AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
2024 Appalachian Trail Thru Hike

Day 1 4/17

7.3 miles

Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain campsite

This time I decided to skip the Approach Trail and start at Springer Mountain. My shuttle driver was the same guy as last year and was fun to talk to. He first took me to the visitor center at Amicalola Falls State Park to get checked in and get the hang tag that designates me as a thru hiker. From there it was an hour long drive up a forest road to the parking lot.

The Southern Terminus of the trail is one mile north. So you have to hike up to it, turn right around and start the hike. There was no one else up top. And I suck at selfies. But did stop to get a snappy of the biggest Timber Rattlesnake that I’ve ever seen. At five feet long and 2.75” dia. I let him take his time crossing the trail.

Hiked to Hawk Mountain Campsite which was only 7.3 miles. Was going to head a little further up trail and camp on a mountain top but didn’t want to be up there during a thunderstorm. At 2:38 it started raining so I found a tent pad and pitched my troubled tent in the rain. Way too early to be stopping for the day. However I have been having sleep problems all week and I wound up taking a nap. Some water got into the tent but wasn’t terrible.

When I was laying in the tent at dusk I got to hear two of my favorite sounds out here on the first night. A Great Barred Owl greeted us and some coyotes were howling and yelping. So comforting.

IMG_3170.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3172.jpeg

IMG_3178.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3175.jpeg

Help Angry hike the AT
paypal.me/angrymetalsmith
Venmo @AngryMetalsmith 4841

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 2 4/18

14.1 miles

Hawk Mountain campsite to Big Cedar Ledges

Decided I wanted to camp on top of a mountain so I could watch the sunset and sunrise. Got to an unofficial campsite and set up camp by myself. Sat on a huge rock ledge and ate dinner to a rather pleasant view. I knew there was a slight chance of rain in the morning but it was supposed to be over by 5:00. I set my alarm for 5:30 so I could get up early and get to Neels Gap for the first resupply. Got up to get my food bag and pee as it started to rain. Still completely dark out. By the time I got back into my tent the bottom dropped out and I was getting pounded by a thunderstorm directly overhead. Some of the loudest thunder I’ve experienced for sure. There wasn’t much I could do. I had the rain fly as close to the ground as possible but still not enough to block splashing. Put everything I could into bags and went back to sleep for 2.5 hours. While the rest was welcome the end result was not. My sleeping bag foot box got very wet and my sleep pad and pillow were wet as well. Each time I get rained on in that tent it gets worse, ugh.

As I was packing up there were two other hikers who asked me how I was. Not good was my reply. They were pretty cool and invited me to hike into Neels Gap with them. They are Daytona Mike, an ex army dude that reminds me of @jimmydean and Eli, a network engineer. He doesn’t have a trail name yet, but we’re working on it.

At Neels Gap is Mountain Crossings, an over the top hiking store that sells almost everything and has a hostel. We did our resupply, laundry and took showers. Everyone sleeps in a bunk room.

IMG_3180.jpeg

IMG_3181.jpeg

IMG_3184.jpeg

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3188.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 3 4/19

9.8 miles

Big Cedar Ledges to Neels Gap

Hiked with Daytona Mike and Eli into Neels Gap. I neglected to bring sunscreen with me because I thought there would be more foliage to provide shade. And it’s been hot and sunny. Picked up some at Mountain Crossings. Mosquitoes are surprisingly bad this April so I’m also covered in bites. Checked out what the outfitter had for tents and it was mainly the big box brands that are two pounds heavier and not much cheaper than the spendy cottage ones.

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 4 4/20

6.9 miles

Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap

There was a huge storm predicted to hit sometime that night or in the morning. Supposed to drop down to the 50s in the day with 100% chance of rain and high winds. This drove a lot of hiker off trail making finding a room in a hostel impossible. My two new friends had already reserved space in a hostel days prior. I hiked with them in the hopes that I could hitch a ride with their shuttle driver. While there were no vacancies at his hostel the driver/owner dropped me off at the Holiday Inn in Hiawassee. They of course had rooms, $225 with hiker discount. Yikes, but I was just glad to be out of the inbound storm.
We all met up for an early dinner at the local Mexican restaurant which is really good and I have looked forward to eating there since last year.

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3213.jpeg

IMG_3214.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn who's sunburn is that? That's gotta suck having to move around that on your neck..

Thank you for the pictures. Hopefully your tent situation gets sorted.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 5 4/21

0 miles

Zero at Hiawassee

Took a zero to deal with my shit and stay out of the cold rain. Went to the local outfitter to get some Nikwax waterproofing spray to fix my rain jacket that I got last July. Never had the thing in rain and the first time it wetted out while I was pitching my tent. Not even a year old. So frustrating. The Nikwax seems to have done the trick though.

It took a long time for me to reach a decision about my tent. While I could have gotten by with a Nemo or Big Agnes I would have to take the time to learn and deal with a new style of tent and possibly seam seal it as well. Your pack is like a puzzle and if you change one thing it can throw everything else off. I have no idea where I would put some of the parts. I would also have to carry a ground sheet as well. Free standing tents tend to be a couple of pounds heavier than trekking pole tents.

Having to dip significantly into my monthly budget to replace my tent is obviously not ideal and I worry it could impact my ability to complete the trail. But I can’t hike on this demanding and unforgiving terrain unless I have 100% confidence in my equipment.

Ordered the new tent and am having it shipped up trail and hopefully I will get it Friday when I get to Franklin, NC. There isn’t any rain in the forecast for this week (so far) but is going to get into the 30s at night.

This week has been exhausting. Getting everything ready, driving down here, dealing with rain and wet gear had caused me to lose a lot of sleep. But I did get some well needed rest while here.

Tomorrow I head back with Daytona Mike and Eli.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
@AngryMetalsmith might have missed a gear thread somewhere, but what tent did you have and what one are you getting?

edit: nevermind on which one you have - I was searching and finally scrolled back enough to find your link here. Are you going with a replacement of the same Tarptent despite its short life?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@AngryMetalsmith might have missed a gear thread somewhere, but what tent did you have and what one are you getting?

edit: nevermind on which one you have - I was searching and finally scrolled back enough to find your link here. Are you going with a replacement of the same Tarptent despite its short life?
No, going with a Durston X-Mid Pro 2. Woven floor.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

looks like a better tent, I hope that solves the problem.

jumpr

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011

Good luck on the Trail! I enjoyed the updates you provided on your first expedition. Also looking at a Durston for some backpacking adventures down here in New Zealand, so will be following with interest.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
914 Canuckistani Pesos for that tent and they don't even give you poles?:eek:
Mountain Bikes and Technical Hiking/Camping gear for hobbies.
Did you perhaps change your profession to Dentistry? :D

After over a dozen years, I have to replace a couple of my tents and about had a heart attack to see how crappy a lot of them are and how much they want them. I mean come on. Designs that drip water from the fly into the tent interior when you open a door? I thought we would be well past that crap by now, but no...it is like mountain bike suspension...as soon as things start to get half decent it is time to reinvent the wheel and around and around we go.

Good luck on your journey man. Hope this year works out better.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
BUY THIS!

That sunburn is bad! I have been rocking these hooded sun shirts on rides they fit under my hood. I'm riding 100*+ days and they're nice even when it's in the 50s. Sunblock free except the face which I use this stuff because it's mineral it doesn't hurt my eyes. It's also easier to wash than the chemical sunblock.

This thread will be exciting to watch.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use th
BUY THIS!

That sunburn is bad! I have been rocking these hooded sun shirts on rides they fit under my hood. I'm riding 100*+ days and they're nice even when it's in the 50s. Sunblock free except the face which I use this stuff because it's mineral it doesn't hurt my eyes. It's also easier to wash than the chemical sunblock.

This thread will be exciting to watch.

Those are my favorite winter layers

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 6 4/22

12.1 miles

Hogpen Gap to Blue Mountain Shelter

Got back on trail with the two guys I’ve been hiking with since last Friday. Started off in the high 30s or low 40s but warmed up to the 60s. The leaves at higher elevations are still not out yet and the ground cover is just starting to pop. So nice to be up here in early spring. Was a good day.

Got plenty of rest the previous two nights and taking a zero to deal with the tent and other things did a lot to alleviate stress. Felt way better mentally than in the beginning. The week that I left for Georgia really took its toll on me. Wasn’t sleeping, running around in frenzy, driving five hours then starting a five month long hike made me feel disorganized and stressed out. Adding a failing tent and thunderstorms to the mix was icing on the cake as they say.

Got my tent ordered and sent an email to the company explaining my situation and if there was anything they could do to get it to me in Franklin by Friday. Left my phone number since cel coverage is poor and texting would be the best way to reach me. Before I went to bed I got an email from the owner letting me now they had my back. The tent got there today. Kudos to Dan Durston of durstongear.com.

IMG_3231.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg