Quantcast

Ankles! Fml

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Apparently I have the ankles of an 11 year old girl and I rolled the $hit out of one for about the third time in two months. Does anyone else have crap for ankles? Anyone ride with a special brace or some other kind of remedy. I'm 25...I guess I need to spend more time really stretching before I ride. Any tricks for healing outside of standard ice and heat treatment? Stretching suggestions? Everytime this happens i'm off the bike for about 1-2 weeks and after that point I'm riding conservative for another 1-2 weeks. I know it could be worse for sure and I am thankful thats the only injury i've sustained, but damn....anyone else go through this crap?

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i got this lace up sock thing that seems to help a bit, and of course the one time i dont wear it i break my ankle and am out for 5 weeks in a cast then another month after that to get the muscle back.....it blowwsssssssss, ice, heat and ibuprofen(for swelling) and elevate that thing is really all you can do

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
When I ride hard I'll wear these ankle braces that I have left over from basketball when I was a teenager. They seem to help. I've rolled my ankles HARD so many times. Its ****ty man. Its like they are made for it. I need to get some high tops or something

I'm dealing with other problems now though. Stubbed my big toe 9 months ago and it never stopped hurting. Doctor called it turf toe and said it would take a few months to get better. Nope. he was an idiot. I had x-rays 2 days ago and theres jagged bone floating around, too bad I waited 9 months before I second guessed the diagnosis. Gonna have surgery after the holidays to fix me up.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I've had the same problem, rolled both of my ankles on seperate occasions. I wear these braces on each ankle now called "active ankle"

I would highly recomend getting them, or any brace for that matter. But If you do get a brace MAKE SURE you get one that has solid sides. A brace just made out of fabric is not ment for landing on it with a lot of force (such as jumping off your bike in the air) and won't be able to support you ankle from a fall as well as one with plastic or metal plated sides. With these braces I can't move my foot from side to side at all which is amazing they have saved me so many times.

Heal up quick though, icing helps i guess but just try and stay off it for a while.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
ive used the active ankle for other stuff, i cant imagine trying to bail on a jump and running it out with them on though.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
I've had the same problem, rolled both of my ankles on seperate occasions. I wear these braces on each ankle now called "active ankle"

I would highly recomend getting them, or any brace for that matter. But If you do get a brace MAKE SURE you get one that has solid sides. A brace just made out of fabric is not ment for landing on it with a lot of force (such as jumping off your bike in the air) and won't be able to support you ankle from a fall as well as one with plastic or metal plated sides. With these braces I can't move my foot from side to side at all which is amazing they have saved me so many times.

Heal up quick though, icing helps i guess but just try and stay off it for a while.
Sweet. This is exactly what i'm looking for. I'm on the site now and wondering if I go with one of those or something like the power-lacer type:

Price really isnt an issue, I'm just wondering what would be best for the riding application...I do still want to have a lot of flexibility. Do you still have 100% complete range of (desired) motion with the plastic shell type?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
I roll my ankles all the fcking time... its almost to the point where its a medical problem but I have been lucky for a while now. If you go to a doctor and convince them that it IS a medical problem they can write you a prescription for a medical ankle brace. I got one for a broken wrist and godamn they are seriously nice, if only action sports companies could step up their products...

the only thing you need to consider before wearing an ankle brace like that (something with padded metal rods that wont allow your ankle to move in that direction) is that your muscles are going to weaken pretty significantly and you really do need to wear the brace every single time you ride.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Check out the McDavid line for braces. What you can do as far as rehab is get a Thera Band ( http://www.thera-band.com/ )... There are alot of diffrent motions that should help stabilize the ligaments. For me, I play football at a JUCO right now and after getting my ankle's taped all season they have become a bit weak, so you may want to consider not wearing them all the time on the bike. I know your not putting as much pressure as you are when running, but just sayin'..

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
i second the strength building exercises / rehab. a brace is a band-aid of sorts. address the root of the problem, which may be some kind of strength deficiency.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've got those power-lacer braces. And I agree on the strengthening/rehab road. The braces protect my ankles but I've always had the thought in my head that if I use them all the time my muscles and ligaments will weaken and I'll be depending on the braces for support. I've got one of these
and it helps strengthen my ankles but its hard to keep using it regularly.

I'd like to get an indo board though... Those things are fun!

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Sweet. This is exactly what i'm looking for. I'm on the site now and wondering if I go with one of those or something like the power-lacer type:

Price really isnt an issue, I'm just wondering what would be best for the riding application...I do still want to have a lot of flexibility. Do you still have 100% complete range of (desired) motion with the plastic shell type?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Yes, I use the same exact brace I pictured in my first post. its amazing for riding because unlike that one you still have 100 percent up down motion of the foot for pedaling, but absolutly zero side to side movement. They also protect your ankles from scratchs I looked at mine the other day and their completely scratched up, so thats another plus. Haha but yeah mine cost $40 each so almost 100 bucks is a lot to spend on braces but definitely worth it imo.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
i second the strength building exercises / rehab. a brace is a band-aid of sorts. address the root of the problem, which may be some kind of strength deficiency.

I am down for strength building, but I have to imagine that ankle durability may be hereditary as well. Theres no reason why I can't improve my ankle strength beyond what it is now, but I may never be able to get to the level I need to to endure the type of riding we do. My ankles are skinny as fyck just looking at them haha....

Last edited:

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Or better yet, wear a brace just for riding, and do strength training as well.

Yes, that is exactly what I am planning to do. I went ahead and purchased 1 active ankle "Volt" brace. I purchased 1 rather than two because I want to make sure I like it. If I do, I'll probably go ahead and get the second. But for now I'll wear the brace on the ankle that was most recently rolled.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll try to do a full review with pictures etc after I receive the brace.

Thanks! :thumb: