Quantcast

Anodizing - textured/matte finish. Calling bullcrew?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thought this might be one for you, or anyone else that knows.

Looking to get a frame anodized, and want that nice textured finish that both specialized and santacruz have on their ano frames. It makes the frame look matte instead of shiny like ano hubs / headsets etc.

Just wondering what the procedure is to get this finish / how it's accomplished? I thought it would be a product of the blasting method prior to anodizing, but I don't really know. Frame is painted currently if that matters.

Thanks

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
I think it's both bead blasting and a specific type of ano. The stuff you mentioned (hubs etc) is usually 'bright' anodising, and there's another process that gives the matt look you're after. There's also a process called hard anodising, it's much more scratch and corrosion resistant.

You'd be getting someone else to do it, yeah? Ask them ;-)

Edit: note that anodising affects tolerances and other things like that. You might want to look into this first.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I'm currently getting my frame anodized as well.

For the matte finish go with bead blasting and hard anodizing, thats what their doing for my frame at least. There may be other alternatives so look into it some more as far as finishes go, but the method listed above is definately an option.

An important thing to remember when anodizing is make sure every opening on the frame (i.e. holes for venting welding gases) is pluged up with a plug, silicone they reccomended to me. the BB threads you may want to cover as well, not sure if thats as important - bullcrew would know how they're tolorances are effected better off.

another thing to note if your going with hard anodizing, look for a more industrial place, not a place that does paintball guns and ****. You'll get a more "wholesale" price with that and usually a good "mil spec" tolarance promise. Also try and go on the day before or during they change their chemicals out in the tank, they usually will give u a deal or cheaper price at least. good luck - I'm either going with a gold finish or clear - both u cant really duplicated with powder coating or painting so it will look more unique.

also note that with the different grade aluminums that often come in frames (i.e. cast then machined head tubes, cast drop outs, bb assemblys) you will get different shades of colors in the final color. cast parts usually get darker i think. that is another reason why im going with clear or gold, i was told that gold hides the color changes better with different grades, and well clear or silver is just anodizing without color added, so theres nothing to hide and who doesnt like a clear finish now adayz i mean think of all the weight saved by not adding dye! :disgust1:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Be really careful who you get to do it udi.

I asked around a few places in sydney when i was thinking of doing it and they wouldn't touch bike frames. The general gist of it was they won't do it because of the holes, and the potential for the chemicals to get inside the frame and weaken it, or something to that affect, and them not wanting to take the risk.

If you want to save the weight, can't get it anodized and don't care so much about looks then maybe get the frame bead blasted raw and leave it. It will look like xy9ine PDC, a dull silver color.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146516&page=7&highlight=pdc

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I was so sure that bead blasting gave that finish, but a friend didn't seem to think so, so just wanted to confirm.

About the chemicals or whatever, interesting... I think the only issue the guys here mentioned was being able to drain it fast enough after going in the etching/cleaning solution or whatever before putting it in the anodizing tank.

If there was an issue though, how would santacruz/specialized go about it? They are all anodized without any form of plugging (the whole inside of the frame is the same colour as the outside) and yeah I had no dramas with either of mine. In fact I miss it sooo much, coz as well as saving weight it's the best ever coating in terms of maintaining appearance over a year of shuttle abuse. Raw/silver isn't my thing unfortunately.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
No idea about how santa cruz etc do it, but i do know that dave turner (turner bikes) won't anodize anymore because it destroyed a whole bunch of his brand new frames. I tried searching on mtbr for the thread but i can't find it. Maybe it depends on the chemicals used, or material? Im not sure.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
About the chemicals or whatever, interesting... I think the only issue the guys here mentioned was being able to drain it fast enough after going in the etching/cleaning solution or whatever before putting it in the anodizing tank.
the stripper that i use won't chem strip bike frames for this reason; they can't adequately purge the nasty stuff from the inside of the tubes. the media blast was a quick & cheap solution. i had the matt silver anno on my ufo, and the finish looks nearly identical to the raw blast (though i imagine the raw will be more susceptible to scuffing)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Gah - I've got the Sunday in the van now and was gonna drop it off to get ano'ed after work today. Bit of a PITA the lack of real knowledgable anodisers around here with any experience in bike frames.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
glass bead #70 fine low pressure and even flow. The frames will have holes that will allow draining and as long as the follow procedure with the rinse times and tanks you wont have a problem unless its the new socoms in which case the aluminum is already thin.
SC uses this process and last time I checked I believe it was SAPA outa Oregon doing there stuff )parent co in switzerland) anothe co that does frames is pioneer ( If I rememner the name correctly) anodizing back east he does trek and a couple of others.

Absolute is still doing stuff last time I checked they have a couple of decent guys in there.
Its in Lewiston, Idaho Absolute finish inc.

icon27

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
Longmont Colorado
Udi - Did you ever get your frame anodized? I have a Sunday and I am debating on get it anodized or go with a powder coat. Any thoughts or problems you encountered?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
been using a really cool method of metal work and paints lately. it is on the 09 cvo custom harleys this year

take the metal all the way down to raw, use a med grit wire wheel and make some wavy flamish patterns, clean the surface then shoot with any clear color (mono chromatic tint), red and blue has been working for me (it is pretty much just a clear tint) then mask out flames and shoot with a solid (been using black) then clear coat.

looks really good if you have a gun and compressor

here is a link look at the tank flames closely and you will see the waves in the metal

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Any pics of the ano Sunday built up Udi? Looks really good, probably the best aftermarket paint I've seen.