Quantcast

All things Dentist

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Jenson has one GT Sensor GX1 for 3K, I'll have to chec k their site to see recommended sizing.

Or a weekend of hookers and blow.

I'm seriously considering a Surly Pugsly but I'm not sure they are available in a 26 inch wheel size... a Moonlander seems a bit overkill.
I have seen some really good deal on 2014 Carbon Sensor Pro models. Really good specs and full carbon frame. It runs the more stout rear end as the Force.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Jenson has banshees on killer closeout right now. Not sure if the build is dentist enough for you tho
I'm hesitant to buy a complete bike from discounters, its hard for me to judge the value & quality of the build when I don't recognize the bits. The last complete bike a bout was a 1996 Trek Y22 with a Rock Shock Judy and Sram Grip Shift drive train. I love the shit out of it until I learned about pogo sticking... the OEM bits began to fail after 3 years starting with the odd sram carbon fiber cased rear derailleur, followed by the Judy locking up and only delivering 2 or 3 cms of travel. I spent more money fixing that bike than it cost new which was around 2K at the time, Dentist bikes in those days where at least 3K.

View media item 2755
I like what I buy to last a good long time - my current bike is a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar that I roached together in 2004 with bits from past bikes and take off components from Skookum's 2003? Giant Reign.

Fox Vanilla RLC Fork
Fox Vanilla R shock
XT Frogleg shifters / levers
XT hydraulic brakes
LX crans & front rings from 1999
XT rear derailleur / cassette
545 pedals
Mavic X3.1 wheel set.

I don't really know what the equivalents are today. I'll keep my saddle in lieu of breaking in a new one.

View media item 2752View media item 2749View media item 2751View media item 2750View media item 2753

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
I have a Serotta road bike, might consider a mountain bike but there is no dealer in Montana that I know of.

Thats what I'm looking at now a Trance ST 27.5, I'd need a size small according to their chart, seems reasonably spec'd for the price.
Carl Strong is in Bozeman and Sklar is too. Serotta isn't around anymore. Fat Chance is back in business if you ever liked them.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Carl Strong is in Bozeman and Sklar is too. Serotta isn't around anymore. Fat Chance is back in business if you ever liked them.
I didn't know they had closed but firing the personality of a personality based business didn't seem like a good idea. I check your guys out on the web.

EDIT: I could get this built for about 4K

View media item 2754
View media item 2756

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm hesitant to buy a complete bike from disctimeers, its hard for me to judge the value & quality of the build when I don't recognize the bits. The last complete bike a bout was a 1996 Trek Y22 with a Rock Shock Judy and Sram Grip Shift drive train. I love the shit out of it until I learned about pogo sticking... the OEM bits began to fail after 3 years starting with the odd sram carbon fiber cased rear derailleur, followed by the Judy locking up and only delivering 2 or 3 cms of travel. I spent more money fixing that bike than it cost new which was around 2K at the time, Dentist bikes in those days where at least 3K.

View media item 2755
I like what I buy to last a good long time - my current bike is a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar that I roached together in 2004 with bits from past bikes and take off components from Skookum's 2003? Giant Reign.

Fox Vanilla RLC Fork
Fox Vanilla R shock
XT Frogleg shifters / levers
XT hydraulic brakes
LX crans & front rings from 1999
XT rear derailleur / cassette
545 pedals
Mavic X3.1 wheel set.

I don't really know what the equivalents are today. I'll keep my saddle in lieu of breaking in a new one.

View media item 2752View media item 2749View media item 2751View media item 2750View media item 2753
Things have changed a lot since the last time you bought a bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
dafuq isthat, a fat bike trail? :twitch:
Yes.

Its in a public forest, but I have a feeling that the ski resort next to it has free reign over it. They probably rented fat bikes over the winter. They also groom all of the fire roads for cross country skiiers. Not sure why that's a fat bike trail and the rest aren't, though. :crazy:

Every once in a while you run into a group of Segway's from the resort...:butcher:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yes.

Its in a public forest, but I have a feeling that the ski resort next to it has free reign over it. They probably rented fat bikes over the winter. They also groom all of the fire roads for cross country skiiers. Not sure why that's a fat bike trail and the rest aren't, though. :crazy:

Every once in a while you run into a group of Segway's from the resort...:butcher:
Sounds like a popular dentists destination.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
i was hoping it was "fat biker trap"

so, @Serial Midget , what are you lookinng for? fatbike? full sus? 29? 27.5? more shreddy? more xc? give us some guidance.
I am intrigued by fatbikes but my reality will be a full suspension with good bits I can trust. Size small or medium depending on the reach from the saddle, also need the ability to hang off back of the saddle or maybe have one of those fancy drop posts.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am about to start my third season on a GT Sensor. It's been a good and trouble free bike. If you look around you can find some really good deals.
OK. So I didn't go full on Dentist. There were some kick ass reviews for the 2014 Sensor Carbon Expert despite a noodly fork and so-so brakes. The one I ordered is the "Team" and has a Fox 32 and Formula T1 which will be the only component that may need replaced.

Bike: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/gt-sensor-carbon-team-complete-mountain-bike-2014?skidn=GTE001N-RAW-S&ti=UExQIENhdDpNb3VudGFpbiBCaWtlcyAmIEZyYW1lczoxOjc6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNjA=

The Lizard People Review that sold me: http://www.bikemag.com/gear/video-2014-bible-of-bike-tests-roundtable-rowdiness/#6HJV3HqYHkBtJeU2.97

I'm pretty excited now that I have finally made a decision, the bike should be here in a week, its new tires will arrive Monday. :)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
OK. So I didn't go full on Dentist. There were some kick ass reviews for the 2014 Sensor Carbon Expert despite a noodly fork and so-so brakes. The one I ordered is the "Team" and has a Fox 32 and Formula T1 which will be the only component that may need replaced.

Bike: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/gt-sensor-carbon-team-complete-mountain-bike-2014?skidn=GTE001N-RAW-S&ti=UExQIENhdDpNb3VudGFpbiBCaWtlcyAmIEZyYW1lczoxOjc6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNjA=

The Lizard People Review that sold me: http://www.bikemag.com/gear/video-2014-bible-of-bike-tests-roundtable-rowdiness/#6HJV3HqYHkBtJeU2.97

I'm pretty excited now that I have finally made a decision, the bike should be here in a week, its new tires will arrive Monday. :)
Congrats man ! XTR shifting is the shit.

You can save 3/4 to a pound by ditching the front derailleur and getting a Race Face narrow wide chainring. Might want to consider that after your fitness increases to where you don't need the front shifting. Which will probably be fairly quickly as new bikes tend to motivate riders. That is, of course, when the rehab center clears you for take off.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hot damn that is nice. Well I love my Sensor. I have done a lot of small changes to it suite me better than the stock bike. I did a lot of the changes right from the start so I could sell the stuff I did not like brand new. I moved over some stuff from my old bike that I was still working fine like seat, brakes and cranks. I will be happy to share my experience if you need any input. The review from 2014 is spot on.