Quantcast

American Gangster

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Has anyone watched it. Is it worth full price or is it a straight DVD kind of thing

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
History Channel: Episode 1: Gangland: American Gangster

American Gangster is the story of Frank Lucas and Leroy “Nicky” Barnes - their rise from street punks to the top of New York’s 1970’s high-flying drug market. The two men were considered the drug czars of Harlem at the height of the drug-fueled decade. Lucas and his gang “The Country Boys” claim to have smuggled heroin from Asia in the caskets of fallen American soldiers. Barnes, the leader of a cartel of African-American drug dealers called “The Council,” made the cover of New York Times Magazine. The headline read “Mr. Untouchable.” President Carter was so incensed, he personally ordered the Attorney General to go after him. The story is a violent, action-filled chronicle of Harlem and its kingpins.
After seeing this on the History Channel, I had it see it. It's an awesome flick and Denzel is awesome. I like this role almost as much as his role in Training Day. He plays a wicked bad guy.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
good to know ive wanted to watch it but wasnt sure if it was worth the money. ill have to go watch it this friday since i have the day off.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Denzel Washington is one of those actors that just makes good movies. I was reluctant to watch Deja Vu and it was a great flick. Training day is one of my personal favs though, I watch it every time it's shown on cable.

His Monte in that flick is sweet too, along with the ghetto soundtrack.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I think you're full of sh!t, but I added it to the queue out of spite. :D

Each of his movies seem to turn out well, so who knows.
I can't remember how the acting is specifically (it's at worst, decent...Denzel is Denzel...bad ass...but the other characters...I don't remember) cause it's been about 5-6 years since I've seen it...but the ending is seriously worth it. Like I said...still gives me chills.