with that small fee (usually $25, unless you're premiere level with them), but you won't get hit with a bike fee (~$75 on most airlines) and/or overweight (~$50). This way, you're only out $25.

I've been doing method #2 this season, and have made it through 3 trips and not been charged a penny (I'm premiere with Star Alliance, so I can check 2 bags free). It sucks to not be able to use my sweet Dakine bike bag, but I'm routinely saving $270 per round trip ($85 bike charge + $50 overweight charge each way), so it's worth it. One word of caution on method #2 - the airlines do have size restrictions, so be careful not to make your wheel or frame boxes too big. As long as they're reasonably small, it's pretty rare that an ticket agent will bust out a tape measure.

Happy travels,

--John P.
Well the goal here is to still check another bag. We leave on thursday, so completely reorganizing the packing situation is going to be a little difficult.

Mike Fitz

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
Charlotte Nc
Like John p said they are charging for the extra bag but starting soon Usairway's ( I work for them) will be charging for every bag.. $15 plus more if it is over weight.
I take minefor free .. one of the perks I guess. I have take mine apart and put it in a large suit case before.
Good luck.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Well the goal here is to still check another bag. We leave on thursday, so completely reorganizing the packing situation is going to be a little difficult.
You're in a tricky situation then. I'd expect to pay at least $100 R/T in tips to the skycap, and even then, you may get hit with bike fees.

FWIW, you can stuff a pretty huge amount of stuff in wheel and frame boxes (method #2 above). It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but much less so than paying $250+ roundtrip.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Fly on an airline that sucks less then. Air Canada (flies into Vancouver or Toronto and then Vancouver from pretty much every major US City) charges $50 each way for a bike. $56.01 with tax.

That, and they seem to be ignoring the charges half the damn time anyways, maybe you will get extra lucky?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A lot of airlines are going to start charging for any checked bags. It might be easier to sneak in bike at that point.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Cathay Pacific... Sporting goods are free and can be over 70 lbs. Our round trip direct flight from NYC to Vancouver this summer is around 400 and was even cheaper last year. The people who work for them are nice as hell and they were voted some of the best airline food on some poll I read. Wine was free on the flight too. They tried to give us crap about the bikes coming back from VAN but it was still free... just had to be under 70 lbs on the way back and they didn't charge for the extra box needed to get everything under 70 lbs. Leg room was a bit tight but oh well.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
this topic is as old as the hills. search here and mtbr for tips and experiences (i've posted 'em up a bunch of times).

pick your airline and do the math on weight and inches. that is the best bet. i've had good luck with alaska being cheap and flexy on charging.

i'm a fan of the carboard box - simple and can be kept under the "overweight" limits, particularly if you breakdown the bike far enough and put a few parts in your other luggage (seats and pedals are easy). few options will get you below the size limits for linear inches on most airlines (a wheel alone is 52 linear inches just counting the height and width, ignoring the depth, and many airlines define "oversized" as more than 60 linear inches). it does suck that trico and dakine boxes are so big and heavy. crateworks does make a decent looking product that many have been happy with.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Fly on an airline that sucks less then. Air Canada (flies into Vancouver or Toronto and then Vancouver from pretty much every major US City) charges $50 each way for a bike. $56.01 with tax.

That, and they seem to be ignoring the charges half the damn time anyways, maybe you will get extra lucky?
AC doesn't suck that much less - out of Vancouver last year, they got me for the bike ($50) and the overweight fee ($100) for the Dakine bag.

FYI,

-JP

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
AC doesn't suck that much less - out of Vancouver last year, they got me for the bike ($50) and the overweight fee ($100) for the Dakine bag.

FYI,

-JP
It sucks when you can't use your nice bike bag anymore. I have a Bike Pro double Downhill case. The prbolen is that the case is 39 pounds before you put anything in it. It was awesome back before 2004 when we could put 2 bikes in it for the $70 fee or for free with UAL. Heck, I think my bag was 150+ pounds for the trip to Big Bear in 2003. 2 DH bikes, spare wheels, at least 10 spare tires all jammed in there.

Now, I am back to using a cardboard box. I had a Dakine bag offered to me last week to use when I go to Whistler this fall. I declined since it would push me over the 70 pound limit on NWA if I put anything besides the bike in there.

So John, if you have any of your clients that want an insane deal on a Bike Pro case, let me know. It would still work great for 2 road bikes.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
I've never had anything weighed out of van, especially a bike. Ther isn't even any scales???
That was where Cathay Pacific tried to screw us. Out of NY they were cool and the same airline with the same policy wouldn't allow us to come back with the same cases even though their site stated bikes could be over 70lbs. They said something about the baggage handlers wouldn't load it and it was unsafe blah blah blah.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've never had anything weighed out of van, especially a bike. Ther isn't even any scales???
There are scales - they're just behind the ticket counter. The ticket agent walked me back to the scale and made me weigh it . . . then charged me both the bike fee and the overweight fee. Sucked.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
That was where Cathay Pacific tried to screw us. Out of NY they were cool and the same airline with the same policy wouldn't allow us to come back with the same cases even though their site stated bikes could be over 70lbs. They said something about the baggage handlers wouldn't load it and it was unsafe blah blah blah.
oh my god I miss flying Cathay...
Yeah, you really can't bag on Cathay Pacific overall. Maybe one of the best carriers out there...especially if you ever have to fly direct from JFK to HKG! I haven't had issues w/ bikes on Cathay, maybe that's b/c I flash the frequent flier card and play nice to them.

FWIW, I get wacked outbound from JFK & LGA more often that on the return. Virgin nicely sent my bike thru for n/c out of SFO returning from Otter. JetBlue has been nice about it too in ONT, LGB, & SEA. United are almost always hard to deal with.

I haven't flown w/ a bike with the baggage hikes of the past weeks but, my advice is: 1) Call ahead and tell them you have a bike. Suck it up OR be prepared to pay at the airport. 2) Bring less crap! - don't bring tools you won't need, tires you won't use, or heavy spare parts. 3) Wash clothes at the event vs bringing a change for each day so you have less stuff. 4) Do a shakedown before you pack...tune up your bike before you go, layout all your stuff, then strategically pack only the necessities. 5) Fly out of smaller/regional airports, fly at times with less traffic, or use lesser known airlines. Workers are far more willing to let it slide if there is no one around.

Other tips: Get to the airport early and be nice. Register and use frequent flier programs. Know the carrier's policies before you roll to the airport. If you talk to anyone get their name and transaction record number so it doesn't sound like you're talking out of your arse. Don't be a dick and it will always go smoother.

-ska todd

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I miss when USA Cycling still gave you a free voucher to take your bike with your membership...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Flying in general these days seems to be a total rape-fest. I'd shudder to think of the hassles of flying with a bike.:disgust:

The DH

Monkey
Jun 17, 2008
richest state in the nation
I took my USB" to Alaska with me a few weeks ago and it was packed in a cut down bike box with logos and all, they only charged me the extra bag fee $25 each way. I flew Delta and nobody even asked what was in it just if it was firearms, explosive, flammable, etc.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
That's what so messed about the whole system sometimes you pay $25 and sometimes they bend you over for $300............

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I got my complete Sunday, a pump, some tools, and most of my gear in this maxxis tire box. just took the swingarm of and put in under the down tube. no one even asked me what it was and i didn't pay a dime.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
just got back from whistler and used a ogio monster bag and a wheel bag. paid $75 on the way out. On the way back The girl in Vancouver didn't charge me right. Only paid $25!!!!! for both bags!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Flew with a DH bike, etra tires, parts and tools in a Trico. As predicted, I paid $56.01 each way. It easily weighed over 100lbs. I love Air Canada.

Of course, they lost my Ogio bag, again, on the way home.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
GL thats impressive that you have a full bike in the box.
Good work on your part sir....:)

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
On my last trip to California I was able to fit a Demo8 and SX trail into 3 large suitcases. Otherwise, would have been some extra $400-500 from Lufthansa. Of course, traveling with a wife and kid helps so the allowance is 6 bags total. :monkeydance:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
speaking of great airlines, Lufthansa is up there towards the top of my list.

I havn't gotten more clever than to put two bikes in one bag, and wheels for both in another box. Was on southwest so it was $100 round trip for two bikes, and all our gear and other misc. stuff. Not bad.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Dont go with british airways they charge like the light bridge....
£200 one way from lisbon 2 years ago.
Robbin bastards

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
southwest airlines from burbank to seattle = $50 each way.

that maxxis box move is sweet. i've been wondering about how hard that would be to do. glad to see it done.