Quantcast

Aluminum bolts

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Hey does anyone else here routinely strip the sh!t out of those low profile looking Hayes 5mm bolts ?

I just did something like my third bolt. So, now I have to have at it w/ the power tools...

Seems like i should replace them w/ steel. Or at least a better designed Aluminum bolt.

They just suck.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Make sure you do them in stainless steel then..

Becouse regular steel and alloy corrodes bad.. Galvanic currents.. The least pure metal "dissapears" ..

So do 'em in stainless.. or titanium or whatever ;)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
xy9ine said:
you talking about the torx disk bolts? they are steel. just get regular hex socket cap bolts to replace them (ie water bottle bolts).
those dont always clear (i think the rear has that issue). Either the heads need to be grounded down, or you can get button heads. Personally i never use anything lower than a 12.9 Grade bolt for anything. SS bolts are weaker and not as stiff (and stiffness is important in alot of bolt applications).

http://www.mcmaster-carr.com has a fine selection of blue (anti-oxidation) 12.9 grade metric bolts.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
gmac said:
Hey does anyone else here routinely strip the sh!t out of those low profile looking Hayes 5mm bolts ?

I just did something like my third bolt. So, now I have to have at it w/ the power tools...

Seems like i should replace them w/ steel. Or at least a better designed Aluminum bolt.

They just suck.

Actually they are made of mild steel which is pretty soft in any case..... I think most of the problems arise from the cheap little Torx tool needed to tighten these bolts.
I just use a Torx drill bit along with my cordless drill , makes the job so much quicker and easier.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I use the Park torx tool, it is like a t-handle allan wrench. The engagement is good and as you apply torque the shaft twists and the torsion action applies smooth steady torque to the bolt. they usually just come right out.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I had problems with the torx bolts too, so I tried buttonhead allen's instead, and they had the same problem. Then I figured out that normal allen's will work on my rear, so I'm running those. I still run the torx on the front. Just make sure you have a good torx wrench, use blue (not red loctite), use the little locking washer-things included with the stock bolts, and last but not least, stop changing your rotors so much! I remove mine once every 6 months or so when I service a hub or replace a wheel.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Good info on the torx bolts. But, I was refering to the hex bolts to mount the caliper.adapters... I'm hamfisted or something. Maybe my wreches are causing it :)

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
Ya I've done a few, so nice though when you replace with 12.9 . I know when a bolt head is about to go now so I replace them before they give me trouble.

gmac said:
Good info on the torx bolts. But, I was refering to the hex bolts to mount the caliper.adapters... I'm hamfisted or something. Maybe my wreches are causing it :)
The adapter bolts provided by Hayes suck. The edges of the socket that receives the Allen wrench are rounded and make it too easy to misalign the tool. A worn Allen wrench can make an already bad situation worse. Good bolts are, however, commonly available.

J

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
johnbryanpeters said:
The adapter bolts provided by Hayes suck. The edges of the socket that receives the Allen wrench are rounded and make it too easy to misalign the tool. A worn Allen wrench can make an already bad situation worse. Good bolts are, however, commonly available.

J
maybe my Purples had better bolt sets cus mine are great and have outlasted pe=retty much all the other kit.