Quantcast

Aluminum Vs. Carbon...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dunno, but I got a pinch flat on a rock a few days ago and had to walk out 5 miles. Tire pinched between rock and carbon rim. Carbon rim was fine.

The one carbon rim I cracked still held together well enough to ride 3 miles and then 7 miles of DH chunk after putting a tube in it. It did go "off" like a gunshot though when it happened.

This is one of those situations where your rim is toast anyway. It's going to eat through the tires if you can even true it.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yeah, I am hoping to get through the rest of the season with it. I might try to bend it back, but I am well aware that is a potential rim killer. Curiously, it is still round/mostly true.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Dunno, but I got a pinch flat on a rock a few days ago and had to walk out 5 miles..
this is what i love about (the price point of) alu rims. i'd never walk out with a flat. if the rim / tire has the audacity to flat on me, it gets punished for it's transgression, and gets ridden out.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Instead let's discuss what tire and pressure you use. I haven't had a flat or rim damage since switching to WTB Tough Casing and Maxxis Double Down tires and I run mid-20s. My feeling is regardless of material rims aren't designed to hit things (except THE Eliminator rims). Denting aluminum rims is part of the process of figuring out tires and pressures. Once you've got it figured out you can join the cheap, light rim club and get some China carbons. I like the ride feel better of light, stiff rims and heavy, damp tires and if you also have light hubs and spokes on that build the total weight stays the same as normal wheels with Exo tires.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Now for a wrench in the gears: if your tire was half filled with foam, there probably be no dent.
I'm a little foam-curious Matt. Do you run those inserts with Exo type tires or double up on the weight by combining them with Double Down type tires? It looks like the weight they add is about the same as the weight difference between trail and enduro tires.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm a little foam-curious Matt. Do you run those inserts with Exo type tires or double up on the weight by combining them with Double Down type tires? It looks like the weight they add is about the same as the weight difference between trail and enduro tires.
EXO. IME, the foam spreads out the load when impacting sharp objects and tires don't tear as easily. They also act as a bottom out bumper for the rim, which means you can run lighter rims without denting. Or, run the same rims as before, but no longer dent/break them, which has been what happened to me.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've posted this elsewhere, but I've seen a few people slash sidewalls running Cushcore. I don't think its a viable substitute for a decent sidewall at all, but just added protection to whatever you normally run. On the TransBC, there were so many Cushcore users fixing sidewall tears I actually began to wonder if it might somehow contribute to the sidewalls getting cut somehow? Unlikely, but either way I reckon I'd run Cushcore as an added layer of rim/puncture protection on the same tyre sidewalls I run now (DD for Enderpo)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've seen a lot of punctures and tares with people running CushCore. They seem to do more to save the rim than the tire. I'd recommend sticking with DD if your the type to get punctures.

Based on what I'm seeing from fast guys and my limited personal experience, the biggest advantage is that you can run a lower pressure without loosing all your sidewall support. Additionally, the foam will slightly improve the damping properties of your tires.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
this is what i love about (the price point of) alu rims. i'd never walk out with a flat. if the rim / tire has the audacity to flat on me, it gets punished for it's transgression, and gets ridden out.
This is the one I rode 10 miles DH on after the failure.
13718603_10100857682749088_7910199282811490263_n.jpg
13731701_10100857682818948_7744773363749731924_n.jpg

Last week we were just stupid and didn't bring any tools/tubes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
IMO, the best part about aluminium rims vs carbon rims is that they cost 1/4 of the price to replace when they die - and they all die.

Alloy rims have a better chance of being ridden out after a rim failure (but they're still going to be stuffed) and they're not $500 a rim so that's what I'm running for now

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
lol, that would mean you can get decent aluminum rims for $40.

Or are we still believing that we have to buy Envy stuff because it's expensive?
If you leave out the brand/bling factor, Alex Rims or Novatec stuff are in this price bubble and works as well as pricier options. Now if you want something to brag about at the trailhead and have the money to do it, go for it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you leave out the brand/bling factor, Alex Rims or Novatec stuff are in this price bubble and works as well as pricier options. Now if you want something to brag about at the trailhead and have the money to do it, go for it.
Doing a quick search, finding some skinnier and what appear to be non-tubeless Alex rims, not exactly what I was thinking. Some of the aluminum rims are kind of stupid expensive, but stuff like DT has always been reliable and good quality. Lets not forget if you do wreck one of those carbon rims, they do a crash-replacement discount, so again, I don't see the huge price difference, more like 2x, which is reasonable at this time I think.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Doing a quick search, finding some skinnier and what appear to be non-tubeless Alex rims, not exactly what I was thinking. Some of the aluminum rims are kind of stupid expensive, but stuff like DT has always been reliable and good quality. Lets not forget if you do wreck one of those carbon rims, they do a crash-replacement discount, so again, I don't see the huge price difference, more like 2x, which is reasonable at this time I think.
Try searching for the Volar 3.0, the3.5 or the cheaper MD30. Novatec has the Diablo rims, but they are harder to find.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol, that would mean you can get decent aluminum rims for $40.

Or are we still believing that we have to buy Envy stuff because it's expensive?
i dunno what carbon rims you’re running but i’ve beat the living shit out of my ex500s for probably 8 years. i picked up ex471s to build up for my nomad for $70 per rim. even “cheap” nexties are $180+ on ebay. i’ll take my chances.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i dunno what carbon rims you’re running but i’ve beat the living shit out of my ex500s for probably 8 years. i picked up ex471s to build up for my nomad for $70 per rim. even “cheap” nexties are $180+ on ebay. i’ll take my chances.
I've beat the living shit out of nexties for 5 or so years, have re-built the rim several times to re-purpose it from enduro/DH to XC and have done several endurance races on em. Even hit hard enough that I pinched a tire last weekend and didn't hurt my (other pair) nexties. Yeah, if you are getting new alu rims at $70, that's closer to half price (especially with crash-replacement) of what a decent carbon rim costs. Not 1/4. unless you need Envy to round out your dental accessories.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
plastic rims corner awesome but chatter my delicate little taint and arthritic wrists

I did ride a buddy's M90 dh wheels with dh tires and cushcore inserts. Was pleasantly surprised by how damp they felt but the whole wheel pair weighed about as much as my complete bike.