Quantcast

All things Dentist

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
In order to properly celebrate my awesomeness I got myself this single malt scotch which is 16 years old and somewhat smokey scotch. The were other choices in the 10 to 14 year range but I didn't feel like driving the pedo van today.

View media item 2748
While enjoying this one shot at a time I'm going to see what sort of Dentist bike I might need to more effectively camouflage my lack of skill. How much does a bike have to cost to be a true dentist bike and can it be used?

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeti is a good start, $3.5k just for frame. With that, you get their patented Twin-Wanker design. If you want to be truly hated, get Special-Ed S-Works Epic 29 frameset for $5700, add some lizard-approved Enve components, plastic cranks and you can hit 5 figures in no time.

And then there is this, of course:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Somewhat smokey?
This is arguably the smokeyest Scotch on the market.

Enjoy!
I know next to nothing about scotch, I was after something else I had at a Christmas party but I couldn't remember what it was. This one is quite smokey and aromatic and tasty. :)

EDIT: I poured 1 shot into a rocks glass and it filled the entire room with smokiness.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yeti is a good start, $3.5k just for frame. With that, you get their patented Twin-Wanker design. If you want to be truly hated, get Special-Ed S-Works Epic 29 frameset for $5700, add some lizard-approved Enve components, plastic cranks and you can hit 5 figures in no time.

And then there is this, of course:
I have a hard limit of 4K built and delivered, I may have to skip the Dentist Bike and settle for full on poser...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yep, I'd vote Yeti SB-5 or SB-6. Never seen either in the flesh for more than a second or two, but a dang dead sexy dentist-mobile.

Be sure to get the carbon wheels and an electronic transmission. And carbon cranks.

And bars....

And stem....

You won't be sorry.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a hard limit of 4K built and delivered, I may have to skip the Dentist Bike and settle for full on poser...

I think you might be wading into drkenan's dentist territory with that budgetary limitation.

Still lots of kickass bikes out there for that dough, though, fo sho.

I'd go used dentist bike, for upped dentist-potential. What size frame do you typically ride? Med? Large?

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
G
I think you might be wading into drkenan's dentist territory with that budgetary limitation.

Still lots of kickass bikes out there for that dough, though, fo sho.

I'd go used dentist bike, for upped dentist-potential.
I haven't bought a complete new bike since the 90s, I usually buy my frames used and build them up with what I think I need at the time. My newest bits are a Fox Vanilla coil shock and an RLC fork from 2006, I should update those too.

Size medium with short top tube and narrow bars, may consider going back to hard tail if I could test a Trek Stache prior to buying.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1943766/
G

I haven't bought a complete new bike since the 90s, I usually buy my frames used and build them up with what I think I need at the time. My newest bits are a Fox Vanilla coil shock and an RLC fork from 2006, I should update those too.

Size medium with short top tube and narrow bars, may consider going back to hard tail if I could test a Trek Stache prior to buying.
Dentists ride hardtails???

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I may lack commitment to the Dentist ideal, would it help you know they're available as a 29r?

Locally I have a Giant and Specialized dealer, I always had good results with the Giant frames I've had in the past, I had a 90s Stump Jumper that I didnt like too much.

There is also a Cannondale dealer about 4 blocks away, I've always thought of them as a dentist brand.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cannondale is for this sort of dentist:

Though in all seriousness, I've seen some guys absolutely destroy trails on a Cannondale. Granted, they'd probably do the same on a tricycle, but still.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Cannondale is for this sort of dentist:

Though in all seriousness, I've seen some guys absolutely destroy trails on a Cannondale. Granted, they'd probably do the same on a tricycle, but still.
I can't afford the Cannodale I'd want, there is not a lot of value in their very limited trail offerings.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
how bout a custom steel hardtail from the builder of your choice?
I have a Serotta road bike, might consider a mountain bike but there is no dealer in Montana that I know of.

Giant Trance Advanced if you can get it on sale...
Thats what I'm looking at now a Trance ST 27.5, I'd need a size small according to their chart, seems reasonably spec'd for the price.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
No way. Laphroag is way smokier.

Lagavulin 16 is now basically my go to scotch.
Just looked it up. Appearently its all about PPM (Phenol parts Per Million) scale when it comes to smoke.
Bruichladdich Octomore seems to be the smokiest in the world.
Ardbeg ranks pretty high followed by the usual Islay suspects.

Also seems to have to do with year, and results may even vary per bottle.
To me the smoke in the Lagavulin 16 allways felt like it overpowered any of the other flavors, which is why I thought it was more smokey then the Ardbeg and Laphroaig which both seem to have a richer pallete, at least to me.

That said, i havent tried all different bottles from all these distilleries and Ive never tried anything from Bruichladdich.

Anyways, probably not the smokiest, but definitly way up there...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know next to nothing about scotch, I was after something else I had at a Christmas party but I couldn't remember what it was. This one is quite smokey and aromatic and tasty. :)

EDIT: I poured 1 shot into a rocks glass and it filled the entire room with smokiness.
F-yeah, it's smoky, sweet, peaty, smooth, etc. It somehow manages to combine that awesome smokieness with something that's not sharp or harsh, like I've found with Laphrioag and a few others. I find that Ardbeg is a little better value, a little better than Laphrioag, but a lot cheaper than Laga, but I've been finding Laga on sale recently, so that's a no-brainer for me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That said, i havent tried all different bottles from all these distilleries and Ive never tried anything from Bruichladdich.
I have some Port Charlotte here from Bruichladdich, not overly impressive. Lower quality than Ardbeg and Lagavulin for sure. Will not buy again. I'll still reserve judgement for some of Bruichs higher end stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Montana has crap for selection of wild caught salmon, locally I pay $18 a pound frozen, I looked into a subscription and shit my pants at the expense but it didn't matter as they had all sold out, line caught as high as $40 a pound shipped fresh and not including shipping.
Jesus. I went out with some friends in a boat with a 5' wide net and just dipped it in the river and waited until the salmon ran into it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Exactly, when I lived on the harbor in Washington you never had to pay for anything except your license...
Well, it's not quite as simple as I make it sound. $200 net with friends on a borrowed boat fighting with a few hundred other boats on a river and trying to not hit everyone else and not get caught by the low tide. During said run, had some fun with a broken fuel line and some duct-tape/jerry-rigged repairs to avoid crashing into rocks and trees, then take salmon booty to processor to get packaged and flash frozen, which is more $$$. But overall good times and a bunch of salmon, of which I still have leftovers.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I have some Port Charlotte here from Bruichladdich, not overly impressive. Lower quality than Ardbeg and Lagavulin for sure. Will not buy again. I'll still reserve judgement for some of Bruichs higher end stuff.
Was googeling for that Octomore just now, getting mixed reviews...
Think Ill go for something else in stead.
Still looking for a replacement for my all time favorite the Yamazaki 18 now that its price has gone through the roof...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am about to start my third season on a GT Sensor. It's been a good and trouble free bike. If you look around you can find some really good deals.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am about to start my third season on a GT Sensor. It's been a good and trouble free bike. If you look around you can find some really good deals.
Jenson has one GT Sensor GX1 for 3K, I'll have to chec k their site to see recommended sizing.
You could get a really nice angle grinder with your budget.
Or a weekend of hookers and blow.
go retro and get a 26er
I'm seriously considering a Surly Pugsly but I'm not sure they are available in a 26 inch wheel size... a Moonlander seems a bit overkill.