Quantcast

And so it begins...

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
My first 24 hour race of the season is this coming weekend - and the forecast looks like rain:rolleyes:

Wish me luck!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, just stay off the brakes!!! use your weight to guide you my friend.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Thanks guys! Should be a good race - there are 5 solo women, all with unique strengths and experience; I think basically we're all at about the same level, so should be exciting:D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Tammy, at 3:00 when it's really cold out, think of all of us monkeys sitting around a fire chanting, "Tammy, Tammy, Tammy.":D Best of luck! Go knock em dead!

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by Heidi
Tammy, at 3:00 when it's really cold out, think of all of us monkeys sitting around a fire chanting, "Tammy, Tammy, Tammy.":D Best of luck! Go knock em dead!
Hey, I'll do that:monkey:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
If it makes you feel any better, I have a 30 mile race on Sunday.:D Oh, and it looks like gloomy weather for that too. So, I will be thinking of you. Are you wearing all the leopard getup? That's my favorite.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Good luck girl we'll be rooting for ya! Where is this one? It seems so early in the season for a 24 hr race... is that the norm?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by JOJO
Good luck girl we'll be rooting for ya! Where is this one? It seems so early in the season for a 24 hr race... is that the norm?
Thanks! It's in Danbury, NC. And yes, it's a little early for me, but the 24 hour season is usually pretty long; I just don't normally get to the first ones:D

And Heidi - as far as the leopardskin, well you just never know:eek: I'll try to get some pics...

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by tammy

Thanks! It's in Danbury, NC. And yes, it's a little early for me, but the 24 hour season is usually pretty long; I just don't normally get to the first ones:D

And Heidi - as far as the leopardskin, well you just never know:eek: I'll try to get some pics...
At least it is close to home. Not like when you hopefully come to GA.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Yah, 24 Hour races are pretty much every weekend now. We'll find a good one for you JOJO.;)

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by Yossarian

At least it is close to home. Not like when you hopefully come to GA.
Yeah, that's true:) We'll have to see how this race goes before I send in my entry for GA - may have to beef up the training, since Kerry's pretty tough lately:eek:

BTW, thanks so much for running defence for me this morning - I really didn't need that junk right before this weekend:rolleyes: :(

You're the best - and quite eloquent, too, I might add:cool:

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001

Yeah, that's true:) We'll have to see how this race goes before I send in my entry for GA - may have to beef up the training, since Kerry's pretty tough lately:eek:

BTW, thanks so much for running defence for me this morning - I really didn't need that junk right before this weekend:rolleyes: :(

You're the best - and quite eloquent, too, I might add:cool:
Thank you, sometimes the ignorant redneck takes the back seat.
It was my pleasure, anyway.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi

Yah, 24 Hour races are pretty much every weekend now. We'll find a good one for you JOJO.;)
Ooooh I cant wait:rolleyes: hehe

I really am psyched about doing a 24hr race but I have NO lights yet...... oh welll there is time...:)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

I really am psyched about doing a 24hr race but I have NO lights yet...... oh welll there is time...:)
Are you doing the Winter Park one?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
I'm feeling less worried now and more psyched - I wanna win this thing for you guys, now, as well as for myself (well, for the $$$$ and the Worlds qualifying, too):D :D :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
good luck tammy! some ppl were trying to talk me into coming up for the race, but i told themthat i wasn't gonna do it b/c of all the big races in the next few weeks.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia

I really am psyched about doing a 24hr race but I have NO lights

Here some info on some light for sale at performance, I ;ve used ,mine half a dozen times and they work great. Another nice thing is Batteries only cost $45.00. I'm going to get to extra batties for my 12 hour race next month.

yCygoLite Night Explorer Headlight System
Sale Price:$109.99 $89.99 (That's 18% Off!)
Item #40-1035C
In Stock

Get a full 25 watts of light power at an incredibly affordable price! This performance-oriented dual beam headlight system provides three beam patterns: 15w narrow, 10w wide, 25w combined. Includes NiCad water bottle, low-profile aluminum cast housing, quick-release handlebar mount with side-to-side swivel for excellent peripheral vision, battery charger. Runtime: 3 hrs. single beam, 1.5 hrs. dual-beam. System wt: 918g.

et...... oh welll there is time...:)

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost

I heard about the race. Sorry it didn't go too well.
Yoss, thanks again for your offer to support me this October in GA, but it looks like I won't be needing it. Also, please give all my best to Kerry for a successful race at Conyers this year, as I have officially retired, and won't be able to be there to tell her in person myself.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost

Please say it isn't so.
:confused:
Sorry, Yoss, but it's true. Here's a synopsis of my reasoning behind this decision. I hope you understand how much courage it's taking me to publicly post this:(

I had basically decided to retire at GA this fall anyway, but I had to accept the reality this weekend that I'm just not cut out for this. I was actually too embarrassed and ashamed to even wear my team jersey as the evening wore on, so just wore my plain everyday clothes to finish out the race. After 40+ races throughout my "career", with over 30 last place finishes (yes, that's right - check my resume), I'm simply exhausted from putting on that fake brave smile, acting like it doesn't bother me that I'm in last place, pretending to joke about being last, etc. I have to accept that it DOES bother me knowing that my lap times are significantly slower than everyone else in the race (trust me on this, I check them in the results from every race, and mine are consistently much slower than everyone; teams, solos, duos, everyone). At every race, I've been the last one through the transition zone after the run, the last person in from the first lap, etc. I'm not a fast or technical rider, and I think my purpose in doing these races has been accomplished, that being to show riders who suck that even they can compete and finish these events, not win, mind you, but at least finish. I apologize if I sound bitter - I'm really not. I think I'm just more discouraged to find that I'm so poor at doing something that I love so much. Don't worry, though, I'm not giving up riding for pleasure; that is still something that feeds my soul.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia

Sorry, Yoss, but it's true. Here's a synopsis of my reasoning behind this decision. I hope you understand how much courage it's taking me to publicly post this:(

I had basically decided to retire at GA this fall anyway, but I had to accept the reality this weekend that I'm just not cut out for this. I was actually too embarrassed and ashamed to even wear my team jersey as the evening wore on, so just wore my plain everyday clothes to finish out the race. After 40+ races throughout my "career", with over 30 last place finishes (yes, that's right - check my resume), I'm simply exhausted from putting on that fake brave smile, acting like it doesn't bother me that I'm in last place, pretending to joke about being last, etc. I have to accept that it DOES bother me knowing that my lap times are significantly slower than everyone else in the race (trust me on this, I check them in the results from every race, and mine are consistently much slower than everyone; teams, solos, duos, everyone). At every race, I've been the last one through the transition zone after the run, the last person in from the first lap, etc. I'm not a fast or technical rider, and I think my purpose in doing these races has been accomplished, that being to show riders who suck that even they can compete and finish these events, not win, mind you, but at least finish. I apologize if I sound bitter - I'm really not. I think I'm just more discouraged to find that I'm so poor at doing something that I love so much. Don't worry, though, I'm not giving up riding for pleasure; that is still something that feeds my soul.

Tammy, the fact that you kept racing all those races despite of how you finished truly show's that you are a winner were it really counts. Especailly in today's world where 95% of people sit on they butts and just watch.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Yea Tammy. P-O spelled it all out for me, too. There is no shame or humiliation in what you are doing. I say Kudos to you for even having 30 races on your resume. I don't like racing my mtn bike, period. I have been riding for 11 years and have 3 races. I just don't enjoy it. I am going to miss you in GA. Maybe you me & PO could team up for Conyers, and drink a beer a lap or something.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
whaooooooooo that is harsh. i'm extremely sorry to hear that you've decided not to race anymore. hopefully i will get to see you and P-O at some race if you are coming out to watch or at some ride some time.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by indieboy
whaooooooooo that is harsh. i'm extremely sorry to hear that you've decided not to race anymore. hopefully i will get to see you and P-O at some race if you are coming out to watch or at some ride some time.
Hey Indie - don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to see you race in the near future;)

BTW, your teammate, Kerry Combs, is an absolute treasure! Got to spend a good bit of time talking with her this past weekend, and she is just a joy to be around.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by mikec918

Tammy, the fact that you kept racing all those races despite of how you finished truly show's that you are a winner were it really counts. Especailly in today's world where 95% of people sit on they butts and just watch.

Ditto Ditto Ditto!!!!:D couldnt have said it better myself! Hang in there girl we all know how tough you are:D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

BTW, your teammate, Kerry Combs, is an absolute treasure! Got to spend a good bit of time talking with her this past weekend, and she is just a joy to be around.
hey tammy - i saw your earlier reference to a "kerry" and figured it might be kerry combs you are referring to. i know kerry fairly well, and my wife did a 24 hr race w/ her a few years ago. we still ride together from time to time (having 2 young kids has effectively put my wife's riding career on suspension...).

small world. :)

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by narlus

hey tammy - i saw your earlier reference to a "kerry" and figured it might be kerry combs you are referring to. i know kerry fairly well, and my wife did a 24 hr race w/ her a few years ago. we still ride together from time to time (having 2 young kids has effectively put my wife's riding career on suspension...).

small world. :)
Yah, Kerry is something else. She's one of the strongest endurance riders I know. Plus, she is so sweet. She even stopped during one of her laps to help me out because my thighs were so cramped up, I could barely walk. Then after we completed that lap, she came over to my campsite and massaged my legs (she's a massage therapist-in-training right now), and gave me some electrolytes and nutrition/hydration advice. I give her most of the credit for my even being able to finish that race. Independent Fabrications should be very proud to have her on their team:)

BTW, in GA there is another Kerry - Kerry Meyers - another very good endurance rider who is also a delight to race with...

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
I know you feel discouraged Tammy but you are an absolute inspiration to me (and many others on RM I have no doubt). 30 races and solo 24 hours! That's just HUGE!!! I'm 9 years into cycling and I'm finally doing my first official race (Laguna Seca 24 Hr.) next month. It would be an absolute honor for me to ride with you (and P-0 and Yoss) someday. Most people can't even conceive of what you did last weekend.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

Yah, Kerry is something else. She's one of the strongest endurance riders I know. Plus, she is so sweet. She even stopped during one of her laps to help me out because my thighs were so cramped up, I could barely walk. Then after we completed that lap, she came over to my campsite and massaged my legs (she's a massage therapist-in-training right now), and gave me some electrolytes and nutrition/hydration advice. I give her most of the credit for my even being able to finish that race. Independent Fabrications should be very proud to have her on their team:)

BTW, in GA there is another Kerry - Kerry Meyers - another very good endurance rider who is also a delight to race with...
yeah kerry combs from the few emails i've gotten from her seems like a really great person. i got to meet her at the 24 hours of conyers and she was doing pretty damn well. and yeah kerry meyers is a verrrrrrrry sweet person who i've known for a long time. i think she'll be at the 24 hours of conyers. i might come out just to watch, we'll see.

RayBan

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Illinois
Tammy, I've raced a lot in past years, and I have had a decent amount of success at that. But I have to tell you that I think it's the love of doing it that makes it worth it. I can't tell you how many times I've been to a race and I seen somebody that didn't have a chance of winning yet showed up at every event. THATS the spirit of competition. It's the "Love of the Game". I hope your stopping for all the right reasons. I really admire the fact (by seeing the race history youve shared) that you have done so many events. Do it for the love of it :)