Quantcast

Airtime app for the iphone/ipod touch

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
So this is really cool . . .

About a month ago, I discovered an application on itunes that measures your hang time using the accelerometer. It's called 'Airtime'.

You just open the app, slip your ipod/iphone into your pocket, ride the line, then check your times. It plots all of the jumps and lets you know your record time for that run.

My friends and I got into a little competition to see who could boost the most, maximizing their hang time. Cob rocketed to a 1.25 second best in his backyard, while I was able to grab a 1.15 at the Clairemont jumps.

Fun stuff! Check it out, plot your trails and post a screenshot of your best time. (Hold down the menu button, then tap the power button to save a screenshot to your photo gallery.)

Here is the developer's link:
http://iphone.bannach.ch/apps/AirTime.html

Download it here:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303491209&mt=8

Cob's house:

Clairemont:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Holy sh!t... that sounds like the coolest thing ever. I always wonder about stuff like that. Like whether we get more hang time on our steep jumps or our long jumps. Maybe now I can find out. :monkeydance:

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Haha. That thing is rad. I'm now throwing my iphone around my apartment. 1.21 is the best I have got indoors. Hopefully I'll be able to try it on the jumps tomorrow.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yo! This is the coolest thing I have ever owned. So, we tried it on the jumps today. My best air was 1.35. My best total airtime through the line was 8.6. We had a couple fluke readings that showed in the 1.6s... but, I don't think that was right considering we didn't get any in the 1.4s or 1.5s. We were consistently getting around 1.3. I forgot to do the screen shot, I'll do it next time.

I'm totally going to use this as a barometer for every spot I go to... "Man, your jumps suck... I'm only getting .9 seconds of airtime!" Haha.

Nov 20, 2008
so am i the only one who thinks it might be a bad idea to ride with a 400 dollar phone in your pocket?

like what happens when you fall on it and it breaks, im pretty sure thats not covered on the warranty.

cool idea tho, just seems a little risky

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I wonder how accurate it is... it seems like it might not know the difference between your going up the surface of a jump and your actual upward trajectory once you're airborne. What if it's only measuring "freefall"?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I wonder how accurate it is... it seems like it might not know the difference between your going up the surface of a jump and your actual upward trajectory once you're airborne. What if it's only measuring "freefall"?
Yeah, I was wondering about that. It seems like the actual take off would be the hardest to "sense." My friend Tim actually timed an air with the stop watch on his phone and then we compared. The stop watch had a time that was a few hundredths of a second longer. But, except for a few fluke readings, it seemed to be a pretty accurate way to compare air on different jumps... even it isn't exactly the actual amount of air time.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Yeah, I was wondering about that. It seems like the actual take off would be the hardest to "sense." My friend Tim actually timed an air with the stop watch on his phone and then we compared. The stop watch had a time that was a few hundredths of a second longer. But, except for a few fluke readings, it seemed to be a pretty accurate way to compare air on different jumps... even it isn't exactly the actual amount of air time.
Yeah, the comparison thing still works just the same. I saw the comment about, "You have 1.35 seconds to throw a flip whip. Go." And I started wondering if that actually is the amount of time that it takes to do that.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
so am i the only one who thinks it might be a bad idea to ride with a 400 dollar phone in your pocket?
I don't know about everyone else, but I, unfortunately, spend about 1/2 my riding time at the trails by myself. I don't care if my phone is 4,000 dollars, I need it in my pocket to cover the 'what if' scenarios when by myself. That being said, I've ridden with an iphone in my pocket for about three years and between myself and my toddlers, the trails have not significantly contributed to the demise of two iphones and the collection of cracks in the glass of my current one.

Although, I'll give you that I have frequently thought about it happening while riding (crashing).

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
oh, and on-topic. I used the same or similar app for snowboarding. It worked real well and was fun to check and compare stats and I always thought about trying it at the trails, but just never got around to it. Will do so now though.