Quantcast

All you film makers out there!

bikedh7

Monkey
May 23, 2006
big bear city
Need your help.What sorta setups do you have for filming DH?I just have a basic Cannon video camera, any ideas?new lens ,lens filters,..or...?

cheers.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
kinda hard to tell you what you can do without knowing your camera. It may/may not be able to accept additional lenses/filters. I assume you're going to be doing editing on your computer so if it doesn't have firewire that'll be another hurdle, etc. good luck

Cliff13

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
NC
I know using a tripod helps alot, om try and put some stuff on your pc threw a fire wire cord. It should have come with something to plug it into ur pc. If it didn't go to the store and buy one. Some cameras you cant hook up to pc's though. Im just starting to edit, film videos. I ride most the time but i love editing things. A good program is adobe preimer elements, its cheap and easy to use. Great for any one.

bikedh7

Monkey
May 23, 2006
big bear city
alright cool thanks

Cliff13, thats excactly how I am, ride most of the time but like to film and edit, if only you could do both at the same time.....

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
If you haven't already been shooting and editing complete pieces, I wouldn't worry about what camera you have, or what lens. Just get good at shooting with what you have and getting the workflow to your computer and out to a finished project worked out. Learn how to edit and compose clean interesting shots that you can work with. You'll then know what you need as far as gear.

The mac has everything you need out of the showroom, to capture, edit, and output small video. You won't need to buy extra software or worry that your computer doesn't have firewire, etc.

Have fun,

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have just been doing it for a year but i have gotten better every
time i make one.

just have fun and keep with it.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
learn whatever manual controls your camera might have. the less crap you have on auto, the better. generally speaking.
well said.

Try using a tripod you always want nice steady shots for dh, and its easy to do since you dont have to follow the rider. something you can look into is a handle, you can make one or buy one a good example is what terrible one offers http://www.terribleone.com/mainpage.htm# click on store and you'll see the "T1 video camera handle" a handle gets you a steadier shot, it's slightly easier to follow the rider and it offers some different opportunities for angles.
Wider shots are always nice for filming DH, not quite fisheye (.32 aka 180 degree) but a wideangle (.42 or so) is nice. All you have to do is figure out your lens ring size and find a matching wide angle lens.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
man im in the same possition. I love riding, but I like making films and catching things and then editing it to a movie.

www.myspace.com/ss_pictures
^thats my start, im using a Song Handycam from like 2003-2004. It has a Sony UV filter on the front and it cleans up the sun (no sun blur/rays) it helps alot.

a tripod is next on my list.

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
i have just been doing it for a year but i have gotten better every
time i make one.

just have fun and keep with it.
Best way to do it, I started making movies 4 years ago, started with some crap Sony handycam, now I got a pretty good one. Just started using 2x and 0.5x lenses for some pretty cool shots, haven't really dabbled into filters yet.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
dont spend money on filters. uv haze filters work more as a lens protector layer than anything else, unless you're shooting from across a valley or something.

take the money you would have spent onf filters and spend it on more tapes and shoot more, that will get you improvements far beyond some filters.

the widest lens you can get without getting distortion is like .6x on a wdie adaptor. anythig wider will get you some kind of funky distortion. if you are goign for that, you might as well get the widest thing you can, typically .3x fish.

cameras these days are getting a lot better. when i started out i had a canon elura 10 or something like that, it was probably $1100 and was kinda small and got a not so awesome image. for less than a grand today you can get a 3 chip camera from panisonic that shoots a great image and has some decent manual controls on it. so far as standard def cameras go, if you shoot an interesting image and it's in focus and otherwise technically ok, no one's going to say. "oh man, you can tell this was shot on a $700 panisonic and not a sony vx"... from traveling around all summer at races (bike related) and having to work on student and professional sets (non bike related) i can tell you that no amount of money spent on gear can make up for a total lack of any skill/talent using it. so have fun and learn as much as you can and get a style going for yourself.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Neither Porter nor Rankin really uses a tripod much, at least not at any of the races I've seen them filming at.
that's true but they also have years of practice. it's also easier to hold one of their larger prosumer cameras steady than it is to do so with a little consumer mini-dv. a tripod is something that doesnt hurt to invest in. you may find yourself using it less often as you get better at controling your shots but when you want a tripod, you NEED a tripod.