Quantcast

All day shoot with Mark and Mike

slang

Monkey
Apr 20, 2005
Went photo shooting today with Mark Matthews at his dirtjumps. It was my first time shooting RAW and... well... Never going back to JPEG ever again.

I'm posting a whole bunch so it'd be easier to give comments on my work (as opposed to showing my 3 best photos etc.) I know there are repeats and I know alot of them arent that great, but it's why I'm putting them up... What would you like to see to make them better?

Photos © David Lang

Mike Bentham. We didnt have much time to shoot so apologies for all the silhouettes.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
My favorites are 4,7 and 10, All were great shots but those ones stood out. I like how you used a flash to brighten the riders facea dn the colors were very cool as well. What kind of camera are you using?

I thouhght 11 was great too, but maybe a little heavy on the flash?

Dan

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I don't think I have EVER seen such increadibly clear digital pictures in my life. It seems like I am actually there, watching the action happen. Absolutely amazing. The camera you were using actually took pictures in .raw format or what?

slang

Monkey
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for the comments guy. Yeah RAW is ABSOLUTELY amazing compared to JPEG.

For those wondering, I'm using a Nikon D70, SB800 flash, and the kit 18-70 lens most of the time (which is starting to bother me because it's bloody autofocus keeps failing. plastic.... pfft...)

I post processed them all in picasa 2 (which only allows minor control over stuff) as I dont have photoshop cs. PS 7, which is what I have, wont recognise raw files :(

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Those are some high-quality photos. I love the really earthy green and brown tones of the color photos from the dirt jumps.

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
those are some really, really good pics.
number 4 is prob my fave, but they are all such good quality shots.

nice one

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
From what I understand about shooting RAW, it basically captures the moment as it is and then once you get to your computer you can tweak the exposure etc to suit your preference with the benefit of being able to see the results on your big monitor as opposed to the tiny LCD on the camera. If I understand it correctly I don't see why you would EVER shoot any other way.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good shooting. i like #4 and the 3rd from last, as it's easy to pick out the subject from the background in them because of the lighting or composition.