Quantcast

all mountain bike?

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
I have looked at the Nomad, Yeti 575, VP-free, Jamis Xam, and just can't decide which one to get. I also can't get on each one to ride around, it just isn't possible. I am now leaning toward a used vp-free, sc owners seem to be very happy with them and to my knowledge are only a pound heavier than the Nomad. I have posted before about the Yeti and Jamis, if you were looking to only own one bike to do a little of everything(I don't need something that is going to fly uphills or do 20' drops), I really don't have to fly uphills, but I also don't want to have a heart attack going up them, which one would you choose? I can get all of these bikes for around the same price too.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Look into an Ironhorse 6pt. You can put on a longer stroke shock to get about 6.5in. It is beefy enough, but not too beefy and it pedals great.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Look into an Ironhorse 6pt. You can put on a longer stroke shock to get about 6.5in. It is beefy enough, but not too beefy and it pedals great.
why would you want to do that? higher BB...Steeper head angle...sit higher on the bike :plthumbsdown: the bike is steep enough as is..

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
Rigid steel 29er is all you'll ever need.

Not to seem like such a pussy, but I tore my ACL a few years back and want to try and get something that take up the impact a bit before it reaches my knees. I have looked into some hardtail options, since I have an old Steel frame Scott. I do like the plushness of a FS, but do understand that riding a hardtail can help you pick the smoother lines and improve your skills before getting on a FS.

They all seem like great options:)

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo

I actually did look into a 6 point 4, but the components didn't seem all that great, it was new however and all bikes I am looking at except the Jamis would be used for around the same price as the 6 point 4, and they all have pretty sweet components, ie marz 66 rc2 fork, hope ti brakes,.....

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
No worries...
There are a few guys around here that run them like that.

C'mon down and maybe we'll see one.:monkeydance:
I don't want more travel....actually I have a shorter I<>I (8.5) with same stroke (2.5).

lowers my BB, slacken my head angle a bit... two thumbs up from me with that setup.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
How about a Giant Reign X? 6.75" rear and you can run a 36 or Totem on the front. Makes a great Mini DH bike to ride up and downhill on. I am waiting on the 08 Reign X to come in now. Was looking at the 08 IH 7Pt but don't think they sell it as a frameset. only.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not to seem like such a puss, but I tore my ACL a few years back and want to try and get something that take up the impact a bit before it reaches my knees. I have looked into some hardtail options, since I have an old Steel frame Scott. I do like the plushness of a FS, but do understand that riding a hardtail can help you pick the smoother lines and improve your skills before getting on a FS.

They all seem like great options:)
I wasn't serious, sorry.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
What trails are you going to ride on it?
I grew up in Ventura Co. and there's not a lot of freeride.
There is a lot of killer XC stuff, but that means lots of climbing.
If your hitting up Sycamore, Santa Monica Mtns and Ojai you'll want a lighter trail bike.
Think Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Giant Trance...Anything thats 4-5" and sub 30 pounds.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Unfortunately, Cannondale has dropped the Lefty Max from the '08 Prophets and instead equipped them with Fox forks (the Talus on the Specialized I rented didn't handle the big fast stuff well at all compared to my Lefty Max.). I'm hoping that the reason is because Manitou used to make the internals for the Leftys and now that they are in trouble Fox has taken over and haven't developed the internals for the Max yet. I bet the '08.5 or '09 models will have 160mm at both ends (with a Lefty Max of course. It is the lightest, stiffest, smoothest, best handling fork on the market after all.).
Cannondale has made a shorter travel Lefty with Fox internals called the Lefty Speed Carbon Fox Inertia. I would guess they are either coming out with a new revision of Lefties or phasing them out.

Also if you compare the Lefty Max to a competing proprietary DC XC fork like Maverick or Specialized you lose any strength to weight/stiffness advantage. I still don't think those forks are worth the tradeoffs either though...

Lefties are different for the sake of being different IMHO.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well, from my personal experience riding the lefty for 3 seasons and 3 days on the Specialized, the Lefty is superior to the Fox Talus even though they both have 140mm. Overall I thought my Prophet handled the rough stuff and downhills much better than the Specialized even though the Specialized retails for over $500 more (and they are nearly identically spec'd).
I had a Jekyll with a Lefty years ago. Suspension tuning for you preferences (weight, riding style, etc) could easily make that difference. There is no significant reason to run a Lefty in my personal experience. Also I was not talking about a Fox fork - I said Specialized dual crown - found on the Enduro SL for 2007.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'll be picking up a new reign x1 soon - a couple of people have mentioned it so far and I think it should definitely make that list. Isn't the VP more on the FR side than the rest of those?

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Even the non-X Reign series is a phenomenal platform for All-Mountain riding. The head tube angle makes the bike a little more agile, and the standard Reigns save a couple pounds from the burlier X's. I have been riding a Reign 0 for a year and am still impressed by the pedaling efficiency of the Maestro setup. The bike has seen brutal uphills and five foot drops, and besides the normal wear and tear, it holds up real well - plus, the bike is way more reasonably priced than the Santa Cruz's.

Just another consideration.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Even the non-X Reign series is a phenomenal platform for All-Mountain riding. The head tube angle makes the bike a little more agile, and the standard Reigns save a couple pounds from the burlier X's. I have been riding a Reign 0 for a year and am still impressed by the pedaling efficiency of the Maestro setup. The bike has seen brutal uphills and five foot drops, and besides the normal wear and tear, it holds up real well - plus, the bike is way more reasonably priced than the Santa Cruz's.

Just another consideration.
Yeah - I looked into the smaller travel reigns and they're not enough for me personally, but I could see them being great bikes for the uses mentioned.

* I haven't looked much at the other builds, but for the money, the x1 has a killer setup.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'll be picking up a new reign x1 soon - a couple of people have mentioned it so far and I think it should definitely make that list. Isn't the VP more on the FR side than the rest of those?
That's what I say - my wife rides a VP free for FR/DH. Maybe it's me, but I would find it hard to imagine climbing on it with 8.5 " of travel.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That's what I say - my wife rides a VP free for FR/DH. Maybe it's me, but I would find it hard to imagine climbing on it with 8.5 " of travel.
Word. And the riding in that area is brutal climbs

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
Thank you guys for the help, I ruled the vp free out.I was just thinking it's only a 1 lbs heavier than the Nomad and has a more than enough travel and a vpp design so it may have been alright for hills. The riegn x2 looks like a nice bike. What do you guys think about the BMC fourstroke 03?

The 575, Reign, 6point4, and Cannondale's are at the top of my list. I also really like the specialized enduro comp, but they're pretty hard to come by in my size.

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
What do you guys think about a transistion bottle rocket for an all mountain bike?

I have heard a lot of good things about the BR, but have never rode one. The bottle rocket is up there with my other top choices, Yeti 575, Reign x2, and a few others just don't know what to get, they're all between 1500 and 2000 grand except for the BR which is a little over that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depending on how big you are. I'm 6'4" and I love the Bottle Rocket for a play bike, but I wouldn't do long trails on it. The Preston on the other hand is a healthy bike for a "do all".

As you may notice, there are more bikes than you can ever ride. Find what your local shop carries and pick one from them.