Quantcast

Amgen Tour of California

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
my mom wants to go to California this winter to see the last stage of this race; Amgen Tour of California Stage 8: Rancho Bernardo to Escondido

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/Route/stages/stage8.html

does anyone know of some good sources to find info about where to park/watch from? the 1st idea is to watch here at a climb. we would get to see them going slow and suffering. wed like to park along the road and walk up 2 miles to the switchbacks. then drive back to the finish and expo area before they loop around

is the course locked down before and after the riders come thru? or is there car traffic? if it is locked down, when do they start to let traffic thru?

what kind of parking is there at the expo? we wont mind running to the expo if its within 2 miles

my main concern is that we wont be able to leave the circled area until all bikers have doubled back, and then it will be hard to drive back to the expo area. can anyone recommend any other good spots to watch a tough climb so we get to see the riders when theyre slow? we dont mind getting there early and leaving late to get good spots. i do see a couple site viewing areas of the road on S Grade Road, tho we be trapped there til the race is over

many thanks, my mom is really excited about this. she was considering doing the breakaway.com trips but theyre $2000

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
I have worked at most of the major tours in the us for several years now and I can say that the course gets shut down directly in front of the race and re opened after the broom wagon rolls thru. When the race travels west on the 76 you should be able to go south towards Valley Center and leapfrog the peloton as they pass over the KOM at Cole Grade Rd.
Unfortunatelly the 76 is a highway and cars have to be parked well off of the road. the south grade has some turn offs you can prolly park in all the way up the hill. There are only a few and I suggest that you get up there as early as you can to get a spot. Here was my view for last years tour. I dont work with those guys (Mavic) anymore so this year I will be in a team car riding over Palomar

Attachments

Last edited:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have ridden up Palomar Mtn millions of times. Any of the switchbacks up it would be a great place to watch. As for getting there and parking....chaos.