Quantcast

Annoying Ridemonkey Banner Ads

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The new crop of banner ads with the annoying sound effects, like flies and frogs, are horrendous. I can't even stop them from making the sound.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
sanjuro said:
The new crop of banner ads with the annoying sound effects, like flies and frogs, are horrendous. I can't even stop them from making the sound.
Hi, my name is FIREFOX and I'm happy to meet you. Please also get to know my good friend, ADBLOCK . You will find us to be among your closest companions while travelling the dangerous and sometimes annoying paths of the internet.

Please enjoy your time with us.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If I can figure out what network they are coming from. I'll turn them off.

Buck Fever - since those ads pay for the operation of this site - I'm sure you will be one of the first ones in line to purchase a premium, ad free mebership later this year. Thanks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
RM, if we have Firefox blocking things, it hurts your revenue? If we click on banner ads occasionally, does that make up for things?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MikeD said:
RM, if we have Firefox blocking things, it hurts your revenue? If we click on banner ads occasionally, does that make up for things?
Yeah, annoying as they are, the ads pay for the site. I'm not supposed to encourage clicking on ads, but I'm sure as a consumer you can decide about that. ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ridemonkey said:
Yeah, annoying as they are, the ads pay for the site. I'm not supposed to encourage clicking on ads, but I'm sure as a consumer you can decide about that. ;)
Wow, I had know idea that the advertisers knew they were being blocked, anymore than the company that puts up a billboard knows how many people choose to read it...it's Internet magic!

I'll keep clicking, myself. Doubly so now that I know Firefox screws with yo' cash flow...

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
Wow, I had know idea that the advertisers knew they were being blocked, anymore than the company that puts up a billboard knows how many people choose to read it...it's Internet magic!
Well, the advertiser doesn't know he's being blocked, but if RM is getting paid based on banner impressions (vs. banner clicks), every time a banner is blocked, it's X amount less money he gets.

Come to think of it, I guess it depends on how the ad-block programs work. If it simply prevents the ad from being displayed (that is, it still goes out and retrieves the ad but doesn't put it on the screen), then RM still gets paid for that impression. If it actually snips the banner out of the page HTML that it downloads, though, RM won't get the $$... Anyone know specifically how those programs work?

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
binary visions said:
Well, the advertiser doesn't know he's being blocked, but if RM is getting paid based on banner impressions (vs. banner clicks), every time a banner is blocked, it's X amount less money he gets.

Come to think of it, I guess it depends on how the ad-block programs work. If it simply prevents the ad from being displayed (that is, it still goes out and retrieves the ad but doesn't put it on the screen), then RM still gets paid for that impression. If it actually snips the banner out of the page HTML that it downloads, though, RM won't get the $$... Anyone know specifically how those programs work?
I believe the ad is still downloaded and the HTML is prevented from loading on the screen. So RM can keep his revenue.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Buck Fever said:
I believe the ad is still downloaded and the HTML is prevented from loading on the screen. So RM can keep his revenue.
Seems like a waste of bandwidth to download the image and not show it. I'd think a smart programmer would just snip the entire image link right out of the source HTML before the page loads.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
Seems like a waste of bandwidth to download the image and not show it. I'd think a smart programmer would just snip the entire image link right out of the source HTML before the page loads.
different adblockers work different ways. adblock doesn't download iirc, but pithhelmet, which is for safari on macs, acts as a proxy, so ads are downloaded but not forwarded from the local proxy to the browser itself. (this is why pithhelmet is slow and why i don't use it any more.)

yeah, from http://adblock.mozdev.org/ :
The latest dev-branch already includes:

* Blocking filtered-items before they load

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Ridemonkey said:
Buck Fever - since those ads pay for the operation of this site - I'm sure you will be one of the first ones in line to purchase a premium, ad free mebership later this year. Thanks.
Hey RM- was this a harbinger of things to come or just a snappy retort?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Ridemonkey said:
If I can figure out what network they are coming from. I'll turn them off.

I might be down with kicking in some $$$ in exchange for ad-free ridemonkey. I would rather let you administer me not seeing ads. :eviltongu :)

On a (sort of) related note........I'll bet most of us wouldn't block the ads on RM if they were even remotely relevant to our interests. We might even click-through on some of them if they interested us. :think:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
berkshire_rider said:
On a (sort of) related note........I'll bet most of us wouldn't block the ads on RM if they were even remotely relevant to our interests. We might even click-through on some of them if they interested us. :think:
You ever tried selling an ad to a bike company? I certainly appreciate our current and past advertisers, but the bike industry in general is insane.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I hear you. Just pointing out the ads have pretty much nothing the average RM member would be interested in, so not only do they not want to see them, they certainly aren't going to click on them. Unless, of course, we can help you pay for the site by sending you $.10 per click. :sneaky:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is a funny one. Those stupid banner ads is what makes this a free site. But they have no interest or value to me.

Unlike TV, where the remote control has given me a freedom man does not deserve, without clicking on those ads, RM makes no money.

I wish the ads were more relevant, but I appreciate at least taking out the sound.

P.S. I use Mozilla. I will have to look into ad blocks....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, RM get revenue from the ads no matter where the viewer is located?? or only for those hits within geographical market reach of the advertiser???

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ridemonkey said:
Yeah I emailed the ad network and requested that all ads with sound be removed.
BTW if I see that damn spy walking around, that friggin robber, or even the damn roach, I always shoot/squash his/its ass. Ive even done it several times in a row just for $hits and giggles, helps revenue eh, glad I could be of assistance.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Ridemonkey said:
Both :dancing:
And very snappy it was. I'm so happy you're here to make such clever remarks AND to save us from our dirty posting habits.

Anywho, it could be inferred that my post was to help a member rid himself of ads containing offensive material (such as sound) on sites where he might find it useful. I don't think that's stepping over the line.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
ALEXIS_DH said:
so, RM get revenue from the ads no matter where the viewer is located?? or only for those hits within geographical market reach of the advertiser???

A lot of the ads are geo-targetted on delivery, so if you see them, they have already determined you are in the target audience.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ridemonkey said:
A lot of the ads are geo-targetted on delivery, so if you see them, they have already determined you are in the target audience.
make sense now why i see so many ads with the "wanna live in the US, get your green card"....
:monkey:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Buck Fever said:
No, the ad impression is NOT loaded, so no ad views are tabulated. DO you think the ad publishers are stupid?

If you dont display the ads, RM loses revenue. Most of these ads only pay about $1-2 CPM (per thousand impressions). So yes, let the damn ads be displayed.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
then you get a new banner ad without the sound. easy as pie, no more annoying flies and frogs.