Quantcast

Another DH'ers Trail bike Dilemma

i dig my singlespeed cyclocross bike. it's kick ass for commuting and doing cardio rides on a few of the non-tech trails here in NOVA. its just another quiver in my stable. i think there is value in riding a singlespeed, forces me to really focus on maintaining momentum, pumping and cornering. the only type of bike that i think is ghey are those lame fixies hipsters ride, nor am i a big fan of elitist roadies.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Me sorry!

Im an antagonist. SS is for some, Im just being a jerk/hater.

But I do stand by the Blur LT with a 160mm fork -- a Talas 36 in fact!

Better yet, an LTc.

You can get pretty kookoo on that setup and rip all but the roughest/steepest 'gnar' IMO!

dezhamer16

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
i just finishing putting together my '10 remedy 9.8 to the tune of 28 pounds out of the box. it is a carbon front triangle but i don't think you'd have to worry about breaking it, it's pretty burly. have gotten a chance to break her in on the trails but it looks really enticing. ps- im in clemson, if you'd like to come take a look. pm me

edit- the carbon models don't have iscg mounts though. the remedy 8 is pretty sweet though...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i just finishing putting together my '10 remedy 9.8 to the tune of 28 pounds out of the box. it is a carbon front triangle but i don't think you'd have to worry about breaking it, it's pretty burly. have gotten a chance to break her in on the trails but it looks really enticing. ps- im in clemson, if you'd like to come take a look. pm me

edit- the carbon models don't have iscg mounts though. the remedy 8 is pretty sweet though...
I appreciate the offer but I actually graduated last May so I'm back home in MD.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
In reference to your question about the Mongoose Khyber, I will again bear witness to it's all 'round goodness. The geo is spot on for an AM bike, and it rides kind of like a high forward single pivot without the overt braking issues. My only 2 minor complaints would be frame weight (which isn't necessarily bad, but compared to some of the newer carbon offerings it looks a little porky) and bearing durability of the little guys behind the BB link. I am going to switch out the stock bearings with a higher quality set, so hopefully that will address the issue. That said, I've only replaced them once, and I ride it pretty frequently, so I suppose it isn't that out of line with normal bearing life. FWIW, I've found my Khyber to be superior to my old Nomad in terms of ride quality, geo, and obviously price. The downside with the Mongoose is the resale value. You're basically stuck with it unless you're willing to give it away. But, I'm OK with that :thumb:

As for the GT, I haven't ridden one, but since the I-Drive is pretty similar to the Freedrive system, I would guess they perform and feel about the same.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the Ibis Mojo. Its what i would choose if i were to buy an AM frame.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I've put miles on the Mojo. It surprised me that it won 'am bike of year' so many times. I figured it was probably due largely to the trails they tested it on, or the testers themselves. I found the Mojo fell into the same category as a BLT2, all xc with a bit more travel. There's little about it that would make it choice for hairy mountain descents over the competition IMO. Aside from the flex (an issue I'm not touching with a 10 foot pole), I thought it handled great as a trail bike. Possibly a bit too steep with a 140mm fork for the people looking in this thread though.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Right, cept hes looking for a DH'ers trail bike, not an AM bike. They are two very different things. Good call though, those bikes are neat.
Possibly a bit too steep with a 140mm fork for the people looking in this thread though.
True. The new Mojo HD which apparently will be out soon should fit the OP's requirements better, god knows what its going to cost though.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
True. The new Mojo HD which apparently will be out soon should fit the OP's requirements better, god knows what its going to cost though.
My feelings exactly, I saw the review on PB of the new Mojo HD and it looks sweet but I'm scared to know what the cost is. I also feel like the price will be slightly inflated as a result of lopes.

pastcaring

Chimp
Nov 22, 2006
have been told the sect will be here in march.

the yeti 5 also looks good.

it's winter so i'll just ride my old bike around in the mud.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Second the Banshee Rune idea. If was living in the mountains instead of travelling there for shuttle days I'd seriously consider getting it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

or this?
I've got a sanction. Put DH bars, coil roco, and 66 ata on it. It's pretty sick. I've done everything from fireroad XC on it do 10 foot drops and 20 ft doubles. I love it. Super versatile, great pedaling, great design. Could be a little slacker, but I think the newer ones are (mine's a 08). PM me for more info if you want.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've got a sanction. Put DH bars, coil roco, and 66 ata on it. It's pretty sick. I've done everything from fireroad XC on it do 10 foot drops and 20 ft doubles. I love it. Super versatile, great pedaling, great design. Could be a little slacker, but I think the newer ones are (mine's a 08). PM me for more info if you want.
The HA on the 2010 is 66. I actually just sent an e-mail to my GT rep to get a little more info.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Just picked up a custom Yeti 575. It is one of a handful of employee only frames that comes with a tapered headtube and iscg tabs. I think I'm going to to go with a tapered lyrik, hammerschmidt and easton havens. Should be fun...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Just picked up a custom Yeti 575. It is one of a handful of employee only frames that comes with a tapered headtube and iscg tabs. I think I'm going to to go with a tapered lyrik, hammerschmidt and easton havens. Should be fun...
So you bought that...
:thumb: Should be an awesome bike!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Anyone looking for a sturdy frame with
~6" travel
66 deg 1.5" HT
13.6" BB w/ 73mm shell and QR rear wheel
pedal friendly, uninterrupted 73 deg seat tube
and ample choice of TT/WB lengths?

Look no further than the 2009 Stinky Six / Minxy, especially when low on funds. ;)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yeah they are, but I am not sure that thats correct either. I remember seeing 17" floating around too, and it seems weird that they'd have such long stays on a bike like that.

Guess we'll see.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the new g spot looks sweet if the chainstays are a little shorter than listed even better. All the numbers seem spot on and with a an offset internal headset it could make a sweet mini dh bike.

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
I've really enjoyed my SXC 70. Although the bearings are ****, they are easy to replace. Wish it had grease ports like some of the new bikes.