Quantcast

America's 10 Best Trails...repost?

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
It's pretty sad that I live about 15 minutes from Letchworth and haven't been there in about six years.:( :confused: I think I'll have to make that a priority this year. I've been in the mood for an epic.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I gotta agree with Downieville and Porcupine Rim, they both make my top 10.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would say that there are 10 trails in Colorado better than Tsali. Hell, probably in UT, WA, OR and CA too.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It makes my heart warm that Letchworth was picked to be in the top 10. I (and many others) pitched in hundreds of hours working on the trail there. It makes me feel even better riding it. A down and back is truly an amazing effort and I am proud to have down 2-3 a year for the last 6 years. It is a soul enriching experience.

jdcamb

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ya'll say tsali sucks cause it aint your type of riding. me personally i like going tou to tsali and hammerin out mile after mile of rippin fast single track. a lot of times i like it better than riding/pushing up miles of dirt roads eating the dust from trucks and tourists driving by just to get to a section of single track in pisgah. i mean sure technical tsali may not be, but it sure is fun.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Skookum said:
Interesting i had plans on riding 3 of those trails this year, McKenzie, Porcupine, and Fromme....
I'm not sure the McKenzie would be up to your standards. Beautiful lake, springs, waterfalls, river crossings, big blue pool, lava, trees and all that, but it's more of a long stroll with no real technical features [other than the lava.] It includes paved sections, gravel roads, and a half-mile of highway roadside riding. It does, however, end at hotsprings!
Any day on a bike is a good day, just don't expect too much is all I'm saying. The hype has gotten a little out of hand. Fun trail nonetheless. :cool:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I rode Tsali, it was fun.

I'd vote for the Kokopellies side of Fruita instead of the Bookcliffs...

The Kingdom trails in Vermont should have made that list... as well as the 401 in Butte

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I'm not sure the McKenzie would be up to your standards. Beautiful lake, springs, waterfalls, river crossings, big blue pool, lava, trees and all that, but it's more of a long stroll with no real technical features [other than the lava.] It includes paved sections, gravel roads, and a half-mile of highway roadside riding. It does, however, end at hotsprings!
Any day on a bike is a good day, just don't expect too much is all I'm saying. The hype has gotten a little out of hand. Fun trail nonetheless. :cool:
Every trail is my kinda trail.:) Seriously i imagine it's a super long version of a trail in the Olympics called Lower Big Quilcene. It's only 12 miles as an out and back, but would be more if a Wilderness boundary didn't cut it short.

i want to ride "Trail X" North Umpqua, Falls City, Post Canyon, and i have to get even with Timberline for breaking my leg too.:) Oh and i might swing by Bend if certain people invite me.:)

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
BuddhaRoadkill said:
My geography may be rusty. Did one them [North, Central, South] float back to Africa?
Central America isn't considered a continent as far as I know, just a region. The countries Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador ,Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama are on the NA continent, but as a whole are considered Central America. I think some people consider parts or all of Mexico in there as well.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
biggins said:
ya'll say tsali sucks cause it aint your type of riding. me personally i like going tou to tsali and hammerin out mile after mile of rippin fast single track. a lot of times i like it better than riding/pushing up miles of dirt roads eating the dust from trucks and tourists driving by just to get to a section of single track in pisgah. i mean sure technical tsali may not be, but it sure is fun.
Yeah, I have never not had a blast at Tsali. Then again, I love fast singletrack. Tsali would suck if you took some slow bit hit type bike up there and tried to haul it around. But on a hardtail or a low travel FS rig, its fun. But I used to ride that place all the time years ago.
Like in '96. I have heard it is more superhighway like now.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, I have never not had a blast at Tsali. Then again, I love fast singletrack. Tsali would suck if you took some slow bit hit type bike up there and tried to haul it around. But on a hardtail or a low travel FS rig, its fun. But I used to ride that place all the time years ago.
Like in '96. I have heard it is more superhighway like now.
We rode there in October and it was awesome. Wicked fast and flowy as hell. Tearing ass down County line was cool as sh!t. Though I'm surprised they listed them separately. Who would ride left without right.....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DRB said:
Who would ride left without right.....
Not Derek Zoolander that's for sure.

I used to ride the right loop and then go all the way back to the parking lot, and do the left. Instead of just going straight across from the right to the left. I like the left loop better that way.
I miss trailriding, this bikeless stuff is for the birds.:help:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BuddhaRoadkill said:
America is a continent foo'. Three of them to be precise.
Maybe you were thinking of M'erka? :p
Well, when you phrase it as "America", one would think "United States of..." (rather than North, South, Central).

I can think of at least 10 trails in North Van that would damn near top the list above most any trail in M'erka :D

Why stop at one?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Jeremy R said:

I used to ride the right loop and then go all the way back to the parking lot, and do the left. Instead of just going straight across from the right to the left. I like the left loop better that way.
Yeah that's definitely the best way to hit them. Left loop counterclockwise, right loop clockwise. It's hella cool brah.:cool:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Interesting i had plans on riding 3 of those trails this year, McKenzie, Porcupine, and Fromme....
Dude, let us know when you plan on hitting McKenzine. We are planning a trip down to OR. also. :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:

Bingo. Well that's not smart. How'd you get bikeless?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I used to ride my rigid steel gt at tsali and it was definitely not unfun.

About a year or two later I discovered pisgah (and suspension)..........wait........what's tsali?

The end of that mousy trail is fun......I think there's a root or something there. Berms are good.

edit: I've ridden 5 trails on that list........... yay

Skooks: mckenzie rules. realy purty