Quantcast

Alabama Mountain Games

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
My friends and i started a whitewater kayaking festival that has grown into a X-games/Music Festival & brings crowds of around 3,000+ people. This year i have been asked to add mountain biking to this event. My friends and i have made a XC race course, and are in the process of building a few freeride obstacles. The freeride obstacles will be ladder drops from 5 to 18 feet in height, and possibly a large wooden kicker into the river (bring a lake jump bike). We are giving away large cash prizes for the XC race, and Team XC race. The freeride event will mainly be a crowd pleaser as hardly anyone from this area has ever seen a freeride stunt performed. I'm inviting all riders from the SE and beyond to come join in on the fun, camping, beer, partying, raffles, riding, and prizes this year. On top of kayaking and MTB'ing, we'll have a wakeboard competition, and rock climbing competition. Compete in all four events for the ironman trophy. Location is on the Locust Fork River in North Central Alabama. The festival will be held on March 18th - 21st, entry fee will be $25 for MTB competitors, and the payoff will be much more ! The wakeboarders will have a winch system, two above ground pools next to the river, and rails connecting all bodies of water...should be interesting.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Sorry, by the title I thought this would be something else...

Bur seriously, this sounds very cool. Shame I'm not out that way any more.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
There's a kid here in Asheville who is sick nasty at freeride/tech. His name is Ben, but I haven't seen him since a random appearance at one of the Beech races. He's always up for that sort of stuff.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
There's a kid here in Asheville who is sick nasty at freeride/tech. His name is Ben, but I haven't seen him since a random appearance at one of the Beech races. He's always up for that sort of stuff.
He's still around...going to unca I believe.

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
pre register? for all 4 games?
Troy, we won't start registration untill the week of the festival, its gonna be $25 to race the XC races, with 3 to 4 times that amount as a payoff! I'm not sure the cost to enter all 4 events yet. It is free to do the drops if you hve the skills, balls, and proper bike :D

Last edited:

KFC

Chimp
Jan 3, 2010
Charlotte, NC
This sounds sick. Is it part or NAW Fest? I'm supposed to work that weekend but may have to put in for time off. My wife has a farm in Guntersville. As far as I know its not too far from the Locust Fork.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
found out if he wants to build my truck gap. or suplly the decking? i may can do the rest. also,, is the kayaking is some kinda techy stuff? i dont wanna die. canoe race maybe? hehe

Last edited:

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
found out if he wants to build my truck gap. or suplly the decking? i may can do the rest. also,, is the kayaking is some kinda techy stuff? i dont wanna die. canoe race maybe? hehe
Ya, the kayak festival will be a waterfall & Play hole rodeo.....plus you'll have to compete against Eric Jackson & crew, lol. And yes this event was formally known as Nawfest....as far as dual slalom goes, we did'nt have the time to build a course but maybee next year.

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
I have pics on my pinkbike page of the drops already, i'll be out there today to get more & post a link to them. But basiclly its a XC / AM course about 4 miles long & two ladder drops seperate from the course in the spectator area. We'll prob wind up putting a good size dirt jump landing on the same tranny in there too. So a XC type race with jumps, wall ride, small creek gap and then a seperate freeride huckfest just as a crowd pleaser. We're also trying to throw up a trials course before the festival starts

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
Here's our wallride...we're gonna paint it and throw some grippy stuff on it before the festival. And keep in mind that this is on the XC trail system\

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Here's our wallride...we're gonna paint it and throw some grippy stuff on it before the festival. And keep in mind that this is on the XC trail system\
Looks nice and 29er proof- so it appears to be an All-Mountain bike kinda course?

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Rob- are you guys doing a short course for the XC? could help put a couple of senders with go arounds on the descents without having to build trannys...

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Rob- are you guys doing a short course for the XC? could help put a couple of senders with go arounds on the descents without having to build trannys...
there are a few trannys (several big black ones) that live near me - might could pay them to lay down for landers during the race. Fun for the
spectators.

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
Ya, its a relatively short XC course @ about 4-5 miles, but we'll prob make pro class do two or three laps. And all of the wooden stuff is optional with plenty of room to go around on 29ers or hardtails....we've had some young kids and beginners riding it too, so i tried to mke it fun for everybody..though being able to hit the wooden stuff will give you a faster time! Plus this is a festival...we're not trying to compete with anyone, just start something fun and give away money and prizes while doing it. So bring your lake jump bike, XC bike, and DH bike and ride around double fisting beers watching the band & camping :thumb:

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
On top of whitewater kayaking, rock climbing, lake jumping, wakeboarding, and MTB'ing we'll also have fun inflatables, jousting, bike & kayak movies on the big screen theater, live bands, raffles, and camping ! The wakeboarders are building some sick stuff too, i'll post pics of the bloody carnage for those who can't make it this year

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
Troy..theres only about 2 feet of difference in the drops, the taller one just looks 10x's bigger, but if people start clearing the wood landing, i'll come back ad chop it down some. Heres some pics of the new River Kicker & the Wakeboard Rail-jam. We're also gonna make a freeirde drop out of roperacers truck :thumb:

Last edited:

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
I've got alot up my sleeve for next year too. Anyone is welcome to help me build crazy freeride stuff on this site, the landowners are down for anything i can imagine :D