Quantcast

Alternative to Magura Suspension Blood???

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
In my downhill period I did all the basic maintenance to my forks myself. I now started XC'ing again, so I also wanted to do it to my Durin.

I read in the service manual that I should use magura suspension blood Type 5 for lubrication in the lower legs: http://www.support-english.magura.com/index.php?showtopic=654

On the magura forum they don't really wanna tell how thick the oil is, but it should be around SAE40, but isn't SAE40 motor oil? I found that SAE40 fork oil also exists but it will be used in very heavy choppers.

And another question is: how will motor oil react inside a fork, will it foam...?

I called with people from suspension lab (belgian fork repair center) and they told me they didn't know what thickness the Type 5 is, but it should be aroudn SAE15/20.

I know my boxxer WC needed SAE15 in the lowers for lubrication, but will it workn in a Durin?

any help?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Most forks require something between 5 and 15wt oil. I'm guessing magura 5 is 5 weight, but I'd give their service department a call on monday to make sure.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I can't make an assumption as to what the oil weight of the Mag5 oil is. What I can tell you is that using motor oil in your fork is a disaster waiting to happen. Motor oil can withstand higher temps, but does not contain the proper anti-foam additives.

Fork oil form your local Moto shop is relativly inexpensive ($3-$5 a quart) and works quite well. All my forks are running fork oil for moto's. You can always experiment. Try a 7wt, 10wt, 15wt fork oil and see which one you like.