Quantcast

All time best metal records?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
narlus said:
you're gonna need some time to take the stash:

Hahaha...I've got two huge rolling suitcases that would fit every one. I'd leave the vinyl for the next guy having already sold all my own save a few imports/special editions, e.g. original Beatles, original Scorpions "Lovedrive" cover, etc.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
That collection is very impressive. I'll be right over.

*Narlus, I saw you mentioned The Locust as an honorable mention. I've been meaning to check them out. I like some noisy punk/post-punk, like Refused, but are they very "accessible" or mostly ear-splitting?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DNA said:
Do you mean Stormtroopers of Death or System of a Down for SoD?
Stormtroopers of Death of course..
Not that System isn't great and all.

Ohh LL. You'll pry my CD's out of my cold dead fingers :devil:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
My list:
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Corrosion of Conformity - Animosity
Motorhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith
Metallica - Kill 'Em All

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
KonaJosh said:
That collection is very impressive. I'll be right over.

*Narlus, I saw you mentioned The Locust as an honorable mention. I've been meaning to check them out. I like some noisy punk/post-punk, like Refused, but are they very "accessible" or mostly ear-splitting?
not really accessible. kinda like the fast thrash stuff of lightning bolt or melt-banana. good in small doses.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
Opeth
Clutch
Slayer Reign in Blood (anyone else have the disc with the red gel and floating skulls inside the cover? it was cool)
Metallica Master of Puppets
And COC because I grew up in Raleigh and went to school with some of them dudes (and a shout-out for Confessor)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Good picks! Gotta agree with the SOD. Slayer's South of Heaven ramps up my adrenaline levels every time.

Not metal, but way cool old stuff (if you can find 'em):
-Big Black - Atomizer, Songs About F***ing (Steve Albini, producer of Nirvana's In Utero album doing some really wild feedback/sick lyric stuff)
-Barkmarket - Vegas Throat, Gimmick (!)
-Shelac - (Steve Albini in a later band)

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
bigginsis said:
Opeth
Clutch
Slayer Reign in Blood (anyone else have the disc with the red gel and floating skulls inside the cover? it was cool)
Metallica Master of Puppets
And COC because I grew up in Raleigh and went to school with some of them dudes (and a shout-out for Confessor)
COC do you mean corrosion of conformitty?...MMM i used to have an album called animosity! what a great album! i totally fogot about that one!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the boxes of 7" singles (probably about 1200 or so) are upstairs in my bedroom...gotta figure out a way to get some slide-out shelves made, but a custom job would be pricey.

IAB, normally i go alphabetically (except for compilatons, which are sorted by label), but i've been busy ripping a lot of my cd to my 300GB external drive i bought a couple months ago, which is why stuff is in such disarray. i've got about 100GB filled, but plenty more to go. i think i may need another one. :think:

btw, any NC peeps ever listen to any Antiseen? that's some good southern sludge rock.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I'm glad someone mentioned Venom.. but you should have listed their true quintessential album: Black Metal. A whole sub-genere took up the name.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
bigginsis said:
yep corrosion of conformity - man those dudes knew how to throw it down hard. went to many shows on the local scene...
I saw COC at a club in Isla Vista (that is now a classroom for UCSB.) Phil Anselmo from Pantera was there at the show and played bass on one tune and sang a Black Flag song with 'em. So friggen cool!

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
Zark said:
I saw COC at a club in Isla Vista (that is now a classroom for UCSB.) Phil Anselmo from Pantera was there at the show and played bass on one tune and sang a Black Flag song with 'em. So friggen cool!
once i saw hootie and the blowfish in Wilmington NC at 3 bands for 3 bucks night...

the drummer for COC always blew me away - he could double bass with one pedal.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
bigginsis said:
BAHAHAHA! I have it!!!! 'The Blood Bag' I remember when I got one and brought it to work, all the metalheads I worked with went to Tower en masse to get their own...that was an EP though...with Seasons in the Abyss. My blood dried up though and the blood bag looks really gnarly now...but I still have it! :thumb:

5 of my personal all time favorites:

Helmet - Meantime
Black Sabbath - We Sold our Souls for Rock and Roll
Anthrax - Among the Living
Metallica - Ride the Lightening
Slayer - of course...Reign in Blood

oh how could I forget...Alice in Chains - Dirt...really anything they did, but Dirts my favorite CD of all time.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
I'm glad someone mentioned Venom.. but you should have listed their true quintessential album: Black Metal. A whole sub-genere took up the name.
you ever hear the Venom 7" which thurston moore put out on his ecstatic peace! label? damn that is funny. basically it was a live recording edited down to just the stage banter between songs.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
you ever hear the Venom 7" which thurston moore put out on his ecstatic peace! label? damn that is funny. basically it was a live recording edited down to just the stage banter between songs.
Never heard. Sounds like it would be kinda funny. Those who don't know who Thurston Moore is, for shame. :nope:

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I just got back from hmv to order COC animosity...the album is "out of production"! :mad:

i wanted one! (i've lost my vinyl version long ago)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
now that we are on skin material, let's diverge further. what's the best nudity on an lp jacket? my nominees are:

boss hogg - _drinkin' lying and letchin'_ or _cold hands_ (bonus for band leader christina being cover model for both)

or the pixies _surfer rosa_

oh, and there are probably about 35 acid mothers temple records which could also fit the bill. i think it's a kawabata makoto mandate that breasts be on nearly every release.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
man of what type of metal ?

Stoner Rock
Proto-Metal
Heavy Metal
Speed Metal
Thrash Metal
Hardcore
Death Metal
Black Metal
Retro-cumulative
Industrial

there are so many to choose from ?

just off the top of my head here are some of my favorites from the early 90's

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
Here it goes in no praticular order:
Helmet- Meantime
Slayer- Reign in Blood (none more metal)
Metallica- Ride the Lightening
Minor Threat- Red album (the one with Ian on the cover), not metal but still kicks azz!
Bad Brains- Rock for Light, again not metal but same as above

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Ooo ooo oo. And how could I not mention the Dwarves cover art!! Leme go find a pic.

Edit: Second thought, I'd have to edit a bunch of the cover for public consumption. "Blood, Guts, & Pussy" wins hands down. :devil:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rockland, if you trot out _blood, guts, and pu$$y_, this thread will be smote w/ great vengeance.

gotta love the dwarves, though. who else would have a record called _toolin' for a warm tea bag_?

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
rockland, if you trot out _blood, guts, and pu$$y_, this thread will be smote w/ great vengeance.

gotta love the dwarves, though. who else would have a record called _toolin' for a warm tea bag_?
You beat me to it..
:devil: Not gonna happen.