Quantcast

All Mountain bike choices

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
I was pretty stuck on the new Commencal meta 5's, but with how hard they're to get I am thinking of others. If you were to choose one of these which would you choose, Yeti As-x, Yeti 5.75, Morewood Shova st, Specialized sx trail, Santa Cruz Nomad, Intense Uzzi vpx, or the Commencal meta 5? Money is kind of an issue so what ever would be the best for the buck would be. Thanks

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I just finished writing a review on the SX trail for Dropmachine thats going up today. In a nutshell, its more DH then trail all around, but does the job.

I have a giant Reign X1 in, and thats pretty impressive. Seems to do everything well, so far. We'll see how the test riders beat on it. :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There are several nice, brand new/redesigns for 2008 MY, all mountain bikes which may be good options for a smaller budget. You'll probably see a few others as Interbike approaches, but check these out:

Giant Reign, GT idrive, Trek EX (available now), and Specialized Pitch

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
I was pretty stuck on the new Commencal meta 5's, but with how hard they're to get I am thinking of others. If you were to choose one of these which would you choose, Yeti As-x, Yeti 5.75, Morewood Shova st, Specialized sx trail, Santa Cruz Nomad, Intense Uzzi vpx, or the Commencal meta 5? Money is kind of an issue so what ever would be the best for the buck would be. Thanks
we have stock of commencal meta 5's in Canada, what do you want?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
A chrome NEXT with the rotor bars on backwards! :thumb:
All the little ghetto kidies will be jealous and you will hold the BLING! BLING!

Id try and pedal a couple around and then make a decision, its real easy to buy a bike that seems to fit via internet recomendations and have it be really wrong with all the different designs/height/suspension path and travel as well as build.
Everyone is so different in what tehy like! Good luck and look forward to your choice as well as picks when done.

BTW: I got lucky when I got a Canfield it came recomended and its a perfect fit but there was also others that where recomended that I could honestly say I have since ridden and love the Canfield F1 so much better. It worked out for me but could have left some "I should have bought that one" feelings.
Good luck!

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
Wow, those are a lot of good choices. The Transition looks pretty sweet and it's a good price(thanks for the recommendation) How are the revolution wheels transition offers? If I were to build one up I was thinking about using Atom Lab pimplites, but the revolutions look good too, but "look" is my key word for the momment. I can't get my hands on either set of wheels.

Keep em coming, I really appreciate all the ideas:)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
MKIII, Enduro SL/Enduro, Pitch, Stumpjumper FSR, Reign, Trance, Coilair, Heckler for true "all-mountain" riding.

Sounds like you want a more all-around, mini-DH bike if you want to run Revolutions though. Look at maybe an SX Trail, Reign X, Commencal Mini DH, etc.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I sold my DH bike this past year and thought I'd try a VPX. I picked one up used for a decent price and I can't believe how much I love this bike. DH wheels and tires along with a 7 inch fork and it ripped Mt Ste Anne. Swap to a light wheelset, trail tires and a 6 inch fork and I can trailride it all day. I run it with a front deraileur and a granny gear and haven't found anything I can't climb here in the Northeast. With a shorter fork it has a more trail sort of head angle anyway.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
How about a turner rfx? Pretty tight little bike and you can find an 06 used in good condition for pretty cheap!
Right now I am in the process of converting my rfx to a more slack, lower BB trail slaying machine :)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
AS-X is too heavy for all mountain in my opinion, I've got mine built around 37-38lbs and its just too much for long climbs.

I knew a guy who rode a turner 5 spot just about everywhere, I have a suspicion that it was more rider than bike, but he was fast.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
not sure if there available yet, but the Sunn Kern LT gets my vote. Saw a few at the mega avalanche last week and i know what ill be ordering as soon as i get back into work next week. Its sweet 160mm travell same design as the new Radical. Lyric 2 steps up front and it weighs about 28lbs.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
look at the transition covert instead of the preston fr, lighter and more travel and still strong, transitions tend to be overbuilt anyways.

I have a yeti 575 that I like alot, rips single track nicely, 2.5yrs old and no problems, except drive train is worn out.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I would go for a Nomad if your looking AM. It is a true all mountain frame. I have even seen people with DH forks on them if your feeling like light DH. very versatile bike Frame. I havent had any problem with the pivots yet, but the derailleur hanger is a little weak.

oz

Chimp
Nov 11, 2003
I just finished building up a Shova ST and absolutely love it. Was at Northstar in Tahoe this week to break it in and it held its own on some fairly technical and extremely rocky trails. Feels really plush and with propedal on it pedals like a champ. Also its fairly affordable for the build quality you get when you compare it to frames in its category. Let me know if you want any more info. The guys at morewood were super helpful for me and helped work around my budget.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
If cost is an issue, its hard to beat the Giant X1. It has a sweet build and can be found for under $2500. The COG feels great and the bike weighs about 35-36 in stock form.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Bought a preston FR a month ago, amazing bike for the price. It rails. All the guys at transition rule to work with and the bikes speak for themselves. Almost bought an Reign X though, pretty hot bike if you can find one... Good luck

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
The commencal meta-bikes are sick. I have a meta 4x as my do-it-all-fun bike (except pure dh). The suspension design is great in the rough. It´s easy to pump terrain to gain speed.

Super fun bike! Great geometry.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Commencal or maybe a good old ellsworth joker? Damn satisfied with mine. Yeti is great but i think it's to expensive but if you got the cash then why not

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Heard that slayer 50 is not so good at descending. I'd go for yeti if i were 2 chose from these 2

Oct 30, 2006
If you want the ultimate all mountain rides, id recommend an Intense 6.6 or a Turner RFX. You cant go wrong with either of these choices bro except from your wallets point of view....

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Just had my first ride today on my new prophet two, and i have to say im very, very impressed. It seems to ride better than anything ive ridden burly yet nimble. Iv so far only tried it in the slack position but look out for a bit of a write up soon. It realy does ride well though but could probably do with a bit of work to shave some lbs, it climbs well but at around 31lbs full build it aint a feather weight i recon if i take some weight of the wheels as stock there heavy formula/cheep dt hubs with 321's, i recon tubeless mavic with light hubs would make it feel about perfect(maby too light) for me theres a thin line between sketchy descending light and pig to get up climbs.

now ive ridden both xc type(trek fuel) and hard core all mountain like the slayer and i think it hits the middle ground better, it has the ability to go flat out untill the suspension limits you but it doesnt loose its 'edge' like the slayer or feel sketchy and un-controlable, so far its lived up to my expectations pretty dam well, thats only one ride though so we'll see if that holds up!
Id just like to say its a big contender for anyone who wants a trail/am/(downhillers idea of) xc bike. I also think if you droped a shorter shock in an xc spec and a revelation you could have a 27lbs low and slack short travel trail bike for flat out single track riding. or even a farely traditional xc bike with the adjustable geo, its like the bike thant has something for every body!