Quantcast

Alaska in May/June?

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I'm planning a trip to Alaska in May/June. Going to do a cruise with my Dad(bucket list item for him). My Dad wants to extend the trip and take the train to denali. I'm not sure he can handle it because I've only ever heard of people hiking in Denali.

Anyone have any suggestions. Best time to go. We want to see wildlife so we want to make sure the animals are not still hibernating and are active.

Thanks

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am nowhere near an expert on this, but I visited Alaska a few years ago. We went in August, but I bet if you go any time from end of May through June you'd be okay. I am guessing that later is better, or at least warmer.

I did not take a train to Denali, but did drive there and hike/backpack. I don't know what the train is like, but from what I remember there isn't a whole lot up there if you're not hiking and camping. There's not even many trails; bushwacking is a common way to get along. Traffic/roads are restriced in the park, so even if you do have a car, you can't get that far. There is a bus system that is nice, but not easy on travellers- school buses on dirt roads made for a rather bumpy, slow and sometimes cold ride. That said, Denali was pretty nice to visit. Great scenery, tons of bears and other wildlife to see. So I'd do some more research if your dad wants to go up there, but I'd have some reservations about it.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I did not take a train to Denali, but did drive there and hike/backpack. I don't know what the train is like,
The train looks pretty cool actually:

but from what I remember there isn't a whole lot up there if you're not hiking and camping. ............So I'd do some more research if your dad wants to go up there, but I'd have some reservations about it.
This basically echos my concern.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm planning a trip to Alaska in May/June. Going to do a cruise with my Dad(bucket list item for him). My Dad wants to extend the trip and take the train to denali. I'm not sure he can handle it because I've only ever heard of people hiking in Denali.

Anyone have any suggestions. Best time to go. We want to see wildlife so we want to make sure the animals are not still hibernating and are active.

Thanks
Don't skip Denali!

You can take a 3hr (approx. each way) bus trip into the center of the park and wonder lake. This is a great way to see an incredible amount of scenery and wildlife without hiking (the buss drivers stop to check out bear, moose, fox, etc.). Polycrome Pass is spectacular and unforgettable!

By far the most epic bus ride eva!

Hiking in the Denali is no joke there is no established/maintained trail system in the park. So unless you are ready to be hardcore stay near the bus stops.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Thanks
I went some years ago with the family and we decided to go in August since it is the warmest time of the year. We ended up renting an RV and when I go back there later in my life, I don't think I would do it any other way.

We made reservations and camped/hiked in Denali which was really cool. Also, Valdez was an incredible area as well.

If it is within your budget I would highly recommend renting an RV.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Kenai Penninsula, Valdez etc are great.
If you want to explore I'd rent a vehicle.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I went some years ago with the family and we decided to go in August since it is the warmest time of the year. We ended up renting an RV and when I go back there later in my life, I don't think I would do it any other way.

We made reservations and camped/hiked in Denali which was really cool. Also, Valdez was an incredible area as well.

If it is within your budget I would highly recommend renting an RV.
I went with my immediate family and another family and did the same thing. We had 11 people total and had a van and an RV for a variety of reasons. I slept in the van most nights. But having the RV was really nice, especially given that it gets cold and rains a lot. I love camping, but I can only enjoy that for so long.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't forget your sunglasses. Maybe a blindfold too.

4 June 2010 Alaska Daylight Time

SUN
Sunset 12:14 a.m.
Sunrise 3:24 a.m.
Sun transit 1:49 p.m.
Sunset 12:17 a.m. on following day

Jakeowens

Chimp
Feb 8, 2007
The later you can go the better. May can be a little bit chilly. As far as weather, july/august is usually ideal, but june last year was awesome. The whole summer was sunny and warm in fact.

I've actually never been to denali national park despite growing up in Alaska, but I hear a lot of good things. I've got family that did the bus ride and said it was really awesome. Kenai peninsula is really nice, depends on how late summer got started. It's awesome when there's a lot of foliage growing, just not as pretty in early may when everything is still dead. if you end up going to Homer and want to go halibut fishing let me know, I can recommend some good captains.

Should see plenty of animals if you go to denali in early june.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The train looks pretty cool actually
My roommate and her family made the trip up to Denali a few summers ago. They spent about a week in Denali and then took the train back to civilization (I think). Her parents splurged and upgraded to the higher class on the train, and according to the roommate, it was worth every single penny.

smoke brakes

Monkey
May 18, 2007
one step closer to the lord
u can fly up Denali,
sugar bowl is amazing to see , it a small copter chop up , very worth while , micro climate on a glacier - only dog sled summer rides in all of alaska as well - cool to see em run even if u dont ride
deet insect repellent is a must - and if ya dont know this crap eats everything - watches , sunnies , car paint , its a proper thinner

i go up every july to wrestle polar bears for cash - took 3rd over all last year - scary as hell , year before bear broke my left femur clean in half , but hey 10gs is 10 gs

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Good job performing your filial duty, sounds like a killer trip. I much more enjoy time spent with my old man nowadays as I can tell him to stfu if he's giving me the sh*ts without getting knocked out.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
u can fly up Denali,
sugar bowl is amazing to see , it a small copter chop up , very worth while , micro climate on a glacier - only dog sled summer rides in all of alaska as well - cool to see em run even if u dont ride
deet insect repellent is a must - and if ya dont know this crap eats everything - watches , sunnies , car paint , its a proper thinner

i go up every july to wrestle polar bears for cash - took 3rd over all last year - scary as hell , year before bear broke my left femur clean in half , but hey 10gs is 10 gs
no. wait. really? pics or it didn't happen! you may be my new intarwebs hero.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I went on a cruise around alaska in August a few years back. It was great up there. I'd love to go back and actually spend more time checking out the mountains.