Quantcast

America Freedom to Fascism...

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
just try not paying your federal income tax and using that as a defense....

have fun in federal butt-pound prision.

:p!!!
Actually I saw a documentary that was about the income tax. Don't remember much of it (maybe I just saw a part of it) but it said you 'mericans don't have to pay it. It was in your constitution or something.

I will watch this. Thanks.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
so I only watched 5 minutes of the 1:50 long movie. Who wants to bring me up to speed about the movie?

Seems to me that Income tax is unconstitutional? Ok, then how do we fund govt projects?

The Fed Reserve is running by a few individuals? Ok, but then how do we fund projects, how do we control inflation, how do we maximize the multiplier effect with a static amount of currency?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I've only watched a few minutes my self, and it was probably this documentary that i refered to earlier but only saw a small bit of.

Lord Opie, there are still a lot of things that a government could tax. If I remember correctly this will be adressed pretty early in this documenatry. One thing that i can think of, from the top of my head, that is currently untaxed, is the all to little debated Tobin Tax, which is tax on international stock transactions (if I remember correctly, again).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've only watched a few minutes my self, and it was probably this documentary that i refered to earlier but only saw a small bit of.

Lord Opie, there are still a lot of things that a government could tax. If I remember correctly this will be adressed pretty early in this documenatry. One thing that i can think of, from the top of my head, that is currently untaxed, is the all to little debated Tobin Tax, which is tax on international stock transactions (if I remember correctly, again).
Right, there are other ways to pay taxes, but in the end, it's the people who fund the govt. So does it absolutely matter how the funds are generated?

I mean, I'm all for exploring a consumption tax, but the people still pay, right?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
so I only watched 5 minutes of the 1:50 long movie. Who wants to bring me up to speed about the movie?

Seems to me that Income tax is unconstitutional? Ok, then how do we fund govt projects?

The Fed Reserve is running by a few individuals? Ok, but then how do we fund projects, how do we control inflation, how do we maximize the multiplier effect with a static amount of currency?
if you watch till about the 30 minute mark youll see where they outline how our roads and infrastructure are funded. one of the ex-irs guys made a good point that they ran the government fine until 1913 without the federal income tax. the video is good after about the first 6 minutes it gets better.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Right, there are other ways to pay taxes, but in the end, it's the people who fund the govt. So does it absolutely matter how the funds are generated?

I mean, I'm all for exploring a consumption tax, but the people still pay, right?
right but his point is that we are being taxed to earn a wage which is a little rediculous. i mean i am paying to work. and further more if the government is supported by my living wages when can i write them off as dependants?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Tobin Taxes are excise taxes on cross-border currency transactions. They can be enacted by national legislatures, followed by multilateral cooperation for effective enforcement. The revenue should go to global priorities: basic environmental and human needs.
So who would manage the global tax? The United Nations?

So this tax has nothing to do with individual govts generating revenue for their own use.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
just try not paying your federal income tax and using that as a defense....

have fun in federal butt-pound prision.

:p!!!
have fun gettin the hell outta this thread. i wish for once in your life you would actually contribute to a thread.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
right but his point is that we are being taxed to earn a wage which is a little rediculous. i mean i am paying to work. and further more if the government is supported by my living wages when can i write them off as dependants?
Ok, so the system is flawed, but the video's first five minutes really turned me off with his "sky is falling" approach. It suggests that our enemy is our own govt, which is just retarded.

In the end, the govt needs money.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Ok, so the system is flawed, but the video's first five minutes really turned me off with his "sky is falling" approach. It suggests that our enemy is our own govt, which is just retarded.

they didnt until 1913 though?......seriously though the video gets much better.....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
that money can be allocated elsewhere though. i mean im paying a tax to be able to earn a wage so that i can buy taxed goods. it has bothered me all my life. i dont mean on the state level....just the federal.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
im not sure but i wish it wasnt from the money that i earn.
thing is, it is from the money you earn, regardless of the source.

If only corporations paid taxes, then the price of goods and services would go up... then you'd pay more for the same stuff.

Also, consider this... YOU are SELLING your service to a company. You're not being taxed for the right to work, but the work you sold.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i oppose consumption tax, on several grounds.
its mostly regressive.

then, given a high enough tax rate.. the economy will have a cash-only tax-free incentive... which will likely reduce deposits with all the problems that brings. evasion and fraud will skyrocket.

what kinda of sales tax could replace every other tax??? you could easily be breaking into the 20s%.. enforcing sales taxes is usually harder and more expensive than enforcing income taxes. unless you start monitoring purchases or money transfers or something like that, but then, you'd be collinding with privacy rights and stuff.

i pay 19% sales tax and up to 45% on certain items like gasoline.
obviously, its all about cash as often as possible here.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
im not sure but i wish it wasnt from the money that i earn.
Dont you think you ought to be sure of such a thing before taking the stance you have? You're opposed to something having no idea of the alternative.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
one of the ex-irs guys made a good point that they ran the government fine until 1913 without the federal income tax. the video is good after about the first 6 minutes it gets better.
Yeah, but the scope of government programs and social services has expanded since that time. Not to mention the amount of defense spending and the sophistication and related costs of our armed forces. There's a reason that the government needs more money than it did in previous centuries.

There is a middle ground that we should be looking for. We need the kind of social services that the government provides now that it did not in previous years, but there are obvious problems with government waste. Previous posters are right- the money has to come from somewhere.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i oppose consumption tax, on several grounds.
its mostly regressive.

then, given a high enough tax rate.. the economy will have a cash-only tax-free incentive... which will likely reduce deposits with all the problems that brings. evasion and fraud will skyrocket.

what kinda of sales tax could replace every other tax??? you could easily be breaking into the 20s%.. enforcing sales taxes is usually harder and more expensive than enforcing income taxes. unless you start monitoring purchases or money transfers or something like that, but then, you'd be collinding with privacy rights and stuff.

i pay 19% sales tax and up to 45% on certain items like gasoline.
obviously, its all about cash as often as possible here.
I was just referencing one kind of tax since we have to pay somehow. As for sales tax being the only tax, Florida's state govt is run strictly on sales tax, so it can be done.

Dont you think you ought to be sure of such a thing before taking the stance you have? You're opposed to something having no idea of the alternative.
That's just America for you.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...another thing to take into consideration is the profit that the US govt was making from simply either selling land for logging, mining, farming etc. to private entities for the exploitation of the vast natural resources this country once produced and the profits that came from thise. These days, we bring in most these things from other places and that source of revenue is no more.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
did i ever say i had a solution? nope. did i ever say i have any answers? nope. Am i sure i am tired of having my money taken for whatever reason? yep. A stance must begin somewhere and my stance however not providing of answers it may be is still my stance. When i do have all the answers you will certainly be the first to get the memo.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
did i ever say i had a solution? nope. did i ever say i have any answers? nope. Am i sure i am tired of having my money taken for whatever reason? yep. A stance must begin somewhere and my stance however not providing of answers it may be is still my stance. When i do have all the answers you will certainly be the first to get the memo.
What Im saying is that you're not taking the time to make a well-thought-out decision on a position, or at least, it doesnt seem so. Being taxed is the only real way for the govt. to get money anymore, so its a necessary evil. That's the reality of the situation. There arent any better answers than that. Of course, I agree that Id like to see the money better spent, but as it stands, I personally wouldnt mind being taxed a bit more if it were for a good cause. We actually have it pretty good, relatively speaking.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The solution to no taxes is allowing the govt to be involved in for-profit operations.

but allowing the govt to be fully invested in profit situations has far more scary implications than wasting your taxes.

But let's just make movies with inflammatory titles cuz that's effective.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In NZ, we have several 'state enterprises' - for example all the universities, polytechnics, the meteorological office and so on all are run as businesses and must make a profit or fail like a normal business but the government is the major shareholder. We still have to pay taxes but it works well for us.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin

You react strongly to this "sky is falling" because it is a VERY serious thing and because it is something that goes totaly against your current views of the situation. But seriously, you have to give them the chanse to explain their view even though its a wooping 110min long.
You know very well you can't judge it after 5min..

Also, consider this... YOU are SELLING your service to a company. You're not being taxed for the right to work, but the work you sold.
They explained this in the film. They used the word trading (our worktime for money).

Not to mention the amount of defense spending and the sophistication and related costs of our armed forces.
The most important reason not to pay federal income taxes, save lives!!!

There is a middle ground that we should be looking for. We need the kind of social services that the government provides now that it did not in previous years, but there are obvious problems with government waste. Previous posters are right- the money has to come from somewhere.
They adress this in the film, and I can tell you without giving you a direct example that most **** you need is paid through state taxes.

...another thing to take into consideration is the profit that the US govt was making from simply either selling land for logging, mining, farming etc. to private entities for the exploitation of the vast natural resources this country once produced and the profits that came from thise. These days, we bring in most these things from other places and that source of revenue is no more.
And another thing to take into consideration is the money the government (that means YOU) loose because it doesn't print and control the money. Interests have to be paid to the Federal Reserve Bank, which is privately owned by unknown banks/people!!!

Actually a big part of the financing could be done if the country owned the right to "create money out of nothing" which now the privately owned Federal Reserve does. The interests would go to the state who would not need to so high tax revenues as now (This was also in the film).

What Im saying is that you're not taking the time to make a well-thought-out decision on a position, or at least, it doesnt seem so. Being taxed is the only real way for the govt. to get money anymore, so its a necessary evil. That's the reality of the situation. There arent any better answers than that. Of course, I agree that Id like to see the money better spent, but as it stands, I personally wouldnt mind being taxed a bit more if it were for a good cause. We actually have it pretty good, relatively speaking.
Still, don't you think the government have to follow the law, in this case the constitution? There is no law that says that you have to pay a federal income tax. That is the law!
Several ex IRS agents are talking about this in the documentary.

The solution to no taxes is allowing the govt to be involved in for-profit operations.

but allowing the govt to be fully invested in profit situations has far more scary implications than wasting your taxes.
Don't fully understand what you mean by this, but as I pointed out above you taxpayers are missing out on the biggest means of income to a privately owned company.

But let's just make movies with inflammatory titles cuz that's effective.
The heavy title of the documentary gets adressed about 1,09h into the film!

I have only seen until 1,12,30 so I can't comment it all. All I can say it is really important to watch. Specialy for you US citizens. A lot of things that you think are, will be proven wrong.

And if you don't belive it will change your fundmental views on your society, please watch it so that this discussion can have some more substance. This thread is about this documentary..

Hope I don't come out as too much. I can't show the importance I feel this is in a better way.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
In NZ, we have several 'state enterprises' - for example all the universities, polytechnics, the meteorological office and so on all are run as businesses and must make a profit or fail like a normal business but the government is the major shareholder. We still have to pay taxes but it works well for us.
Hell yeah, governments can own businesses. The most profitable company in Sweden is a 100% state owned mining company.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hell yeah, governments can own businesses. The most profitable company in Sweden is a 100% state owned mining company.
US govt. for-profit compaines generally suck. For instance, Am-track has been in the red forever. Also, the US postal service is a bit profitable but not much. US logging/mining/drilling is all privately owned to my knowledge, and without further EXPANDING the government to include such enterprises there's no way to make that transition, and with the way US gov't programs work, I doubt they'd even be profitable enough to be worthwhile. Just my opinion.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
US govt. for-profit compaines generally suck. For instance, Am-track has been in the red forever. Also, the US postal service is a bit profitable but not much. US logging/mining/drilling is all privately owned to my knowledge, and without further EXPANDING the government to include such enterprises there's no way to make that transition, and with the way US gov't programs work, I doubt they'd even be profitable enough to be worthwhile. Just my opinion.
Same here, I just gave an example. Didn't know you had state owned for-profit companies in the US.
Profitability can be achieved through bigger influence for all workers in a company, and perhaps even a percentage of the profits. That's what I belive; Influence and Money are major factors for creativity.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the only way for our govt to be profitable in business would be through price-fixing, monopolistic, union-breaking methods.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
"Military men are just dumb stupid animals, to be used as pawns in foreign policy." -Henry Kissinger, Counsil on Foreign Relations

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
"Military men are just dumb stupid animals, to be used as pawns in foreign policy." -Henry Kissinger, Counsil on Foreign Relations
What does that have to do with anything? Are you taunting me:busted:

I been out a while.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
What does that have to do with anything? Are you taunting me:busted:

I been out a while.
Yes, I was trying to trigger you among others who serve/have served.
It is a quote from the documentary. This was a really good one as it began showing the US banking system and built it from there, showing how it all is about the money, all the way to world government.

The thread a while back about the New World Airport in Denver touched this subject as well. It was the best documentary I've seen on the subject! 1,45min long but sooo worth it.