Quantcast

American vs Taiwan Chameleon

madfatter

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
This my first post here. I'm thinking about getting a Santa Cruz Chameleon for some all around riding; meaning fireroads up and the occasional singletrack down. I have the option of spending a little more and getting an older american made frame vs a Taiwan frame. The taiwans a better color and it's cheaper, so that is what I think I want to do but just wanna make sure that there's nothing too bad about this frame. I'm not a rough rider, have never really broke anything other than my tooth (and a somewhat dislocated jaw-couldn't eat for a week). Has anyone had any horrible experiences on one of these Taiwan models? or is it just hype?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you get to say your frame was made in the usa....but if it's older, uglier, and more expensive....it's probably not as "good".

I would get the us made one if it's new...but i'm weird.

/\/\att

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
burlington ct
Nothing bad about being made in other countries... Look at cars most over seas cars run better then american cars. It will still be a quality frame.

L

luelling

Tawain produces quality product....avoid China (it seems like they are still developing). I've had several bikes made out of country and I've never broken one and the welds are nice. If you are a stickler for American made then buy the older model, but if you want a quality bike at a good price buy the Tawainese model

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Taiwan doesn't use sweatshops/slave labor, in addition to the fact that most of the frames/parts coming out of our little island nation are higher quality than stuff built here.

China is sketchier. Please, think of your health. Don't ride a Chinese frame.

madfatter

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the help. I took one look at the bike and it looks fine. I'm pretty sure it's made in taiwan, but it doesn't have that sticker n the back of the seattube like the heckler...just as long as it's not made in China, right? I recently read an interview of the guys at Surly and they say the same thing, 'cause their frames are also made in Taiwan. I think it's just too damn expensive to hire quality aluminum TIG welders here. Anyways, here's the bike. Note the one thing that sucks, because of the horizontal dropouts (which I'll later use to run as singlespeed) I gotta remove the stinkin disk brake everytime I want to remove the wheel! I think I gotta go V-brake when singlespeed.chamelion 001.jpg

chamelion 002.jpg

scrider

Chimp
May 2, 2004
Phoenix
That frame is made in Taiwan(newer disk mount) , it realy doesn't matter it is a great frame. You do not have to remove the disk to get the wheel out. I 've had one for several years now, and new had any problems removing the wheel.
J

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
The Chameleon is one of my favorite all time hardtail frames...you are probably better of with the Tiawan one for a few reasons:

-Actual disc tabs (the older US frames had V-brake only, and if you wanted to run disc, you had to repalce the dropout that mounted the caliper below the chainstay).
-Gusseted headtube (stronger)
-larger seatube (stronger)
-Stiffer seatstay yoke

Downsides:
-a little heavier
-not made in the U.S.

That said, can you send me a link to the american frame that is for sale? :)

madfatter

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Well, actually, there is a store in Burbank that has the frame. Problem is that it's already assembled on a bike, so you have to pay them to strip the frame. It's at BicycleJohn's in Burbank, CA. Search the dealer directory on the Santa Cruz website.

Oh, and I hope scrider is right about not having to remove the disk to take off the back wheel. That would just make my day. I have visions of losing a washer somewhere on a trail and having my disk scrape all the way back to the car.