Quantcast

And now.. without further ado.. my new bike!

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
All I'm waiting on is the Boone Chainrings to replace the crap shimano ones' and that's a month away.. so here it is... all finished as of today! :love:

just my luck that today is the first day of rain we've had in 140 days straight! Had the bike not been ready, the drought would have continued! :mumble:

more pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum39.html

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Weight 27.8lbs

6's in front as I ride in a very hilly area (1/2 mile down hill from my house to the trails) ... and I wanted max braking power.. the 6's are because going down the hill, the front wheel is doing most of the braking, as in with a car.

I was going to do 6's all around, but it really was just going to be extra weight if I had.

And what do you mean by "flats" .. UST?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ti22 said:
Weight 27.8lbs

6's in front as I ride in a very hilly area (1/2 mile down hill from my house to the trails) ... and I wanted max braking power.. the 6's are because going down the hill, the front wheel is doing most of the braking, as in with a car.

I was going to do 6's all around, but it really was just going to be extra weight if I had.

And what do you mean by "flats" .. UST?
6's are almost overkill on a DH bike. on an XC bike 4's are almost too much.

And you don't know what FLAT pedals are? Not clipped in?

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
chicodude said:
6's are almost overkill on a DH bike. on an XC bike 4's are almost too much.
I agree.. it was more because I just "wanted" to than "needed" to.. The whole bike is an excercise in that! :D

And you don't know what FLAT pedals are? Not clipped in?
I came up in the early 80's in BMX... I rode BMX for about 8 years and got pretty damn good at it... back then clip peddles were strictly for road bikes.. and even then only racers.. I never rode on them. We didn't call them "Flat", they were just peddles.

I got back into "biking" only last year with a used Trek, and took off the clip peddles and installed some "Flats" cause it's what knew... call it warm comfort, or the old familiar.. but It's how I like to ride! Just like computers, if you get out of this stuff for a short while, a lot changes, and this is why I'm frequenting the bike forums to learn more.. but that doesn't mean I'm going to change what makes me comfortable.

I use this bike 50% on road, and 50% off, so it's not like play by the rules with anything I do.. :looney:

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
the Inbred said:
****, man. that's nice.

is that a King Ti?
yes.. a bit of Ti prep, and it's a perfect match for my Ti frame.

is that rear end from Ventana?

yes, Moots buys them directly from Ventana.. it's the same as in the Salty.. 5" travel.. and minimal bobing..

what kind of grips are those?
Damn, I forgot now.. but they were only about $18... and I had some Pedro's on before, but I didn't like their texture, so I found these, and I liked their red color.. so I had them put on today. I've yet to ride with them..

I can't believe it's finally raining here in AZ! On the week my bike is ready! :redhot:

R

richcreek

i use disc brakes with 7 inch rotors on my xc bike and i use clip-ins

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ride what you like, but i assume after you go down those hills, you have to come back up.....riding flats you loose so much power, my vote is to get use to clip ins!

ps:nice rig, how much $ ?

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
douglas said:
ride what you like, but i assume after you go down those hills, you have to come back up.....riding flats you loose so much power, my vote is to get use to clip ins
we'll see, I may have a serious bike, but that doesn't mean I'm going to torture myself with steep hills :D Riding is for enjoyment for me, not competition.. those days are long gone! :nopity:

ps:nice rig, how much $ ?
all told, well north of $7K invested so far... including the Boone chainrings still forthcoming. :help:

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
indieboy said:
sorry, no chainrings are worth payin that much :/
the thing is a new set of Shimano's for that set which are total **** compared are only $40 cheaper! It's a no brainer for me, and I am blessed to have a decent budget for this bike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ti22 said:
the thing is a new set of Shimano's for that set which are total **** compared are only $40 cheaper! It's a no brainer for me, and I am blessed to have a decent budget for this bike.
With no shop hookups at all...ouch.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
blue said:
With no shop hookups at all...ouch.

I shop for good prices, and don't usually pay "retail" The frame and the wheelset were the only exception as Moots and I9 are VERY tight on that.. but most of my buildup was purchased at a good 20% off retail.... for example the brakes retail for a lot more than the $570 I paid for both set of two.. I also pay $60 to install them, but it was well worth it as I watched them face all of my bosses, align my rear end, true my discs and bleed the brakes... heck, if this were a car, it would have been 3 times that for the same time spent!

bikes are a lot of bang for the buck if you ask me.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Ti22 said:
tears of joy or sadness and disgust? :confused: :think: :)
cry in sadness. no, it would only be in disgust if it was that beautiful frame with a super monster or something outrageous on it. try clipless pedals, they take time to get used to but they are totally worth it for xc. and you will probably learn that the brakes are overkill. but its not my build so i cant dictate what you buy and what you dont buy.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
gnurider1080 said:
cry in sadness. no, it would only be in disgust if it was that beautiful frame with a super monster or something outrageous on it. try clipless pedals, they take time to get used to but they are totally worth it for xc. and you will probably learn that the brakes are overkill. but its not my build so i cant dictate what you buy and what you dont buy.

I will try the clipless at some point for sure... but I'm curious about something.. why do they still produce normal pedals if everyone is riding clipless? :confused:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Not even going to bother with the clipless vs flat debate. You need clipless.

Very nice bike. Surprised it weighs what it does. Lose those pedals and it'll weigh less too.

(I hope this bike gets ridden at all. I suspect it might not.)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ti22 said:
I will try the clipless at some point for sure... but I'm curious about something.. why do they still produce normal pedals if everyone is riding clipless? :confused:

Most people use flats for Downhill/Dirtjumping/urban. Its your deal, but you could loss some wieght going to a nice light clipless pedal. You get get EVEN MORE ti on you're bikey :clue: :weee:

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'll look into a set... but I do like to ride BMX style with it, it's what I did for years as a kid and into my teens.... that's actually what I did today at the local makeshift Motorcross track... lots of nice jumps.. And then when I was done, I was able to get up my daunting hill home after all of that without walking the bike.

Bottom line, I got this to get in shape... I've gained 30 lbs in the last 5 years, and that's got to stop!

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
sinisteridge said:
its really like freeridish with the I9's, the M6's, 50/50'ss and such.
a natural evolution for me as a former BMXer, now if I can just remember all of those tricks and techniques without breaking any bones! :help:

J

JRB

madbob kicks lots of people's asses, including me, on a bighit with a shiver riding flat pedals.

Nice bike. I would be terrified to ride a moots though. I would break that, but it's not mine, so no worries.

That said - beatiful bike.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
blue said:
I was gonna say...50/50s? whtf?
nothing wrong with that!! Not everyone runs clips - I for one use flats even on my road bike!

I did use clips in the past when I raced XC, but I simply do not like em'. And honestly I think I'm a more efficient pedaller on flats than on clips - I can do long sustain climbs and tackle any techie section.

all you guys giving Ti22 a hard time about flats sound like the stereotypical XC/Roadie geek...

BTW sic bike!! :drool:

J

JRB

I, for one, have reaped the benefits of Luc not liking Time pedals. :thumb: Thanks, Luc.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I will get a set of clipless and try them, but after at 36 years old, Its going to be hard to get adjusted to a totally new thing like that.. The only bonus is if I can get up the hills that much easier, like some of you claim.. it makes sense as you can pull up on the one leg and push down on the other... but what do you do if you want to step off your bike for a break or something? Do you crunch your clip on the bottom of your shoe??

J

JRB

Clipless is second nature after a short bit Ti22. I don't even think about it.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Ok so here is the next obvious question, which brand / model should I get if I want to keep with the "Spare no expense" build of this bike?

And also which shoe?

only rule is that it can't be made in China