Quantcast

angry parents

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
my parents have always given me a hard time when i wanted to do something new. First it was getting goats, both of my parents are city raised and said no at first but then go used to the idea and said ok. Then it was biking, and then it was downhill. They were all worried i would get hurt ect ect. They care about me but just give me a hard time when i want to try something new. Well a month ago i went to my friends house and we rode his dirtbike, my mom freaked. My buddy called me the other day said he was selling it. He gave me a good deal and i jumped on it. Both my parents said no but I see it as; i worked for the money i can spend the money. Well i got the bike yesterday and rode it today. My mom called my friend and told him to take the bike back. She is really mad now. Sorry just had to vent.

ps riding dirtbikes is a lot of fun. im still going to ride mountain bikes but not downhill.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's not your money to spend as you wish until you are paying your way 100%. Including rent and food.

That said, parents are being helicopters if a kid does have at least 1 broken arm in their life.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Just be safe and sensible about it, but don't be a dick to your parents.

If my son wants one and pays for it, so be it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is hard to believe you are 17.

Put it this way. Let's say you hurt yourself on the motorcycle. Would you feed and bathe yourself while you were on disability? Or would your mommy do that for you?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It is hard to believe you are 17.

Put it this way. Let's say you hurt yourself on the motorcycle. Would you feed and bathe yourself while you were on disability? Or would your mommy do that for you?
:stupid:

Are you going to flip for the hospital bills when you break your arm? Health care isn't cheap these days and I doubt you could afford it, I don't blame your parents.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Dude, as a father myself, let me give you a little insight.

Didn't you know that parent's only dreams and wishes are to make your life as miserable as possible? We don't really have a vested interest in your future and your physical well being. C'mon, i mean really, why would they? I don't personally know you, but I'm sure you're a responsible guy. You've probably never wrecked a car, gotten banned from a bike park or otherwise acted irresponsibly, right?

Respect, responsibility, and accountability earns you adult treatment and garners respect for decisions you make.

If you had gotten an estimate for insurance for that dirt bike, as well as a proposal for you to cover a portion of your health insurance, then approached your parents in a business-like adult manner, instead of just disregarding their wishes with the "it's my money" attitude, it might have gone different. Too bad they don't use the "it's my money" attitude with you regarding housing, food, clothing, etc.

Enough of my lecture, go ride your dirt bike and be careful.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
respect your parents.
when you are an adult and move out of their home, you can do whatever you wish.
:imstupid:

maybe instead of spending money on things like that you should be saving it for your own place?
It's not your money to spend as you wish until you are paying your way 100%. Including rent and food.

All three of these are very correct. Sorry kid, but if you live with mom and dad, then you should follow there rules, or else on day you will find yourself out on your ass. If my kid disrespected my wishes living at home, and he was 17, he/she would get a chance to correct there disrespect by selling said Motorcycle<since this is the topic I will use it for an example> or On there 18th birthday they would be finding there own place to live. It wouldnt be a suprise either, It would be"Untill the Dirtbike is gone, plan on getting your own home and move your ass out when you hit 18"

You should respect your parents wishes, its a real slap in the face to them when they pay for your food, the roof over your head, and your insurance when you full on disobey there wishes.

Now with all that said, My kids<If I ever have any> will be on two wheels as soon as they can throw a leg over it!!! And will get something with a motor by 7 at the latest!!!!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
why do all most posts about PSP killing himself through stupidity keep disappearing??

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
If you have any money left over after buying the bike for so cheap (you got a "deal" right?) I think you should go buy as much wood as you can get your hands on and build a really, really, really big ramp...

JMHO.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i had a big long response typed up but then my internet went out so im just going to say it in as little words as possible. shut the fvck up and listent to your parents. also stay there as long as you can. its free

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Cost of dirt bike: $200
Cost of gas: $4/gallon
Cost of insurance for a 17 year year old with your track record: $1,478/month

Then there are the add ons that you didn't think about when you bought it and got kicked out:

Rent: $800
Food: $300
Utilities: $200
Rental insurance: $100

Cost of figuring out that you are only 17 and 1000% less mature than you originally thought: PRICELESS

If you believe your parents are wrong, move out. Otherwise STFU because you have a 1 sided argument. They are really jerks for giving you 17 years of food and roof, aren't they??

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Funny, my parents would not have gone throught the trouble of yelling or making phone calls. If I had asked and they said no, and then I went and did it my dad would simply have taken the bike and removed it from his property, probably to the detriment of the bike.

Your parents seem pretty easy going.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Until this thread I had forgotten how much I was an exception to the rule when I was growing up. I always respected my parents and only once did I not obey their wishes. When I did that my mother did not look at me for a week.
What did respecting and obeying them give? In one word, everything.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Until this thread I had forgotten how much I was an exception to the rule when I was growing up. I always respected my parents and only once did I not obey their wishes. When I did that my mother did not look at me for a week.
What did respecting and obeying them give? In one word, everything.
In another word: Trust.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
my parents have always given me a hard time when i wanted to do something new. First it was getting goats, both of my parents are city raised and said no at first but then go used to the idea and said ok. Then it was biking, and then it was downhill. They were all worried i would get hurt ect ect. They care about me but just give me a hard time when i want to try something new. Well a month ago i went to my friends house and we rode his dirtbike, my mom freaked. My buddy called me the other day said he was selling it. He gave me a good deal and i jumped on it. Both my parents said no but I see it as; i worked for the money i can spend the money. Well i got the bike yesterday and rode it today. My mom called my friend and told him to take the bike back. She is really mad now. Sorry just had to vent.

ps riding dirtbikes is a lot of fun. im still going to ride mountain bikes but not downhill.
Its your money, but you live under THEIR roof. Ain't it a b!tch. You'll appreciate and come to understand your parents reasoning one day.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Just kill them when they're sleeping. That'll teach them...

You can still surf the 'Monkey when in prison, too.