Quantcast

Another Canfield Jedi

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
:banana:

I've been looking at getting a new DH bike for the last year and a half but never could decide on what to get. It slowly evolved from a DH/Freeride bike(idea) into a full on race bike since I was only hanging around racers for a year. To say the least it will be a big upgrade from my last DH/Freeride bike ('03 Norco A-line).

Canfield first caught my eye when watching rampage clips and noticing Chris Canfield was the only one landing the 30 footer with out bouncing so immediately I wanted to see the linkage setup on his bike. It was intriguing to say the least, but the geometry and weight were a little more than I wanted. Last winter my coworker got a new DH bike so I started seriously looking and saw the Canfield Jedi. Pretty much immediately I decided on it. I looked at the Banshee thinking it would be a cheaper version of the canfield but once I figured out the approximate MSRP I went back to the Canfield. Even though I haven't ridden it on any trails yet(built it today) I am glad I chose it.

I wanted to build it up as light as is reasonable with out it requiring a lot of maintenance, so no air fork or shock. I decided on two wheelsets, a tubeless one for racing and another everyday wheelset which would be a lot more durable and a few pounds heavier. I wanted to get the bike around 38 or less with the light wheelset.

So, the specs. Since I did this with a serious eye to saving weight where I could with out sacrificing integrity. I am about 180 in full gear but I'm really light on parts and rarely break anything.

Canfield Jedi w/CCDB (frame w/all hardware 8.3lbs(medium), shock/spring 480(around this)/571g
2009 RockShox Boxxer Team (3070 w/low crown, cut steer)
Cane Creek 110 headset (120 w/cap&starnut)
Race wheels
WTB Superduty 150mm, Superduty 20mm, DT Comp/wheelsmith butted spokes, 16mm Alloy nipples, Mavic EX823 rims (pair 2290g)
Maxxis DHF/DHR UST tires (1183f/1207r)
Alligator Saw 203 rotors, steel bolts (151g ea/13g ea)
Shimano Ultegra 12-19 5spd cass (~110 w/spacers, need to weigh it)
KMC X9 SL chain (260g)

Standard wheels (no wights yet)
Hadley 32h hubs, Halo SAS rims, DT champ spokes/brass nipples (~25-2600g)
Michelin DH 16 2.5/Maxxis Minion DHF 3c
Avid 203mm rotors G3 (189g average)
Shimano XT Cass 11-32 (265g)
Shimano XT Chain (300g)

Avid Elixir CR w/ Hope boxxer adaptor/Avid rear (650g)
Sunline V1 OS 19x737mm (314g)
Sunline Half Waffle Grips (98g)
Thomson X4 50mm (183g)
SDG I Beam Micro 27.2 (cut about 110mm off, 187g)
SDG Bel Air ST (old version, 183g)
Woodmann Death grip SL post clamp (12g)
Shimano Saint Shifter (old 110g)
Shimano Shadow mid cage(really ****ing long, 224g)
Shimano SIS 5mm housing (75g)
Race Face Atlas FR 83x165mm (838 w/bb)
e.13 36t ring (42g)
Alloy ring bolts (7g)
e.13 wide backplate w/only lower chain pulley & hardware
Gamut P30 Bash (82g)
wellgo MG1 pedals (365g)

Total weight by the shop digital scale was 37.5

I'm planning on making my own chainguide which will save around 70g from the e.13. I have a 180mm rotor and adaptor on order which will save 60g. I'm also considering an obtanium spring which would be 240g lighter. Maybe I’ll get bored of not spending money and buy some ti bolts for bling or a point 1 racing stem, probably not though. I was toying around with little savings here and there so I took the fork rubber bumpers off and used bar tape instead to save an easy 30g.

A big thanks to the Canfield brothers as they are really cool people and very easy to deal with, getting the frame was probably the easiest part of the process. Cheers! :cheers:

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Killer build! I notice you're running a 5-speed set-up...I see that more and more lately, cool touch for a DH bike.

Seems like you thought the weight savings thing out pretty carefully..

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Holy crap...

Once you sort out what spring you want, you MUST get a Ti spring. Other wise you will lose the respect of every weight weenie on fashionmonkey. Myself included ;-)

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
The cage isn't really long. Your b-tension is just whack. Sick build otherwise.
It wasn't completely rideable in this pic, but I mean the cage itself(distance between pulleys) is a lot longer than my XT760.

The 5spd is a good way to drop weight, I had a seperate 5spd made with Miche cogs(125g) but those ended up sucking major ass so I switched to an ulteg and it felt significantly lighter so it's probably around 100g or less w/12, 13, 15, 17, 19.

I don't plan on buying Ti bolts any time soon, maybe next year or the year after if I get bored of not spending money on bikes. Same with the ti spring, I will buy one eventually but I have an Iron Horse MKIII Team Frame I want to build up before I buy any unnecessary parts like ti bolts or a ti spring.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Ti springs isnt necessary, but it improves the function of your rear suspension and thus rear wheel. Its not mandatory, but it defenitly is always a very good upgrade.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
have u ridden it? youll **** ur pants in joy. I just rode mine i built yesterday. WOW, all i can say... review and whatnot to come soon

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
i dont think that tire could be any closer to the frame.
Yeah, there are a few things I wish they did differently with the frame.
1. 5-10mm longer stays for tire clearance
2. 27.2 or 30.9 seat tube instead of a 30.4 with a shim
3. 1.5 headtube for zero stack, I had to ream 3mm off the headtube to make the low rise crowns fit.

Otherwise it feels amazing. Hopefully I'll get a few short semi DH runs in on tuesday and get the CCDB tuned in.:biggrin:

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
have u ridden it? youll **** ur pants in joy. I just rode mine i built yesterday. WOW, all i can say... review and whatnot to come soon
there is an elementary school on a hill near my house I bombed down and even that was amazing compared to what my old DH bike felt like. The rear wheel just stuck to the ground yet since the rear end weighs nearly nothing I can just pick it up over stuff. The rearward axle path is amazing when hitting 6"+ square edge bumps. It's hard to explain, you still feel the bump but you don't slow down.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Nice bike but I do have a couple of questions?

Why run a 5 speed to loose weight and then only have a 12 tooth small cog? You could loose 3-4 teeth off the front chain ring, gain a large amount of ground clearance and a significant weight saving by going down to an 11 and still have the same ratios.

Why no direct mount stem - is that a preference?

Oh and taking the bumpers off - rather your frame than mine . . . . . .

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Very nice man, congrats!

Can anyone give me some negatives on the Jedi?

I've only heard good things & was wondering what (if any) are the bad points of the bike, as at this point I'm really starting to lean towards getting one.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Very nice man, congrats!

Can anyone give me some negatives on the Jedi?

I've only heard good things & was wondering what (if any) are the bad points of the bike, as at this point I'm really starting to lean towards getting one.
tire clearance. The bike was designed around 2.5 minion DHF's and thats as large a tire as will clear. Also, remains to be seen how they'll do in wet/rain.

other then that, they are mind blowing

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Nice bike but I do have a couple of questions?

Why run a 5 speed to loose weight and then only have a 12 tooth small cog? You could loose 3-4 teeth off the front chain ring, gain a large amount of ground clearance and a significant weight saving by going down to an 11 and still have the same ratios.

Why no direct mount stem - is that a preference?

Oh and taking the bumpers off - rather your frame than mine . . . . . .
I could only get a hold of a 12-27 when I needed it.

I'm planning on making my own integrated stem, I just haven't done it yet.

I removed the rubber bumpers to use gel handlebar tape, serves the same purpose but is about 1/4th the weight.:cheers:

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
WOW...thats a cheap build, considering that the frame goes for $2700. How was this possible (old parts from another bike)?
I work at a shop and when I called canfield they had one dented so he gave it to me for 200$ off. I EP'd pretty much all the parts and built the wheelset for about 130-140$(used rear hub, bought a wheelset w/the 823's, sold the hubs so I got the rims for 30$ new, had the butted spokes).

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Wow thats another top Jedi, very nice, my buds rocking a Jedi with Zoke 08 ata airs and roco flipping light and hes loving it best bike hes ridden he reckons and hes had more than Ive had hot breakfasts.

Congrats, need to see some dirte piccs now [bike in action, dirte piccs] :busted:

Last edited:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
tire clearance. The bike was designed around 2.5 minion DHF's and thats as large a tire as will clear. Also, remains to be seen how they'll do in wet/rain.

other then that, they are mind blowing

Thanks man, I remember reading that once before on here now that you mention it.

I really only run Minion 2.5's so I guess that wouldn't really be an issue for me, but it is kind of a bummer if you wanted to try running wider tires...

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Thanks man, I remember reading that once before on here now that you mention it.

I really only run Minion 2.5's so I guess that wouldn't really be an issue for me, but it is kind of a bummer if you wanted to try running wider tires...
2.5 Michelins also fit with a little more clearance, not much though.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I had my first ride on it today. Woke up extra early at 6 to hike for the sunrise and ride back down. It's about a 25min hike w/1000 vert feet in a little under 2 miles. All I can say is wow, the bike was amazing. I was a little suspicious of the Alligator rotors with how little material they had but they worked great while not squealing at all. The bike ran through rocks and tall roots with out slowing and landed the few jumps there were like a baby on a pillow.

I only had my cheap point and shoot with me but the sunrise itself was amazing, most of the valley was covered in a blanket of fog and it was just amazing. Definitely worth only getting 4 hours of sleep.

Pics with the point and shoot

Similar conditions, taken with a rebel XT w/kit lense & no filter

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
sweet bike.

interested to hear your impressions on the elixir cr brakes after you've had some miles on them.

i recently bought another set of formula brakes but was taking a close look at the elixirs. one negative thing i heard was that pad/rotor clearance was not very high, but that may due to incorrect set up.

your bike looks fantastic, great build :banana:

i have a Jedi and have been riding it 3 times a week for the last 2 months and it just keeps getting better and better. I've had a tonne of bikes and this pedals better and rolls faster over the bumps then any others.

about the tyre clearance which hasn't been a problem for me, why you would run bigger then a 2.35 or a 2.5 of the rear i dont know.In the mud it's not a problem, i ride in slop like porridge and thick clay, it just builds up on the end of the link then falls off, there is a heap of clearance to the sides and that is why it clears so well.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
The bike looks great. I've seen a few of them, and i think it looks pretty good with the links the color they are.

I'd like to ride one of those for a few runs. I've kinda eyeballed them a bit too. I live out by Chris, so i see him out riding here and there. I took his Lucky for a run at one of the local mountains and i really liked that one. Anybody know why they don't make them anymore?

That Jedi is a pretty cool design. One of my riding buddies borrowed Chris' Jedi at the Deer Valley NCS when his own bike broke in practice. He ended up winning the semi pro class by almost 9 seconds. That's crazy on a borrowed bike.