Quantcast

another college-$$$ question.....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
what do you guys pay for tuition?

how much has it gone up since you've been in school?

UT likes to feed us all this "best education for the money" line, even though our tuition is ever-increasing. gone up $1400 in 4yrs for us. this coming semester, my tuition and fees will be just over $3400.

and Mack Brown is getting a $1.7mil birthday bonus.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Approaching 36k.

Liberal Arts Jesuit University, good education, really freaking expensive.

The crazy thing is that in the 80's they had a big fit when tuition went from 7k to 10k a year.

The Ito

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I get some aid/loans but the annual fee is about 38K total (room, board, food, everything) before all that. Sucks but that's the way it goes. It's gone up every year for the last few. Few grand in total.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mine was somewhere on the order of $38k/year for undergrad. and that's tuition only.

med school is going to be $29.5k/year all inclusive, and my "aid" consists of $10k of loans. thanks, guys :dead:

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
When I came in as a freshman, I think it was around $33K. I think my fourth year was $36K. According to their website, this year its $40K for tuition, room & board, & fees.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Boy am I glad I never went to college. I know a lot of people that owe as much as a house in school loans. And to make it worse, I make more money than most of my "educated" friends. Kinda makes it hard to justify, unless you can guarantee a good salary, i.e. a Doctor.

Plus I got a 14 yr old daughter thinking about college. I think I am one of the few parents who could care less. I just tell her it's her choice.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by Jesus
I know a lot of people that owe as much as a house in school loans.
I don't owe that much, but at my current monthly payment, I'll have my school loans paid off in 2017 (not a joke). The one positive note is that the interest is tax deductable.

Originally posted by Jesus
And to make it worse, I make more money than most of my "educated" friends.
I got my undergrad in 1994, and didn't put it to use until the second job I got after graduation (in 1999). For those 5 years there were lots of guys I worked with that did not have a degree that were making more than me.................just a wee bit depressing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
'92-'96 my tuition was about $20K/year. I did not pay a red cent then though. I got $12K/year in grants and borrowed the rest. Right now I only have about $2K left in student loans.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Damn, I can't believe what some of you pay. :dead:

I went to a state school from 1990-1995. $1500 per semester plus books and some summer classes puts my total college education (B.S.) at a little under $20,000. I paid as I went (three part time jobs).

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
About 15k/semester w/room-board/fees/some food

I guess it'll be going up at CU too...throw on another 60k for law school and that is what I have ahead of me.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
If I seek politcal exile in canada will my loans follow me? If I moved in canada as a resident will my loans follow me? Moving back in the united states will they be there still? Might file bankruptcy post college, what do I loose from me when I do?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If I seek politcal exile in canada will my loans follow me? If I moved in canada as a resident will my loans follow me? Moving back in the united states will they be there still? Might file bankruptcy post college, what do I loose from me when I do?
School loans are loans directly from the govt. They never go away, even if you bankrupt. Hopefully you got a good degree with decent paying jobs, otherwise you're screwed.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
If I were the CEO of a company looking for new employees and learned that you paid $30k a year or semester for some basic college education, I would seriously have to question your business savvy.

It's slightly more tolerable if it's a professional degree undergraduate or graduate program, but even then, $15k/ year or less will get you the same thing in most states.

Unless your degree says Harvard, Princeton, Yale or MIT, no one cares if you went to the Ken Copeland Institute of Higher Sourcery.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What possible reason could you come up with to be planning to file bankruptcy after graduating?

Bankruptcy does not discharge your student loans.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
FYI, most debts of the size of college loans are not written off by creditors. They go to court, and if the courts cannot find you, they issue a summary judgement against you, typically giving the creditors whatever they want as long as it appears fair (i.e. full repayment + interest + fees).

Once that happens, you are essentially SOL. If you ever come back to the country, they can garnish your wages until the debt is repaid and I believe the statute of limitations does not apply once a judgement is issued (it only applies if the creditor doesn't go to court before it expires).

You can move permanently, but if the creditor has a presence in the other country, they can transfer the debt if the deem it to be worth the time/money to do so. I don't know how this works if the creditor is the government, but since debts can be sold to private parties, I wouldn't count on this to protect you.

(source: my experience working for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy trustee)

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
This sounds like an excellent plan. Do it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i went to a private out of state uni... $24k a year when I started (2002). when i graduated ('07) it was up to $36k a year. it's now north of $40k a year. Note: this includes R&B.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I went to a Cal State school. I remember it being in the $2500 range per semester for in state tuition. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa for letting me graduate debt free.