Quantcast

All-mountain versus a cross-country mountain bike?

Fredjemes

Chimp
Nov 26, 2010
Can someone clarify the difference between these two types of mountain bikes? I was told that a cross-country bike with a full suspension is the same as all-mountain.

I'm assuming all-mountain means it can handle hard trails and a bit of downhill. Can a cross-country with full suspension do the same?

I need a bike that can handle long rides on flat trails as well as moderately advanced tough mountain trails.

Thanks!

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
There's a bunch of considerations here...

The cross country bike will generally have less travel - more in the 100 - 120 range; generally designed for trails without big bumps, roots, rocks, etc. The all mountain bike will be more in the 140 - 160 range; being designed for bigger terrain.

The all mountain bike will generally be a bit heavier (in the 30 lb range) vs. under 30 for a cross country bike. The extra weight coming from a heavier built bike for a bit more robustness on the trail.

The all mountain bike wll also have slacker geometry - more comfortable for bashing around and decending. The cross country bike will be more optimized for pedaling (and will have geometry better suited for climbing).

Sounds like you are looking for something in-between here. Best thing you can do is go test ride a bunch of bikes and talk to the guys in your LBS. If I were you - I'd probably look for a 140mm travel bike with slightly steeper geometry.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
+1 on the above....

The AM (All Mountain) bikes are in the 140mm travel range (up to about 160). After that you get into freeride bikes, below that you get more into XC.

For example take Turner bikes

Flux = XC (100mm)
5Spot = All Mountain/trail (140mm I believe)
RFX = Freeride (165mm)

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
There is a HUGE different between XC and AM. Then you factor in trail bikes.

An XC bike is targeted towards climbing, sprinting, and racing. Steep geometry, low travel (<120mm), Narrow tires, and weight saved virtually everywhere.

Trail bikes fit the niche between XC and AM. They'll save weight here and there, slack it out a bit, beef up the needed parts, and add more travel (not usually in excess of 140mm). Basically, you are going to get as much reward from this bike descending as you did climbing.

All Mountain bikes are basically an XC bike for a DH rider, or a big travel bike for a XC rider. Between 140mm of travel and 160mm. Slack head angle, but retain a steep seat angle for pedaling, bigger tires, stronger wheels. They sometimes even feature DH like attributes in the frame like a Thru-Axle rear wheel, stronger tubing, 1.5 headtubes, etc. They are targeted more towards the descent and can even dabble into some jumping or hucking when the time comes.

Say you were looking at a Specialized:

Epic for all out XC riding
Camber or Stumpjumper for Trail riding
Pitch or Enduro for All Mountain riding.

Sounds like what you are looking for is a Trail bike. Can handle the flat trails at ALMOST race pace, but doesn't hold you back like an XC bike would on the downs.

Last edited:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
not to steal this post but what would be the best low-cost trail bike?
Nearly any company you are going to be looking at probably has a good trail bike, with a low price option. My suggestion to you, run down to the Local Bike Shop, see what they have to offer in terms of brands. I guarantee we can suggest a good trail bike out of those at the price point you can afford. Plus, LBS have a lot to offer when you buy a bike from them. At times, free adjustments, lower labor rates, and to be on good terms with your LBS is never a bad thing.

lunicycle

Chimp
Oct 15, 2010
Central Victoria, Australia
In addition to what the other guys have said, I sometimes go out on rides with a buddy who has a high end XC Trek dual sus bike, I'm on a Ibis Mojo HD, a schizzle of an AM machine. I usually ride alone so it's an interesting experience from a bike comparison point of view.

Fwiw:

The XC bike seems to handle long easy climbs better e.g. fire roads.

On short steep technical climbs e.g. rocky singletrack the AM bike climbs like a goat, leaving the XC behind. Hard to say how much of that is bike specific, tires etc.

In confined, average speed, smooth singletrack it's pretty much one or the other.

On descents of any type the AM bike scoots away. The travel, frame geo etc make it a jet.

Sprinting, acceleration: XC bike

Another example would be if you're out on a ride and come across a great fun downhill:

On an XC bike you'd descend it once, enjoy it, be relieved you survived it and continue on the ride.

On an AM bike you'd go sh*t that was great fun, turn around, ride back up the climb, descend again, repeat until you've had enough and continue on

On a DH bike you'd have a blast going down but would be waiting for the shuttle to take you back up :)

So by my incredibly biased score card here's what I reckon:

If your main interest is in XC/Enduro racing: XC bike

If you're not into racing, but riding alone or with buddies and having a lot of fun on whatever terrain you come across: AM - more fun for your $!

Sep 16, 2008
Blackstone, MA
because its the only bike i have, i use my xc for everything: dropoffs and epic downhills i think my bike handles great for everything. But i do want a longer travel bike just as a fear of finaly finding my xc's limit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
All-mountain bikes are another way for large manufacturers to sell new bikes to sideways hat DH bro-brahs who don't want to be seen on lightweight, aggressive sleds, and are too afraid to give up their overweight components for fear they might encounter "a jump" or "some gnar" that might give them trouble on anything less than 6" of travel.

nobutseriously XC used to mean anything where you had to go up to get down, and DH was just down...now you have a category for everything in between. XC race, marathon, trail, AM, mini-DH, DH....whatever. Just decide how much weight you want to push around and then pick your bike based on that. You OK with a 35lb bike? Fine, it'll be real comfortable. You want something lighter so you can ride longer? Fine, get the 4.5" travel bike.

I've ridden everything from hardtails to DH bikes on XC trails. Anybody who tells you that you need 7" of travel and big heavy wheels if you're going both up and down is crazy. Anything between 3-6" of travel is a healthy, fully capable bike for 90% of riding.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
All these moronic terms for what we do on a bike. I ride with a bunch of guys who ride all kinds of stuff. Me on a 100 fork hardtail that is pretty light but has a 183 front rotor and 2.4 Conti's for grip and cush. I ride all over the mountain. Does that not make my bike All mountain? others are on 29ers with 4 inches front and back, some are on 6X6 bikes but we are all riding the same place. They are just terms. Don't let your self be pigeon holed by industry terms. Determine where you ride and which bike will work best for you.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
All-mountain bikes are another way for large manufacturers to sell new bikes to sideways hat DH bro-brahs who don't want to be seen on lightweight, aggressive sleds, and are too afraid to give up their overweight components for fear they might encounter "a jump" or "some gnar" that might give them trouble on anything less than 6" of travel.

nobutseriously XC used to mean anything where you had to go up to get down, and DH was just down...now you have a category for everything in between. XC race, marathon, trail, AM, mini-DH, DH....whatever. Just decide how much weight you want to push around and then pick your bike based on that. You OK with a 35lb bike? Fine, it'll be real comfortable. You want something lighter so you can ride longer? Fine, get the 4.5" travel bike.

I've ridden everything from hardtails to DH bikes on XC trails. Anybody who tells you that you need 7" of travel and big heavy wheels if you're going both up and down is crazy. Anything between 3-6" of travel is a healthy, fully capable bike for 90% of riding.
I would have to disagree as far as being able to use a XC bike on the trails I can ride on my AM bike. Its possible, from a great bike handler, and I have done it before, but a doing it continuously, YOU WILL DESTROY IT. I have been destroying my AM bike on the rides that I do on it. Nearly everyone here who rides those trails, has at least a 5" travel bike, heavier wheels, shorter stems, big tires, chainguides, etc.

Every bike has a niche because the industry has progressed, and people have become more picky about what they want. Think 20 years ago, people didn't give 2 ****s about what head angle they needed, or 1/4" of BB height difference. They used the same bike for XC and DH, and your focus was trying to find the smoothest line and being able to stop.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I would have to disagree as far as being able to use a XC bike on the trails I can ride on my AM bike. Its possible, from a great bike handler, and I have done it before, but a doing it continuously, YOU WILL DESTROY IT. I have been destroying my AM bike on the rides that I do on it. Nearly everyone here who rides those trails, has at least a 5" travel bike, heavier wheels, shorter stems, big tires, chainguides, etc.

Every bike has a niche because the industry has progressed, and people have become more picky about what they want. Think 20 years ago, people didn't give 2 ****s about what head angle they needed, or 1/4" of BB height difference. They used the same bike for XC and DH, and your focus was trying to find the smoothest line and being able to stop.
What he said. One of the local trails here is called Romero. Its a fireroad up and an option of a steep canyon trail down or back down the fireroad. My XC racer friends hardly ever tread down the canyon trail. Its steep and very rocky. You can do it on an XC bike, but its sketchy. An AM bike makes it pretty fun.

I think you bike choice depends heavily on local terrain. Smooth, flowy trails are so much fun on a lighter more nimble bike. If I lived somewhere like that I wouldn't have an Enduro.

If you need something to handle a wide variety of terrain a 120mm trail bike is probably the best call. They split the difference between the two. Making technical descents less of a chore and long climbs less painful.

Jul 24, 2008
Enumclaw
I ride a Intense Tracer with a talas, for me its a perfect mix, I've had a stumpjumper, ReignX, and trance none of them fit the all mountain ticket. If you want to do some epic loops and enjoy the downhills go with 140-160mm with lockouts