Quantcast

American Flyer!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Did anyone else catch it on tv last night? I hadn't seen that move in ages and loved it as much as the first time. :thumb:

I like how some nobody (David) could come up and race in the same race as the world champions. ;)

Was that ever an actual race..."Hell of the West"?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
From what they show, it looks like a cool course. I don't think the Coors Classic is around anymore though.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Heidi said:
From what they show, it looks like a cool course. I don't think the Coors Classic is around anymore though.

Coors dropped that race back in the late 80s or early 90s. Wasn't "commercial" enough for them. :angry:

splat

Nam I am
It was a shame , because it was one hell of a race ! back in the 80's it was 17 stages used to start in San Fransico or LA, and would have lots of Mountain stages. ( this was also when the TDF was 26 stages )

In 1986 Was when The race was at its peak ( and I think that is when they took the footage for American flyer ) Started in San Fransico, with a Prolog TT up one of those hills. and then stage 1 did 2 laps Up and down the 7 bigg hill of San fransico , before going to Sacramento. and that year all the Big european CAme over to race in it , because the World Champioships were in Colorodo.

after Coors Dropped it it survived for one year as the Red Zinger Classic.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Yeah Morgul Bismark baby! :)

I ride that on a weekly basis. Just not the NINE laps the pros did in the Coors Classic. :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Squeak said:

I ride that on a weekly basis. Just not the NINE laps the pros did in the Coors Classic. :D
I'm confused, isn't M-B just north of you? And wasn't American Flyer race in Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction?

I haven't seen A.F. in years and I'm not very smart.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Squeak said:

Wuss.

Interesting...I got this message:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Bah humbug!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
LordOpie said:
I'm confused, isn't M-B just north of you? And wasn't American Flyer race in Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction?

I haven't seen A.F. in years and I'm not very smart.
The one race started right in front of Coors!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Heidi said:
The one race started right in front of Coors!!
oh, ok.

Interesting...I got this message:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Bah humbug!

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I saw that is was on but didn't wathc because I own it. I think the movie is good even though many think its bad. Its especialy great on dvd so you can pause it on the part where the girl takes off her sweat shirt and have no lines liek you do when you pause a vhs. oh yeah :p

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
i watched it even though i own it on dvd. it's the one movie kevin costner never mentions.
one year they started the coors classic in hawaii and then continued the race on the mainland.......i think that was one of the last years of the coors classic.