Quantcast

Another Fun Karpiel Thread

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So.... my bike pedals like ass because i run a 32t ring up front, but thats what i need to run to do the stuff i ride around here. Im going to get a 40t ring/guide for DH but for freeride i need my 32. I know that Karps pedal great with a certain ring (40 i think), so if i made an upper chain pulley ala Canfield would it mimick the pull that a 44 tooth ring would give me. So basicly, would a pulley thing make my bike pedal good.

*I am not concerned about cost or getting it made, ive got that covered. And no, im not buying an SPV shock.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ass is code for bob-rific incase you didnt know

With a big ring (40 or larger) the chain torque comes from higher up causing the dropout to be pulled into the ground, but my 32t is too small, so there isnt the chain torque coming from up high where it needs to be

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
i know the push is kind of SPV but its not full blown SPV like a 5th, it might pedal well with a 5th but i hate the way that shock feels.

Come on, somebody should know if my idea will work

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Remember the Trek Diesel prototypes? They did almost the exact same thing you're talking about, with a roller that directed the chain straight at the pivot point before it went to the chainring. Hell, for all I know, the production Diesels may even have this feature too. But anywho, that sounds like what you want to do, and it seemed to work when Trek tried it out. Go for it, it'll be a good experiment.

EDIT: Except the Trek is a single pivot, and your Karpiel is a.... something else. So maybe I'm an idiot.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
actually with a 38 tooth ring, it would handle just as good as with a 40tooth. i had it like that for about 4months. then it got stolen.....

biker3

Turbo Monkey
shouldn't an overpriced FSR bike that your have to wait to get imported sound a little better performing? Maybe sell the hunk and get a HT and that should sovle your pedaling woes. Also try a vpp bike with a "correctly" set up 5th and i assure you will have mucho perfecto pedaling.

haha just a suggestion but you have a nice bike...

Jann Krapile should go away already. The guy is a crok.
He should pay off his past debts and get his head out of his arse.

I'm sick of his business practices, or lack there of, and His bikes.

Oh happy day oh happy day it will be when Krapile is out fo business.

Well, it only took a twleve pack and waiting for a limo in Georgia for me to spill my feelings,,,,but there ya have it ya'all.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by biker3
shouldn't an overpriced FSR bike that your have to wait to get imported sound a little better performing? Maybe sell the hunk and get a HT and that should sovle your pedaling woes. Also try a vpp bike with a "correctly" set up 5th and i assure you will have mucho perfecto pedaling.

haha just a suggestion but you have a nice bike...
not FSR, not imported.......

biker3

Turbo Monkey
wannabe FSR and if its not imported then why the hell does it take like 6 months to get one is my question? why should a bikes pedaling ability depend on the ring up front. i can understand with a small ring your must pedal more to get the same amount of movement out of a larger ring but shouldnt a 2k frame or however much they cost have that issue covered? My lovely single pivot with a 5th E pedals excellent in all ring applications.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by biker3
wannabe FSR and if its not imported then why the hell does it take like 6 months to get one is my question? why should a bikes pedaling ability depend on the ring up front. i can understand with a small ring your must pedal more to get the same amount of movement out of a larger ring but shouldnt a 2k frame or however much they cost have that issue covered? My lovely single pivot with a 5th E pedals excellent in all ring applications.
you need to be educated on this, ALL bike suspension designs have an optimal front-ring gear size, it just depens on what gearing its optimized for (and some people simply dont notice these things). The Karpiel is as much as an FSR wannabe as a single pivot would be, if you actually look at it, theres not a trace of ressemblance. And it takes so long to get them because its a small inept company.

Just because its an expensive frame, it doesnt mean it can magically alter physics; the Karp (i assume) was designed around tall gears because its a DH machine.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Internal14

Well, it only took a twleve pack and waiting for a limo in Georgia for me to spill my feelings,,,,but there ya have it ya'all.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
No really Myke, tell us how you really feel.;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
So.... my bike pedals like ass because i run a 32t ring up front, but thats what i need to run to do the stuff i ride around here. Im going to get a 40t ring/guide for DH but for freeride i need my 32. I know that Karps pedal great with a certain ring (40 i think), so if i made an upper chain pulley ala Canfield would it mimick the pull that a 44 tooth ring would give me. So basicly, would a pulley thing make my bike pedal good.

*I am not concerned about cost or getting it made, ive got that covered. And no, im not buying an SPV shock.
Mine pedaled well with a 42t when it could be pedaled.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i know the push is kind of SPV but its not full blown SPV like a 5th, it might pedal well with a 5th but i hate the way that shock feels.

Come on, somebody should know if my idea will work
I know I've ranted about this before......... Karpiels bob from suspension extension, not compression like almost every other bike. A shock like a swinger or 5th element built to filter out pedal torqued compression is not going to do dick for your frame in anything other than standing up, downhill sprinting......ie, the "bob" from bouncing your weight up and down.

If you really want to improve your pedaling, get the shorter lower links that Jan uses on the 4x frames (I'm sure you can find a pair somewhere).

In answer to your other quesion about the higher chainline, yes it will work. I had a disco with a triple chainring setup which also pedalled like ass and out of curiousity one day, put on an mrp boomerang and threw the chain over the top roller and pedalled around in a 22t ring up a hill in my neighborhood. It didn't bounce. For a visual, look at the bikes like a balfa and brooklyn and look how hight the pivots are. Without the elevated chainline, they too would suffer from extension, not compression upon pedal pressure. Same basic effect with Karpiels.

After screwing aound with Karpiels for a few years I realized little tricks you can do to make them work better as freeride bikes. Then I came to the realization that my disco was a downhill bike, made to use a big chainring.............. and sold it.:D

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Originally posted by Internal14

Well I know he's not long for this world. So sure of it that I made up my mind not to buy another bike from him. Bought a Disco from Karl Rogne instead. He's like four months behind on rent, getting evicted, has no tubing, no welder, but is still taking peoples money. Not a good sign. Anyone want to buy a bike company with me??? Or should I buy it at the IRS fire sale for ten cents on the dollar. He wants $500,000 for 1/2 of the company :rolleyes: and still wants to run it himself:rolleyes:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by dhtahoe
Well I know he's not long for this world. So sure of it that I made up my mind not to buy another bike from him. Bought a Disco from Karl Rogne instead. He's like four months behind on rent, getting evicted, has no tubing, no welder, but is still taking peoples money. Not a good sign. Anyone want to buy a bike company with me??? Or should I buy it at the IRS fire sale for ten cents on the dollar. He wants $500,000 for 1/2 of the company :rolleyes: and still wants to run it himself:rolleyes:
Glad I got my frame then.

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
Originally posted by dhtahoe
Interesting! Now it makes sense on why it took over 9 months for him to get me a new swingarm.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by samich457
Yep! Everytime I called it was suppose to be done the following week . It got old fast. It sucks cause I really like my Armeggeddon.
That sounds very familiar to what Jan kept telling someone I know who just got an Army. The reason it takes so long to receive a frame or swing arm from Karpiel is that they have a very special heat treat process which takes five weeks to complete. :rolleyes: :p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My buddy noticed his Disco was really cracked last week. He decided to get a Demo instead of dealing with Jan. Sounds like a new front end would take a LONG time when your 4 months late on rent and have no tubing.:dead:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Joe Pozer
That sounds very familiar to what Jan kept telling someone I know who just got an Army. The reason it takes so long to receive a frame or swing arm from Karpiel is that they have a very special heat treat process which takes five weeks to complete. :rolleyes: :p
HEY!!!!!!! The bike was only 2 1/2 weeks late. You riding with me on Sat?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Zark
My buddy noticed his Disco was really cracked last week. He decided to get a Demo instead of dealing with Jan. Sounds like a new front end would take a LONG time when your 4 months late on rent and have no tubing.:dead:
I don't know how much is BS or what not, but in talking to Jan he was all caught up in production and actually has material in stock as of last week.

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
I ride a Disco with an Avy and a 32 tooth ring. I have a 38 on the way. Right now, it seems to peddle very well. Maybe it's because the damper is valved for freeriding(so it has more low speed rebound), or I don't know. It works, that's what I know.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I don't know how much is BS or what not, but in talking to Jan he was all caught up in production and actually has material in stock as of last week.
It doesn't matter Brian, he is getting a new bike and won't have to deal with that shady Jan guy any more.

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
Originally posted by Zark
This is why Im done with small companies. Not that these situations happen with all, but its just not worth the hassle.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Well if that's really the case why not contract an engineer to design somethign for you rather than getting internet certified engineers to speculate.

If you've got the resources to get it done the only way to really know if a jockey pulley would work would be to try it out. Or you could run 3 rings and mash away in a 40T ring untill you just couldn't go anymore then shift and bob the rest of the way up the hill in the 32T.