Quantcast

All-Rounder Fork

Wordbiker

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
After just receiving an '05 Scott Nitrous SL11, I've been pounding these forums looking for a fork better than the Nixon Super that came stock. The single pivot rear sports either 150 or 170mm of travel via a Manitou Swinger 4-way air shock, and I'd love to find a similar travel fork for rough XC to possibly taking on a DH in the geriatric category. I can't afford a stable full of bikes, so this one has to suit any type of riding I may take on. I rode a Trek Fuel not long ago at SRAM school with F&R lockouts, and I kinda liked that feature, as well as the feel of air shocks.

What I don't like is the "lockout" on the Nixon. It doesn't seem to work consistently, and the Maverick DUC32 fork I was drooling over has lost some appeal in my eyes as a potential replacement due to having the same type of lockout (not to mention cost).

Other forks I am considering are:

• Marzocchi 66 SL
  • Marzocchi Z1 FR SL
  • Marzocchi All Mountain SL TST
  • Marzocchi All Mountain 1 TST/ETA/TAS
  • Rock Shox BoXXer Ride
  • Manitou Travis Single Intrinsic 180mm,1.5"

Just about any of them are going to require a new front wheel since the Scott has a QR, and I'd prefer a 20mm. I'd also like to keep the weight down as much as possible, but not at the cost of performance. Any suggestions?

DH_RACER21

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
im ridding boxxer team this year, i love the boxxer series there very plush and tunning and adjusting is ver comon sense on them. GO boxxer ride u will enjoy it

Wordbiker

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Yeah, after learning how to rebuild the BoXXer I must admit a bit of fondness for it, but I was hoping to find a lighter fork, and perhaps a single crown. I have read good things about the adjustability of the Ride, and the possibility of running a rear shock also with a remote for dual lockout intrigues me.

As I said before, I don't care for how the lockout works (or doesn't) on the Nixon. The feel is completely different than the rear shock, and I must also shamefully admit that I just don't care for how it looks. My wife says the gold looks like a pimp's teeth. :rolleyes:

I am also looking at the Fox 36 Talas.

Wordbiker

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
blue said:
Does the Travis have adjustable travel?
Not that I am aware of. It is available in either a 180mm or 203mm travel, bolted or QR axle, and black or white.

I'd hate to choose a fork based on the headtube size alone. I can easily use a reducing headset for 1-1/8" (and plan to as the adapters that come stock are freakin HUGE!) which would lower my front end down, compensating for a longer fork than the Nixon.

At the top of my list right now is the 66 SL...until it comes to the weight issue. I have seen it listed as both 5.17 lbs and 7 lbs...Hmmm...Sure looks nice, and the travel range matches the Scott exactly. No lockouts though.
The All Mountain forks look great and have the lockouts and features I'm stoked on for climbing days....but they don't come with a 20mm axle, and top out at 150mm travel.
The Ride sure seems to fit the bill, and I know it will accept a lockout...but the weight is up there, and I'd like to try a SC solution as I'm not sure I'd need the strength of a DC fork. It's too bad RockShox is so proud of their World Cup forks (as shown in the price). I can't understand how they charge more for a fork that is actually simplified in some ways over the other BoXXers. Guess they need to make payments on the box van.
The Travis is pretty much like the 66 SL...except less adjustable, and coil.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Your major complaint with your current fork is the lockout a feature of mainly XC forks / riding. Your choices for a replacement forks are mostly freeride forks. If weight and pedalling are your priorties look into the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork it has a QR and makes for a good trail / all mountain fork. The need to really evaluate what you want from a fork sounds like your current needs are XC based. Most Freeride long travel forks are heavier and have no pedalling platform.

Wordbiker

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Thanks for the intelligent reply Keen. :)

My background is/was in XC, and although I never did great at it, I did have a lot of fun. At the end of my racing career I made the realization that the only passing I was doing was on the downhills, so I did a season of DH on a team-supplied Turner Afterburner...and had the best racing results in all my years of riding. Unfortunately, that all changed after going through a divorce and selling off everything and getting completely out of bikes for the past 5-6 years.

My needs are different now, and I am just getting back into riding with the new Nitrous. I'd like to set the bike up to be capable of riding larger courses for fun, but since it's my only mountain bike...a lockout or platform would work wonders to get there under my own power. Perhaps I am asking for something that just doesn't exist...but I had to ask anyway. Your suggestion of the All Mountain fork is a good one, though I may "suffer along" with the 66 SL, and take advantage of that sweet plush travel.

Thanks for the input, and I would welcome any more suggestions.

Apr 22, 2006
Medfield, MA
Get a Fox 36 VAN RC2 if you want your bike to be a light-duty freeride machine. It is extremely light, yet still has 6 inches of travel and a thru-axle. It is right in the middle of the travel range of your frame. However, they are a bit pricey.
Overall, I'd say whatever fork you get keep it single-crown. I like how responsive long travel bikes with SC forks feel over their DC bro's. Just make sure you are not trying to turn this bike into an XC steed. Keep it light, keep it long-ish travel, and have fun.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Goldcoast hit the nail on the head...I think the Fox 36 VAN is what you're looking for. Light, pedalable, beefy, and can handle downhills with ease.

If you're lighter, you could even look into one of the air versions.

Also, about the 66, you may have seen the weight for the 66 Light ETA (http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detailSPAForksMTB.asp?IDFolder=113&IDOggetto=28045&LN=UK&Sito=mtb)

I haven't heard much about the 66 Light, but I think it would also fit the bill, and probably not as pricey as the Fox.

Wordbiker

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I am leaning toward the 66 SL for the adjustable travel, Marzocchi's rep, and for the price-to-performance ratio. The fact that it's a great looking fork is a nice bonus.

It's too bad that just about all the fork manufacturers are so elusive with their published weights. Geez, you'd think I was asking a chick how much she weighed...:rolleyes: I have seen everything from nothing at all to 5.1 to 7 lbs listed for the 66 SL. You'd also think a company that machines parts requiring such tight tolerances could find an accurate scale somewhere. ;) Honestly, just give us the weight with an uncut steerer and we'll all respect you more for it.